mtbr member
    May 2009

Kananaskis Conditions

Anybody know how things are looking out in K-Country. In particular the Bragg Creek Area.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dycker
    Anybody know how things are looking out in K-Country. In particular the Bragg Creek Area.

Thanks

MUD.. SNOW and Rain..
    Don't even bother.

Live shot.

ups and downs
    Doesn't it always snow in Kanaskis on the May long weekend? It always did when I lived in Calgary.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Guaranteed...but now the snow from November doesn't even melt until it starts raining in Monsoon June.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What a crappy start this year. I just did a complete rebuild on my frame. I'm not quite ready to grind the Moose Mountain mud into the pivots quite yet.

Is there any good XC riding in Drumheller? Its probably dry there. I was in Kamloops a few weeks ago, conditions were good there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was going to build a new frame two years ago..Why bother we haven't had a decent season in 7 years.

lol somebody was complaining about Phoenix weather. lol

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I did everthing on my bike this winter. Pivots, wheels, drivetrain and even had my frame powder coated. If this year is anything like the past few years, I'm sure 7 days of transrockies will put me back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    I was going to build a new frame two years ago..Why bother we haven't had a decent season in 7 years.

lol somebody was complaining about Phoenix weather. lol

mtbr member
    I've ridden Ridgeback and Jumping Pound loop over the last week and conditions have been almost perfect on both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak
    I've ridden Ridgeback and Jumping Pound loop over the last week and conditions have been almost perfect on both.
    Your idea of perfect must be far from the norm.

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananask...orts/Elbow.pdf

ups and downs
    How can the entire province of Alberta have a fire ban because of dry conditions, but the areas with trails be so wet? That's like the way tools always drop and land so they are the hardest to reach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    How can the entire province of Alberta have a fire ban because of dry conditions, but the areas with trails be so wet? That's like the way tools always drop and land so they are the hardest to reach.
    Special Ed and his Knee jerk reactions last week.

People were bringing shovels to clear places for the tents this weekend. It's still winter in some places.

mtbr member
    Stokes,

have you ridden either of JP loop or Ridgeback this year?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Stokes,

I noticed people on Pinkbike have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stokes,

This is all I need to know

mtbr member
    Rode Canmore Benchlands today. Conditions were perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rain in the forecast for the next 7 days...looks like Monsoon June is coming early .

Maybe in July we'll get some decent conditions...lol doubt it.

mtbr member
    Glad that I got out there to take advantage of the good, lower conditions while they lasted.

As long as it's raining at the higher elevations, we couldn't ask for a better snow removal service!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the snow will come down.....hopefully not like it did in 2005.
    Last edited by stokes; 09-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Walked up the Prairie View track yesterday. Very muddy up high and can still see bits of snow in the trees down towards Jewell Pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kiss it all good bye for another month,

Warnings
    Kananaskis - Canmore
    3:47 PM MDT Wednesday 25 May 2011
    Rainfall warning for
    Kananaskis - Canmore issued

Rainfall amounts in excess of 50 millimeters expected.

A Pacific disturbance will generate heavy rainfall amounts over the above regions beginning overnight tonight. Total rainfall amounts of 50 to 75 millimeters are expected to fall in these regions by Friday morning. The rain will begin to mix with or change into snow on Thursday night over higher elevations in the Crowsnest Pass and Kananaskis regions with snowfall accumulations of 2 to 4 centimetres by Friday morning. General improvement is expected by Friday evening.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details.

Just think May is normally drier than June..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow that really sucks... Hopefully this season wont be as bad as last years, the only decent month was October.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    it's going off the chart!

Kiss it all goodbye.

ups and downs
    Everywhere I plan on traveling to this summer is forecast to have higher than normal precip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kananaskis Conditions-precip-s234fe1p_s.gif  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Winter never ends summer never starts.

ups and downs
    I just hope the Nordic Centre doesn't look like that mid-July for the Nationals.

It was enough of a shock last year with 5C temps at 6AM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kananaskis Conditions-canmore-5c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    World Cup July 1998 Canmore it was 4 degrees raining and snowing, some of the women suffered with hypothermia.

It can happen..

probably will.

Since cycling is out of the question come on down to High River and help with the sandbaging.

It's good exercise.
    Last edited by stokes; 05-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey stokes maybe you should change your name to "WHINER" your worse than my two year old!
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Grab the skis!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    if you go a but more west, banff/tunnel mountain is all dry, marked, signed, etc. Both the 30km of singletrack, and starwars.
    lower stoney is NOT dry, but lake minniwanka should be (just not sure about downed trees)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Sunday we did 2 runs at Moose Mountain.

First one was Pneuma to Sulphur Springs to Station Flats (fun).

Second one was Moosepackers to Ridgeback to Station Flats (more fun).

