mtbr member
    May 2006

Jasper trail conditions thread

Update as of April 11...

Nothing is ready.Not even 2%.
    Road biking is decent 93 south past the gate being the best bet. Lots of gravel so most of us are on cross bikes or larger volume road tires.

Trails are weeks away from being ready, Please spread the word as people are showing up already with bikes in the back of their trucks. Seems like most are from Edmonton area. I feel your pain as its been a particularly long winter here as well.

A few trails have already seen eager riders who have chewed it up and are making us all look bad. Please show some restraint.

I will update this thread as things improve. We had a bunch of rain this morning and high winds which helped but I repeat we are still weeks weeks away.
    Thanks for clicking and see you on the soon to be dry trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the update. The Edmonton area is still pretty snowy so I can only imagine what Jasper trails are like. We're looking forward to our first ride of the season!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    update April 15...

Cold and snowing today. Nothing is sticking to the ground but it slows the melt down a bunch.
    Skiing is amazing... trail biking is non-existent. Still seeing bikes trickling in to town so please pass on that there is zero trail riding right now. Usually there is a tiny bit but not this year.
    I will keep updating as things change.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    update April 23...

Sigh nothing yet.Cold nights are really slowing things down. We have zero ridable trails. I can't wait to bring some good news. We need some rain and above zero overnight to change things...

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I'm following this thread closely, fingers crossed. I'm heading out to Valemount next weekend, and I'm really hoping to get some riding in. Looking like it will just be road riding though.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^^^ Got a cross bike? Thats fun riding right now cause you can piece together a few pathetic km of trail and hit some of our fun backroads around town.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I do have a cross bike (it doubles as my road bike). I might bring the off-road tires, but I'm leaning towards just doing the 120 km road ride a couple times between Valemount and Jasper.

On a side note and the off-chance you know, what is the Mount Robson trail like? It's not much of a ride, but I love the view at Kinney Lake, so I usually try to ride up to there at some point when I'm out in the area. I'm guessing it is still under a foot of snow though...
    www.bikeride.ca

mtbr member
    ^ you need to do the Robson hike all the way to the top. The Kinney Lake view is excellent, but pales to what there is to see once you hike up to the end! We did a three nighter last year and we plan on going back again this year.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I have heard many people say that exact thing, and I have started planning a backpacking trip. I have heard spring is the best time to go for views (ex icebergs in the lake?) but my race schedule is jam-packed until August, so I'm hoping to pull it off around then.
    www.bikeride.ca

mtbr member
    We did the hike in August. Weather was good, not too many people. We'll probably do the Skyline trail (Jasper) in July and Robson in August again. It's pretty cool when you get to the continental divide (and it's only 2km past the last campsite).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Early July for the Skyline might not be too dry at this rate. On low snow years there are a few drifts / cornices into August. Expect wet feet!

Still no trails to report. Maybe 2% if you know how to link it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Snowed down to town last night. Melting fast but will for sure slow things down even more...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Update May 5th...

Getting there. Lower trails are drying quite nicely. Trail 7 behind the golf course all the the way to 5th bridge is good to go with a few soft spots in the usual places. 7 beside the river is good to. Pyramid Bench network still needs more time but you can take the new Trunk trail up to Pyramid Lake turn around and decend to Trail 2a behind the Sawridge hotel.

Valley of the 5 Lakes still needs a little time as does the end of the Overlander.
    And to state the obvious... Please ride through the mud puddles and not around!. So many slackers don't want to get their fancy bikes dirty. Sissys

So I say its now worth the trip if you are from out of town. PM me and I will tell you where to get good current trail info as not all the shops know and Parks info isn't always bike related.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the updates, I'll be in Jasper from May 25 to May 29 so the trails should be in good condition by then.

Paul.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Yes, thanx for the update. Nice to hear the names of some of my old favourites. Tell us more about the Trunk trail.

mtbr member
    The trunk trail is an easier route up to Pyramid lake that sort of parallels the road. Start up Pyramid lake Rd beside the church, after the 1rst switchback look for the trail on the west side of the road, keep climbing till you get to the lake.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^^^^zip it city boy! go comute or something

Update May 9...
    Finally some good news! Still wet in certain places on the Pryamid Bench but some main routes are good to go. Valley of the 5 is good to go. Wabasso extension still needs some time as it drains a little slower.
    Trail 7 is good with a little bit of mud from 5th bridge to sixth.
    Its now worth the trip from the city. Trail season is here!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking the time to post this info up!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Update May 22...
    Valley bottom is good to go.
    Saturday night Lake Loop (20 mile loop) is ridable to Minnow Lake and rideable to Saturday Night Lake. Connecting the loop is not ready. Mucky and yucky with rotten snow up high. Gross riding conditions so stay a little lower.

Few trees down on Valley of the Five lakes but dry and good to go. Wabasso (trail 9) is wet close to the lake. Not really worth it yet.

The Bench is good to go with a few trees down throughout.

Trail 7 is closed behind the golf course due to a pissed of Grizzly.

Trail 7 river trail from Old Fort Point to Beavert is closed for Elk calfing (those hoofed ladies are mean!!!)
    Overlander good to go with some dusty parts throughout.

And one last plea to the wussbags who can't go through a little mud puddle... You sissies need to not worry about your fancy bike and go through the middle of the pooled mank. I know its not the fine people of MTBR doing this but please educate the masses about getting a little dirty.
    Hope to see you all out on our most excellent network.
    Please pm me for shop / trail info if you need a little more.

Crank monkey

Recommendation?

Yahsper, thanks for the update.

I'll be out there campiong with the family the weekend after next. What would you recommend for good riding conditions? The only place I've ridden out there is from Old Fort POint out to Valley of the Five Lakes and Wabasso.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^^^^ Overlander^^^^^

UPDATE JUNE 6

Trail crew has finished the Saturday Night Lake Loop. Awesome riding either direction with not a single tree down. Super muddy and gross at the top by high lakes. Quite a mess so most people are riding up to Minnow or Saturday Night Lake and turning around. So fun a Jasper must do...

Overlander trail is being cleared today and should be good to go. Mud by the river close to 6th bridge but dry and dusty after that.
    Bench is good.
    Trail 7 behind the golf couse and beside the river by old fort point is still closed. Watch out for the Momma elk as they are very nasty right now.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just spent 4 days camping in Jasper and managed 2 rides. Whistlers to Valley of the 5 Lakes, #9 to Wabasso Lake, back to the bridge, around the lakes and on to Old Fort Point. 2nd ride up to Minnow lake and return. Conditions were superb and the single-track was spectacular. I took my single-speed and suffered from not having many km in my legs yet. Overlander's is on tap for the next trip and maybe I'll bring the geared full suspension rig. I highly recommend making the trip.

What trails on the bench are the best?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

rides with camera
    Just curious on how things are looking out there on yet another wet year
    May be heading up soon. Hopefully...
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    +1 request for trail conditions update. Will arrive Saturday pm. Looking forward to riding my favourite trails and discovering some new ones.