mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kaslo Sufferfest 100km race, Oct 1st

OK, when's the last time you got to use a hand-bomber cable car, ride at 2200m elevation, and worry about the ghost of some bad-azz gold miner buzzing your rear tire during a race? Hell, there's even a turn of the century brothel near the half-way point!

If the weather co-operates this is going to be killer, especially with the majority of techy singletrack holding off until the last 20kms when the mind and legs are thoroughly worked over from the big climb. Good times, Kootenay style.

Kaslo Suffer Fest | EVENT

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Holy S-?&!

I am almost glad I'll be riding in Scottsdale that weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'm signing up for the 40km, sounds really tech. if i sack up i'll do the monster dh too but i doubt it

@adelorenzo
    This looks so awesome. Would love to do it, will be down in Alberta at that time too. Hmmmm....

You should have a challenge to ride the full 100K race and the DH race on the same bike. That would be cool.

mtbr member
    I read "Kelso" and got all excited...
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Were ya lookin' at this? Kelso Ocup 3 course Video - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this could be a gooder. defiantly something to work up to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    this could be a gooder. defiantly something to work up to.
    P'shawwwww, training schmaining. Just dust off the non-shuttle bike a few days before then give'r on race day!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bumpity-bump....

If for no other reason than it's gorgeous fall weather now and well into the forecast, my weekend snow-shocked ride of the 7S trail a distant memory.

Pony up you pansies, it won't hurt. Much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydave View Post
    bumpity-bump....

If for no other reason than it's gorgeous fall weather now and well into the forecast, my weekend snow-shocked ride of the 7S trail a distant memory.

Pony up you pansies, it won't hurt. Much.
    Snow up on the summits already?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanybikes View Post
    Snow up on the summits already?
    No cause for alarm yet but there were a few minor blasts of graupel (dry snow pellets), single digit temps with wind chill, up there on Saturday. Sunday morning was gloomy, the cloud level hanging 300m above town, and I would bet there was some snow on the ground. If so it's long gone, sunny, warm, and windy now. Assuming the forecast holds true the next few weeks will be some of the best riding of the season here, as usual.

@adelorenzo
    My wife rode it Sunday and reported no snow. Lots of cloud cover though. Pics and write-up here:

You had me at Epic | Mrs. North of 60

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    It's gonna be a great 100k. Been prepping the course in anticipation of the 50 riders who will be flying down the singletrack. Snow on the higher peaks earlier this week but the course looks good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i tried the buchanan access trail yesterday and pretty sure i got the route right, and yeah, they aren't kidding about it having tight spots with roots, exposure, steepness (up mainly), etc...i'm not looking forward to riding it 25km into a race, let alone 85km in...have a safe race folks...stay alert and ride safe!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin View Post
    i tried the buchanan access trail yesterday and pretty sure i got the route right, and yeah, they aren't kidding about it having tight spots with roots, exposure, steepness (up mainly), etc...i'm not looking forward to riding it 25km into a race, let alone 85km in...have a safe race folks...stay alert and ride safe!
    Yee-haw! I mean, ummmm, oh shizt. Now I'm having flashbacks to Test of Metal's gone by and the pain dished out by Crumpit Woods near the end of that race. Hmmmm, ToM is 67km with a lot of pavement while Sufferfest is 100km with 99% of that being pure Kootenay dirt. Finally, it's about time someone put on a real mountain bike race in this province.

The only time I've ridden Buchanan was a decade ago and two things that stand out to me are that a few of the up's were super steep (hike-a-bike's at that point in the race?) and that I came damn close to a bear that would likely have decapitated me. It was a mom whose cubs I had spooked just as the trail went from open doubletrack to almost cathedral-like dark forest canopy. She was perched on a thick tree branch 8' directly above the trail, out of my line of sight. My riding partner at the time saw the bear as I was 5m away from passing under it and screamed for me to stop. I did. The bear left. The day continued for all involved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Paging xcolin to the white courtesy phone. What trails in Rossland would you compare the Buchanan trails to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    (sorry for the late reply)

compared to rossland? well none, really...rossland is too buffed and the corridors are way wider haha. i found myself getting off the bike too much as the stuff through the clearcut (after crossing the monster) was soft and tight and too steep up in parts for me, then you get into the steeper tighter stuff, then a couple monster roots i wasn't sure i could clear, then there were a few downed trees, etc. then there were the way too-tight-for-a-bike switchbacks on the way down with exposure, so i walked down that part. so it was more just getting on my nerves actually, but nothing hard. in a race situation, i hope everyone takes it easy, and i hope most of the 100k riders are already through by the time i roll through that section as passing will be tough. but it's probably only 5 km of it before you hit no brakes, which is a wide open fun smooth section

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    The 100km riders will have had their fill of hike a bike by the time they get to Buchanan. Over 200 meter of steep climbing up the switchbacks on the K&S followed by almost 1000 meters of switchbacks up the Sandon side of Reco. Not all of it rideable.

mtbr member
    I was there for the events on Saturday, and that may have been one of the BEST RUN EVENTS (bike, run, ski, mx, auto) that I have ever been to.

We will be registering early in 2012.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yeah agreed...was a fun time. the singletrack in the blue rec area was incredible...reminded me of a slightly more technical h-road

my ride through buchanan during the race really wasn't as bad as i was expecting from my first ride, although i definitely was walking a lot. a guy in front of me tried to ride the first of the steep switchbacks down and went tumbling down the mountain and after i pulled him up and warned about the next few of them, tried to ride another one and biffed again. then another dude wipes out a switchback above me and dislodges a huge boulder which tumbles down and clocks me in the hand then leg and almost knocks me off the mountain..good fun!

next year goal is 100k bike and 10k trail run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    The 100km riders will have had their fill of hike a bike by the time they get to Buchanan. Over 200 meter of steep climbing up the switchbacks on the K&S followed by almost 1000 meters of switchbacks up the Sandon side of Reco. Not all of it rideable.
    I nominate the above statement as "MTBR Understatement of the Year". My hike-a-bike suffering was only relieved slightly by seeing a few other fresh Sidi hoofprints in the dirt, evidence that I wasn't the only one taking opportunities to stretch out the achilles tendons.
    Last edited by calgarydave; 10-08-2011 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike the primer View Post
    I was there for the events on Saturday, and that may have been one of the BEST RUN EVENTS (bike, run, ski, mx, auto) that I have ever been to.

We will be registering early in 2012.
    I agree. Sure, there were a few minor glitch's resulting in some extra suffering for a few but overall it seemed seamless relative to other races I've done, keeping in mind it's still in its infancy. I was lucky enough to get in on some of the post-weekend Festing with the organizers, after my Suffering, and the conversations were all about making the 2012 Sufferfest even better for the competitors.

It was interesting to hear that out of a town of ~1000 people, and not one that (to most yet) comes to mind as an outdoor athletics hub, there was a 50% volunteerism rate for the weekend in one form or another. Smalltown BC rocks!

re: registering early for 2012
    I think that would be wise especially for the 100km bike. Once word gets out it wouldn't surprise me to see entries jump next year from 30 to 100.
    Last edited by calgarydave; 10-08-2011 at 06:04 PM.