Both routes were in great condition. Patchy snow at the top of Moosepackers but not much where you have to get off your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Benchlands is dry.

mtbr member
    Like mentioned above, lake Minni is Good To Go.
    There's a few muddy sections (as of Sunday afternoon) along the only major climb about 2km in after you leave the parking lot. After that though,
    the trail is in great shape.

I took a saw with me on my ride (I swear CMBA, I'll get it back to you one of these days) as I had read about a bunch of
    deadfall along the trail, but it seems that someone else beat me out to it. There was only 1 waist-high one to take out,
    and two locations where I didn't bother as you could still ride over them.

If you are planning on riding Lake Minniwanka, please respect the new seasonal closure to bikes between July 10 to Sept 15. Deets here.

Canmore bench, and everything else on that side looked like it was in good shape and should be fine to ride as JS mentiones.
    I've also read a few reports that highline and the other trails in that area are GTG as well.

Friends were out at Prairie View on Sunday morning and there was still snow at the junction with jewell pass.
    Unsure about the rest of the trail, but I would imagine that it should be close to being ready and that baldy should also be GTG shortly thereafter.

I've read on PB that the loops at moose are starting to dry out (pneuma, packers, etc.), but have no firsthand knowledge.
    General consensus seems to be OK to ride, a touch wet in places, quite wet along the flatter sections, and you may have to dismount to cross the odd snowbank.

Without even seeing it or reading anything about it, I'd imagine that powderface will still need a bit more time to dry out
    as it usually takes a bit longer than most due to its location since not much sun or wind hits it. Also, unlike most of our
    other trails that go straight up and then straight down, PF has quite a few flatter sections along it that tend to pool water and
    hold onto it longer than other trails.

The jumpingpound short loop should be in fine condition, although I'd guess that the actual jumpingpound ridge ride / Cox hill are still snowy at the peaks.

No use b!tching about the weather anymore, nothing left to do but get out on your bike and start riding. I'm certainly stoked for the season to be here!

*edited to be easier to read with the huge pics above stretching my paragraphs. Pictures which did absolutely nothing to stoke me up for this season*
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Tried to ride up Skogan from Canmore on Saturday but was stymied by a little too much snow ~2km from the summit, I have a suspicion its probably clearer on the Nakiska side. (towing a chariot so was sticking to fire trails)

next door to sideshowbob
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post

Both routes were in great condition. Patchy snow at the top of Moosepackers but not much where you have to get off your bike.
    Any downed trees across Packers?
    I've been clearing them from Packers each spring for the last 5 years, haven't made it there yet because of the late melt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Any downed trees across Packers?
    I've been clearing them from Packers each spring for the last 5 years, haven't made it there yet because of the late melt.
    I think there was only one downed tree on Packers, on the section after the fireroad but before the switchbacks. There was one more on the top part of Ridgeback, another on the second part of Ridgeback, and two on Tom Snow ride out I think.

I need to bring my saw next time. Thanks for clearing the last 5 years!!

But damn were there a lot of mosquitos out there Sunday...it was crazy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    x-ker: how far on lake minniwaka did you go? I'm thinking about doing from banff to hwy 940, and wondering about km 22-30 inside the park..

mtbr member
    We only made it as far as the ranger cabin over the weekend (~17km in), but I couldn't see a reason for the conditions to worsen past that point.

I've ridden that section in past years, and the character of the trail certainly changes once you get past the ranger cabin. It gets more tech the further you go, but IIRC it was a bit rockier than the usually velvet-y smooth Minni trail. Should mean that there won't be any problems with mud...

I've never actually crossed the lake and finished the ride through the devils gap towards a pickup point at blackrock, so I'm unsure what the trail is like once you get to the south side of Minni.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

next door to sideshowbob
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    I think there was only one downed tree on Packers, on the section after the fireroad but before the switchbacks. There was one more on the top part of Ridgeback, another on the second part of Ridgeback, and two on Tom Snow ride out I think.

I need to bring my saw next time. Thanks for clearing the last 5 years!!

But damn were there a lot of mosquitos out there Sunday...it was crazy.
    Rode, and cleared trees on Packers, all of Ridgeback and parts of Tom Snow on Friday afternoon.
    Great riding conditions with minor snow and meltwater up high, a few mud puddles and boggy bits here and there, except for Ridgeback section #3 which has some larger areas of wheel-sucking bog. That was likely still preferable to what the equivalent section of Tom was like.
    Pnuema is good right from the highway to ROS, I did not ride the upper section from ROS to Packers.
    Mozzies were intense at times!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've done the full ride a few times, just was concerned about downed trees from the fall wind storms and winter snow. It gets rockier and rootier as you keep going, and the creek crossing at the end can be 4" or 4ft deep, but has always been crossable. The other side is a bit horse used, but not bad. As you exit the park, follow the jeep trails, and when you get into the open plains, GO LEFT, up the hill. You can leave a truck here, or follow the gravel road for 15km to the pavement...