mtbr member
    Jul 2004

kid worthy destination....and some cool trails for dad too

First of all – thanks to the awesome input from this forum. You all make dreaming about BC riding a real treat. The awesome trip reports (thank you LeeL!) inspired our vacation last summer to Rossland and New Denver. We spent 5 days in each locale and it was amazing. Plenty of not-too-technical singletrack for the kids, and plenty of X-C/all-mountain stuff for Dad.

Next summer we’re heading to Vancouver around July 14. From there we want to do 10 days or so in 2 spots with similar characteristics to Rossland and New Denver – good variety of riding for both kids and dad, riding that’s close to town, interesting small towns with cool stuff to check out in the area, great places to relax and enjoy BC!

We’re considering the following: Squamish, Sechelt, Cumberland, Campbell River, Hornby Island…Any suggestions to help us decide what’s best in that area given our unique situation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Everything on your short list is a good choice for lots of trails close to small towns. Likely Hornby and Cumberland or Hornby and Sunshine Coast would be ideal combos.

The Sunshine coast has a variety of options

Sunshine Coast Trails, Mountain Biking & Hiking
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soto View Post
    First of all – thanks to the awesome input from this forum. You all make dreaming about BC riding a real treat. The awesome trip reports (thank you LeeL!) inspired our vacation last summer to Rossland and New Denver. We spent 5 days in each locale and it was amazing. Plenty of not-too-technical singletrack for the kids, and plenty of X-C/all-mountain stuff for Dad.

Next summer we’re heading to Vancouver around July 14. From there we want to do 10 days or so in 2 spots with similar characteristics to Rossland and New Denver – good variety of riding for both kids and dad, riding that’s close to town, interesting small towns with cool stuff to check out in the area, great places to relax and enjoy BC!

We’re considering the following: Squamish, Sechelt, Cumberland, Campbell River, Hornby Island…Any suggestions to help us decide what’s best in that area given our unique situation would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Squamish is as about as kid friendly as it gets with awesome trails for familys too. I'm a huge fan of Squish for kids. And a cool town

I think you could easily amuse yourself in Sechelt - Gibsons area for 5 days too.

If you're thinking of heading to the Island take the whole 10 days and take in Comox/ CR/Courtenay as an area. But don't try to do it all
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    My top picks would be whistler (wicked kids bike camps)s, Sechelt, squamish. Island is great too but you're going to need more than 10 days. 5 in whis+squamish and 5 on the SSC (gibson's Robert's creek Sechelt) would be sweet, or 10 in any of the spots that have been mentioned to be honest... I lived on the island for 20 years, Sechelt for 1, whistler for 3.. too much riding to shake a stick at

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just curious. Next summer my 2 oldest will be 7 & 6. They're already riding on the green XC trails in the Seattle area that aren't too hilly. What close to town trails in Squamish are there suitable for them?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
    Just curious. Next summer my 2 oldest will be 7 & 6. They're already riding on the green XC trails in the Seattle area that aren't too hilly. What close to town trails in Squamish are there suitable for them?
    The blue trails on the west side of the highway from Alice Lake (Sweet Judy, Two Cycle, Larry's Loop, Reeefer Rip, Cracked Patella) are all accessible from the bike route gravel trail. All fairly flat and a few roots to negotiate. There's about 100m of elevation change from end to end, but that's over 2.5km. Couple of pics attached.

If they enjoy those and want some additional challenge, White Rabbit and Wonderland are just across the highway, also fairly flat but more technical with more roots, rocks and wood bridges, still blue rated, and easier to ride north to south (downhill). So you could ride the west side south to north and crosss the highway and ride White Rabbit and Wonderland north to south and be back where you started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kid worthy destination....and some cool trails for dad too-015.jpg  

kid worthy destination....and some cool trails for dad too-024.jpg  

kid worthy destination....and some cool trails for dad too-2013_1021new0001.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 10-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada