mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Logging road wilderness

I live on my sailboat and am frequently in BC wilderness where there are old logging roads which I would like to explore by bike. I am shopping for a bike and saw a Giant Yukon Manitou model for sale. I could find no reference to model Manitou. Have you heard of this model. I am seeking a mountain bike suitable for these rough old roads and also a trailer to tow behind the bike. If you are riding similar terrain perhaps you could let me know what and how your rig is working out for you.... Many thanks...

ups and downs
    The Manitou would be the fork brand name, the Giant Yukon came with a Manitou Six Sport fork in 2003. That's getting to be an old bike, it would likely need some work to make it trail worthy. It was a recreational hardtail so was light duty and fairly inexpensive in 2003. It should be fine for fire/logging roads, but you'll likely be taxing the drivetrain and brake components hauling a trailer on rough terrain

2003 Giant Yukon - BikePedia
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Thanks RUH....

....good info... appreciated. Just wondering what would be a rugged enough bike to handle a bike trailer and logging roads in mid range pricing...

2003 Giant Yukon - BikePedia[/QUOTE]

ups and downs
    You'd want a bike with a minimum of Shimano Deore or Deore LX drivetrain (Shimano gear, in increasing order of quality & price, goes Deore / Deore LX/ Deore XT / XTR), or SRAM X-7 or X-9 drivetrain (SRAM product runs X-5 / X-7 / X-9 / X-0). Shimano has a bunch of lower end products like Acera and Alivio that are really for rolling around urban areas, even though they show up on cheaper mountain bikes.

Those will increase the likelihood that you won't have the gears fold up or explode climbing a hill 20km from your boat.

And you want some name brand brakes, so either Shimano or Avid brakes.

All the frames are about the same quality in the price points you're looking for, so it's wheels, fork, drivetrain, and brakes that determines the price.

If you're buying used, any bike over 5 years old that has been ridden a lot is likely going to need a fork service, and likely brake and drivetrain freshening up (pads/chains/gears/cables), so add in $150-$200 to what you see as the purchase price to bring the bike back to being reliable. People usually sell stuff because it is about to cost them a bunch to service.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada