PVR
    Crash Test Dummy

Larch Hills Traverse

One of the great little rides in this part of BC. We have a group ride organized for tomorrow, this will be my third time on the route in the last year - I never get tired of it. Lots of variety, singletrack, climbs, and a great descent into Sicamous at the end.

Highly recomended if you are out this way

Pinkbike video from last year
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/91216/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    One of the great little rides in this part of BC. We have a group ride organized for tomorrow, this will be my third time on the route in the last year - I never get tired of it. Lots of variety, singletrack, climbs, and a great descent into Sicamous at the end.

Highly recomended if you are out this way

Pinkbike video from last year
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/91216/
    Here's a more up to date video. About 8km of singletrack added since your ride. About 2 kms of Rubberhead trails added since our ride this summer.

Article http://www.pinkbike.com/news/salmon-arm-2010.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Where exactly is the Sicamous trail head?

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Nice footage of Rubberhead in that video Leel. The local trail builders have done a great job on these as well - we did an evening ride on them a few weeks ago.

The weather is looking great for tomorrow, rain today will make the surface nice and tacky - 24 degrees and sunny forecast tomorrow. I love fall rides in the southern Interior!

[edit] Jeff - I notice in the Pinkbike article that the writers rode from Sicamous to Larch Hills. It's a FAR better ride the other way - the descent into Sicamous is a dynamite way to end the ride, not nearly as much fun climbing up!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Yup - we were with someone who wanted to try the reverse. We concluded the regular way is better

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    [edit] Jeff - I notice in the Pinkbike article that the writers rode from Sicamous to Larch Hills. It's a FAR better ride the other way - the descent into Sicamous is a dynamite way to end the ride, not nearly as much fun climbing up!

The descent into Sicamous is one of the best I have ever ridden
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    It sure didn't disappoint on Saturday. Only had to stop once on the descent where there was a tree across the trail. PERFECT weather - warm with a slight breeze to keep you cool on the climbs and keep the bugs off - and aside from a little wet clay on the logging roads, the trail was in great shape.

This will probably be my last time on the Traverse this year but if the trail builders continue their improvements I'm looking forward to riding it again next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Larch Hills Traverse-img_1056a.jpg  

Last edited by PVR; 09-28-2010 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Traverse

Hey guys and gals,

I know its kind of last minute, but was just looking for any further advice for the ride. I was thinking of attempting this ride along with 1 other rider.

Is it safe to be in pairs on this trail? Are more riders recommended?

If so, anyone else thinking of doing the trail on Friday or Saturday?

As well, we are 2 intermediate, in shape riders, and was just hoping for a time frame to complete the full, west to east trail

Thanks folks!

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    You'll be fine with two riders - I have done it several times with just a buddy. You might want to keep your eyes open though, two of us rode the Rubberhead trails yesterday (just north west of the Traverse) and came across fresh bear scat. Friday looks like the better day for weather if we can believe the forecast.

Are you riding from the Salmon Arm (actually South Canoe) trailhead or from the Larch Hills XC lodge? If the former, budget at least 5 hours, if the latter 4. The ride is not technical but there are a few pretty good climbs and there are lots of scenic places that you may want to stop and enjoy.

It's a great ride, have fun.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Knowing what you've built that's high praise

I just wanna ride my bike
    How early in the season is Larch Hills rideable? I'm looking at various options for a long weekend trip in late May this year I figure the South Canoe and Rubberhead systems are likely snow-free by then but not sure about Larch Hills.