mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kananaskis Country riding?

Hey there,

My son's and I are going to be camping in K Country for a few days in August (after dropping Mom off in Calgary for a conference) and wondering what the local riding is like?

They are itching to hit some trails, but they're relative noobs and I'm recovering from knee surgery, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction for some moderate XC sort of stuff?

Thanks,

Mike

ups and downs
    There's usually a fair bit of elevation change involved in most K-Country trails. 300-600m of elevation gain isn't unusual. What sort of ride duration are you thinking of? How old are your boys?

If you can drop by the Mountain Equipment Coop and pickup the book Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies, that has everything you could want to know about the trails in K-Country and vicinity.

There's a bunch of singletrack trails at the Canmore Nordic Centre that range in technical from blue to black diamond but you could easily spend most of a day checking out the trail loops there and never be more than 30 minutes from the Day Lodge, which give you bail out options if you knee cries uncle, or you could do the Goat Creek loop from Canmore to Banff and back on Rundle Riveside. http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ2/a.aspx
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Heard yesterday that Goat Creek is closed because the dam is having to use its spillway due to some mechanical whatzit or other.

ups and downs
    http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...ailreport.aspx

July 25th, 2011:

Goat Creek Trail and vicinity: Effective immediately, the Goat Creek Trail is closed from the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Road (Highway 742) to its junction with the Spray River Trail in Banff National Park. The closure is due to structural damage to the Spray River bridge which has resulted from abnormally high flows due to water diversion by TransAlta Utilities. For further information regarding water flows, please contact TransAlta at 1-877-547-3365.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

@adelorenzo
    Little Elbow campground is close to Calgary. When I was down last year at TransRockies we camped there (nice campground) and I did the little elbow / big elbow loop. It is long for younger guys but pretty mellow. Nice scenery.

Big Elbow by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

There are a bunch of other trails in the area too, although haven't ridden anything else out that way. I really wanted to ride powderface ridge and jumping pound ridge but I think that those are more technical. This site seems fairly useful.

http://www.powderface.ca/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...ailreport.aspx

July 25th, 2011:

Goat Creek Trail and vicinity: Effective immediately, the Goat Creek Trail is closed from the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Road (Highway 742) to its junction with the Spray River Trail in Banff National Park. The closure is due to structural damage to the Spray River bridge which has resulted from abnormally high flows due to water diversion by TransAlta Utilities. For further information regarding water flows, please contact TransAlta at 1-877-547-3365.
    Thanks for the extra details!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    www.bikepirate.com has LOTS of info..
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the info.
    We're camping at Mt. Kidd campground, so once I piece together a map we should be good to go.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I used to go camping at Mt Kidd all the time when I was a wee lad, had some of the best summers of my life there, hiking, riding bikes and enjoying the natural beauty of the area.

I cannot really comment of specific trails though, since it has been a decade or more since I have been there. However, I know there are a wide variety of trails so I am sure you will find some that will suit your needs.

Now Iím all nostalgic for the summers of my youth

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Little Elbow campground is close to Calgary. When I was down last year at TransRockies we camped there (nice campground) and I did the little elbow / big elbow loop. It is long for younger guys but pretty mellow. Nice scenery.

Big Elbow by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

There are a bunch of other trails in the area too, although haven't ridden anything else out that way. I really wanted to ride powderface ridge and jumping pound ridge but I think that those are more technical. This site seems fairly useful.

Powderface - The Lakes and Trails of Kananaskis
    I love the Elbow Loop. It's got a bit of everything and is a great ride for building fitness. I rode it today as a matter of fact, in 2 1/2 hours including stops and a delay after crashing in a steep boulder field that I hit at mach schell. It was a perfect riding day out there. Doing it three times in succession is great training for the Trans Rockies.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!