mtbr member
    May 2006

Jasper trail conditions...Spring 2012

Hello all from sunny and VERY snowy Jasper...
    Skiing is rated as excellent!, mountain biking rated as poor...(boooo)

Already starting to see bikes show up in town. Please pass on to your riding friends that very little is ready to go. If you must ride and some locals are, please do it in the morning when the ground is frozen. This window will close very soon as overnight temps stay high.
    After a record snowpack this winter we will have to be a little more patient this spring to get on the Jasper trails we love so much.
    We are facing unprecedented trail closures throughout the park this season so please respect our trails by staying off of them when wet.
    Even the Overlander trail needs more time. East end is good for a few kms only.
    Only trail in "good" condition is the Teahouse section of trail 7 up by Maligne canyon. This involves a lot of biking on the road for a 3 km decent.... worth it if you are addicted!
    Road biking is good south and up to medicine and maligne if you are into that sort of thing.
    I will update as things change but we are a solid couple of weeks until its on...
    Hope to see a bunch of you through here when things improve.
    Ride-on!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow! so much rain the last few days. This will help speed things up. The wife is headed out this afternoon to do a little recon. Will update tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    165 Views...
    No wonder I never see anyone on our trails.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    165 Views...
    No wonder I never see anyone on our trails.
    Not this time of the year you won't! Too busy riding at lower altitudes, our trails are in pretty good condition in the Okanagan. Maybe see you in the summer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Things are shaping up nicely now... Lower trails are in fair condition. Valley of 5 lakes is good with a few soft places in the typical zones... Wabasso extension is not ready.
    Trail 7 is good all the way except behind the golf course.
    Overlander has many many trees down still.
    All in all worth the trip from edmonton.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All of trail 7 is good to go. Wabasso is good to go with a few small soft spots.
    Saturday Night Lake Loop is NOT ready. rivers flowing where its usually trickles and more importantly a massive amount of trees down... couple weeks on this one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yahsper,

How's the trail situation looking?
    I'm coming out this weekend for my Anniversary and plan on riding for 3 days or so.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All the main trails are good to go! Had some much needed rain to beat the dust down and things are looking great. Still wet on our two main fire road climbs up mountains but hopefully you come to rip some sweet singletrack and not some grueling no view climbs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the update.
    Any crazy critters to worry about this year? I remember the Griz behind the golf course kinda ruined, I think it was #7 last year.
    Was looking at doing the ride up to Pyramid Lake and the Overlook. As well as The Overlander and Valley of the 5 Lakes.
    Did Saturday Night Lake Loop last year but we went up just 2 days after the trail clearing crew. Wife didn't find that very much fun so it's on the "not allowed" list this year.

mtbr member
    Sub'd for any pending updates to Big Dub's questions. Looking to head out in the next couple of weeks from Edmonton.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bears have been a little more prevalent this year. Trail 7 is closed behind the golf course as the Grizzlies have moved in and a pair is busy making sweet bear love...Black bears are more focused around the area this summer as well. A few bluff charges to soil the chamois a bit. I have been lucky as I rarely see the big critters. I think some people are more tuned in to the big animal frequency if that makes any sense. I guess I'm too spaced out to notice or something. Or maybe they know better than to mess with me!
    Wolves are still very close to town. Earlier in the spring they took down an off leash dog close to its horrified owner. This same scenario almost repeated itself this morning with another free dog. If you plan on riding the Pyramid bench anytime soon leave your pooch behind or have it beside you at all times. (Leashed dogs are the law in the park...)
    I ride 3-5 times a week and have had very few encounters with any large animals so don't let me scare you off from an amazing singletrack trip. The trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Yahsper, thanks for the update (I think) ! .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well, the weekend trip was great.
    We did the Overlander South to North on Sunday starting from Alpine Village. Great trail. There were a few spots where the trail was a little hard to find because of the washes. Only saw 4 other people out until we hit the North end. Lots of scat the last 1/3 of the trail or so. It was getting late so we opted to just ride the highway back to town.
    Monday was a nicer day. We tried to ride an out and back to Saturday Night Lake. However a blackie had other plans. We were on Cabin lake fire road coming up to the T where you head off to Sat. night lake. Saw a bear at about 150 yards. We were upwind making enough noise to wake the dead and it barely looked around. We decided to head over to Pyramid lake and up to the Overlook instead. Great ride.
    76km in 2 days = a great weekend.
    Next on the list for the next trip is the Wabasso ext.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Holy sheets of rain!
    Rode today and things are soaked. Up past the hubs in a few places. Never seen so much water on the trails before. We need a few days to dry up. You can still ride and people are. Can't believe the amount of people that are too scared to get wet or muddy. Stop widening the trails you sissies! Go straight through it!

mtbr member
    ^ Same thing happened in Edmonton last year. Lots and lots of rain = lots of widening of the paths due to riders not wanting to get wet or muddy. Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sunny day!!! It just won't stop pouring. So much standing water right now and mosquitoes everywhere!
    Drying out fast and things are greening up just as quick... Still need to know where to go as some areas are worse than others. Post up if anyone is headed here in the next few days and I can give some recommendations...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Howdy y'all! Spent a few days in Jasper last week, and checked in on the trail conditions with some locals when we arrived. Heard a couple of campsites were closed due to high water, and that the Overlander was flooding. Was told Valley of the Five Lakes was in pretty wet conditions in spots too. Those are the two trails we have ridden on a previous trip.

Not being too familiar with other trails, and thinking it best to stay off the wet ones, we didn't do any huge ride on the trails we know. We had some fun riding some shorter trails around our campsite at Whistlers, and they were surprisingly fun. We were in the mood to rest and relax, so it was OK not riding, but I thought I'd check with the local experts on here and try to learn more about Jasper trails in case we end up in that situation again.

Here's my 3 questions of the day, and if you get a chance to reply and help improve our knowledge of riding in Jasper, I'd appreciate it.

ONE - in wet conditions, what is your 'go-to' ride? What intermediate trails, if any, handle wet weather the best and would be OK to try if the weather has been wet. are there any good ones you'd recommend around town?

TWO - if you were taking a friend to Jasper and wanted to show them a ripping, flowy, full of fun trail they could spend an afternoon whooping it up on, what would it be? I'd like to try something new next time, and would appreciate hearing what others have as favorites.

THREE - I've never ridden the Overlander from the trailhead that starts on the highway. I've only ever started at 6th bridge. Is the trailhead the one at the stop just past the bridge that has the steep slope you need to wrestle your bike up? It is marked trail 10b at the top, but I've only ever seen the Overlander referred to as trail 10. I assume 10b connects to 10, but thought I'd check before starting at that end next time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you're able to share. Appreciate the help, I've got another trip planned later in the month and would love to try something new.

Cheers

eman

Jasper trail conditions...Spring 2012-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341375642.824495.jpg

Jasper trail conditions...Spring 2012-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341375657.751853.jpg

Love the views you find when riding in Jasper!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jasper trail conditions...Spring 2012-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341375615.093123.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just a quick post - Valley of the Five Lakes only had a few mud spots from the trailhead at Old Fort Pointe and Wabasso trail was mud-free. Mind you, this was on Saturday and given the rain that's come down since, those trails might not be as good.

mtbr member
    Hey all... Long time lurker, first time poster...

I live in Edmonton, and my roomate and I were planning on heading to Jasper tomorrow for a few days, camping and riding some trails. I've never been there before, so I really don't know anything about the area besides what I've read... so I was hoping to get some feedback as to what trails to try out, what the conditions are right now, as well as what the best campsites would be to stay at.

I'm an intermediate rider thats just getting back into riding after a long time away from it, and my roomie is definitely a beginner.

Any advice or recommendations you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    stop by and see the gang at freewheel in jasper. Chris, Wendy and crew can help with current trail beta
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    stop by and see the gang at freewheel in jasper. Chris, Wendy and crew can help with current trail beta
    We ended up at Vicious instead, happened to be right in front of us when we parked to get some food...