Loving Life

Kelowna or Kamloops?

Im from Southern Ontario and race elite xc in the Ontario Cups, and Im looking to move out to BC within the next 3 years or so once my undergrad is complete and I get some things sorted out. I've narrowed it down either Kamloops or Kelowna but I can't seem to be able to chose between either. I was wonering if anyone who lives near the area or has been to either area and has ridden there, could let me know what there thoughts were.

I've picked those two location because they are not too big in terms of population. They are both very close to great training mountains, and they both have a dry climate with relatively shorter winters. There are obviously other great reasons I chose thos two but those were the most cyclign related ones. Im just wondering how the cycling scene is out there for racing as well as training on the road and trails. As well as what the living is like.

Thanks

ups and downs
    What do you plan to do for a living? That might play a big part in picking a destination as the two cities have a different economic base and opportunities..
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Loving Life
    my undergrad is a BSc in kinesiology, and a diploma in fitness and health promotion. I would like to do anything in that field or anything in the environmental area although I dont really have any environmental enducation.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Also it depends on what series you'll be racing. Most of the BC Cup races, indeed most of the notable races, are on the Coast and Vancouver Island with a smattering of excellent events throughout the rest of BC. Expect to do a lot of travelling.

Loving Life
    I was looking at the locations of the BC cups the other day and yah Im not too happy with the amount of traveling, It's not a huge deal but I would want to limit that as much as possible.

Any suggestions of other cities, within a close proximity to the races? Preferably a location that is close to mountain for good training and a relatively dry summer?

ups and downs
    Squamish has a similar cost of living to Kelowna,and as we now know, it's the Mountain Bike Capital of Canada. Only 40-ish minutes to Horseshoe Bay for the ferry and not much further to Whistler.

Loving Life
    I looked over the locations of the BC cup for xc and cx and Squamish is definately in a better spot in relation to all of the race locations. My concern is about the climate there. It seems to be substantially wetter then Kelowna or Kamloops, any thoughts on this? As well its apparently pretty windy most of the time. Not a huge fan of road riding into 60km headwinds every day

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Squamish will be MUCH wetter than either Kelowna or Kamloops. MUCH.

It is on the coast, in fact it is right on the water, with mountains right behind it - guess what that means.

Also, for road riding Squamish has much less choice than either Kelowna or Kamloops. The road riding, mountain riding, CX on trails, etc in either of the K's is great.

As said before the choice comes down to where you get work.

When I drive from Kelowna to Vancouver - it takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Not bad at all. Kamloops is about the same.

Loving Life
    Yah it seems to be down to either live in Squamish where it rains more, but the location is much closer to all of the BC cups, or live in the K's where Ill be driving roughly 4 hours to each race, but it'l be drier and more of a job market. Apparently the summer's aren't too bad in Squamish, its just the fall and winter that get alot of rain?

ups and downs
    It's only water, the trails survive the wet conditions well. Squamish is generally a bit drier than North Vancouver.

You can eyeball the Squamish weather conditions here

Squamish does have a small University but there aren't going to be as any employment opportunities in your degree field as Kelowna might have, it's a smaller town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Basically ( I am jaded, I left the coast because I got tired of having moss growing on my feet ) , it is wet 3 seasons.

Summers are pretty good, generally. The rest of the year it's wet, and grey.

I got heartily tired of it.

Both of the K's have universities and growing populations - and are drier.

check with the folks at Kelowna Cycles for info on trails, MTB'ing and race series. They have a few staff that racing actively.

http://kelownacycle.ca/

Loving Life
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to look it over a bit more, but it's looking like I may have to suck it up and drive a bit to race... although this year I was driving anywhere from 2-4 hours to race and coming home had me going across the GTA which can easily add 1-2 hours on the drive, its ridiculous

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Kamloops has a desert climate, meaning it can get crazy hot during the day in the summer--count on getting your miles in early
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As does Kelowna.

It isn't THAT hot. Going out riding in the afternoon is not bad, sure there a few days a year where it gets HOT, but no-one in their right mind rides mid-day on those days.

The rest of the time, you just ride. It's hot, there's virtually no humidity and it's really pleasant.

I ride in Arizona a lot in the summer - that's hot. Kamloops and Kelowna - not so much.

Loving Life
    I prefer to ride in >30 degree weather. I just find I ride better the hotter it gets. Im not a fan of the humidity so a dry heat sounds appealing to me.

Loving Life
    anyone know the email for Kelowna Cycles? I can't find anything on there site

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Loving Life
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    JUst so you know, I live inKelowna and they are my favourite shop in town.

The owner is a good guy and the full staff are great. I do most of my business with them by email, which works great. When I want or need something I send an email, they email me when it's in and I go down to the shop to get it.

I don't know if this would work with every shop, but it works with these guys.

That's the reason I have their email handy.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I live in Kamloops.

Great place to train for XC racing. Probably the only place in Canada better then Kamloops to train is Penticton. The main challenge with Penticton is the distance to an airport.

Kamloops has quite a strong XC community with some very good riders. There is a lots of trails to train on.

Limiters:
    -dry climate means no wet rocks and roots to train on. You have to travel west to the coast or east to Revelstoke to get those conditions.
    -decent road riding but you fight with wind.
    -hot in the summer but according to physiologist training in a hot place is one of the best things you can do for your racing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Easy decision - Kelowna.

The area is beautiful for everything. If you ride road, there are 2 Gran fondos this summer, one in Penticton, other in Kelowna. Ironman is in Penticton........

So cycling is big in the area.......

mtbr member
    http://MTBco.ca for info on riding in the Kelowna area. Map at http://www.mtbco.ca/trails/online-map.

The two cities are only 2 hours apart. Close enough for day trips.

Kamloops has a good scene and a strong history, but comes up short on available riding.

Kelowna has a much lower profile, but way more riding within a one hour radius. Call it 5 to 10 times as much.

Sun Peaks is a more challenging bike park than Silver Star. They're both pretty rad, though.

The Okanagan has beach culture in the summer. Of the two cities, Kamloops is more blue collar, Kelowna is more 'urbane', but it's also a retirement community. They both have high crime rates.

Winter time, both have reasonable ski areas close by, and it's a couple of hours to real mountains.

Kamloops is about an hour and a half closer to Whistler.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There is a lot more riding in Kamloops then what most people think. Particularly in terms of XC riding (there is a reason why a couple of national team members have moved to Kamloops to train).

In the past three years there has been a ton of XC trail development. I would estimate that within riding distance of my house there is about 100kms of single track.

The problem is most of the trails are not mapped, probably only a dozen people know all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    http://MTBco.ca for info on riding in the Kelowna area. Map at http://www.mtbco.ca/trails/online-map.

The two cities are only 2 hours apart. Close enough for day trips.

Kamloops has a good scene and a strong history, but comes up short on available riding.

Kelowna has a much lower profile, but way more riding within a one hour radius. Call it 5 to 10 times as much.

Sun Peaks is a more challenging bike park than Silver Star. They're both pretty rad, though.

The Okanagan has beach culture in the summer. Of the two cities, Kamloops is more blue collar, Kelowna is more 'urbane', but it's also a retirement community. They both have high crime rates.

Winter time, both have reasonable ski areas close by, and it's a couple of hours to real mountains.

Kamloops is about an hour and a half closer to Whistler.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine