mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Jasper Riding conditions?

Just wondering if anyone has been out that way yet, only my second year owning my bike and I literally cant wait to get out there and enjoy the wicked trails of the rockies. Just curious as to when can one expect the trails to be rideable in and around the Japser areas for starters and anywhere in the rockies in general. These trails in Edmonton are fun but not quite givin me my mountain fix. Thanks for any input you guys may have

rides with camera
    Not looking good , still too early
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp?oPark=100244
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPelch
    Just wondering if anyone has been out that way yet, only my second year owning my bike and I literally cant wait to get out there and enjoy the wicked trails of the rockies. Just curious as to when can one expect the trails to be rideable in and around the Japser areas for starters and anywhere in the rockies in general. These trails in Edmonton are fun but not quite givin me my mountain fix. Thanks for any input you guys may have
    Matt, you've got to meet up with a group of us that started to regularly ride together on the weekends late last summer and all throughout the fall. Good times and there is some challenging terain to be had.

Keep an eye out for the riding in Edmonton summer thread (I know I am) and see if you can hookup for a ride or two. Last year, Saturdays was in Terwilliger and Sundays started in the Kinsmen, with an occassional Strathcona Science Park ride thrown in for good measure.

Ken, hope to see you on this summer too. I'll keep an eye out for the blinged titanium ride. Was it Moots? I think it was. Is the Ibis your new ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the quick response! So around what time of year do these trails become rideable another month or so?

I'm definitely gonna have to hook up with these group rides this year, Ive kinda self explored most of the trails from say Strathcona Science park west to about fox drive but I'm sure theres some hidden gems out there. I lie over in the Capilano are so rides starting in Kinsmen and Stratcona would be ideal thing is I work shift work so I do end up doing alot of my rides on random weekdays ect. That being said I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for the summer thread upcoming and absolutely join up with your group when I can! I actually did a very nice ride from my place to Kinsmen....little snowy west of there still the other day then back following the valley to capilano bridge it was alot muddy but one of the best Edmonton rides I had been on. Look forward to seeing ya all out there I'll be the muddy guy on the '08 Coilair sucking wind

mtbr member
    If the weather keeps up (which it won't as it's supposed to snow tomorrow), all the trails should be dry on both the north and south side of the river by the end of April. The dirt path that takes you from Kinsemen to Emily Murphy Park is always the last hold out for the snow to melt, and that snow will probably be there until mid May.

See you around!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kinsmen to Emily Murphy path is snowy how about past that clear sailing again?

mtbr member
    Muddy spots still. I'd give it about ten days to really dry up.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Front ranges near Nordegg are pretty dry in the valley. Kootenay Plains might be rideable soon. Haven't been out to Hinton for awhile, but the trails might dry up faster than in Jasper.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hmmm Nordegg eh I did a pretty stellar ride there last year, Black Canyon Creek I think. Hopefully by the end of the month there will be some dry enough to ride Ive been going as hard as I can in town here to prpe the legs for whatever the mountains can throw at me this year!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very limited riding in Jasper at the moment. I'm guessing 10 percent ready. You can link a few trails together but you need to know where you are going in order to stay dry and not destroy the trails.Overlander from the highway to the cabins and back has been reported as fair. Muddy past the cabins towards town. Snowed yesterday. Its worth the trip if you bring some ski/snowboard gear and a bike. Low lieing sunny trails are good to go but most people are cross or road riding. I will post when its worth the drive or give Freewheel a call and they will be more than willing to share some info. I'm guesing two weeks or so. See you soon.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Ken, hope to see you on this summer too. I'll keep an eye out for the blinged titanium ride. Was it Moots? I think it was. Is the Ibis your new ride?
    Sounds good , I`ll definitely be out lot`s on the trails alot again this year . Someone needs to start a new Edmonton thread , winter`s over (well more less)
    I got the Ibis the year before the Moots . I just did some serious upgrades on the Mojo with new wheels and brakes , I posted it on my blog here
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

All low trails are good to go...

Trail Crew has cleared all of Overlander, Valley of the Five Lakes, Trail 7 and some bench trails including the trail to Saturday Night Lake. (not the loop)
    Everything is in amazing shape for this time of the year and worth the trip. Super tacky dream dirt all over the park.
    Some new trails were added to the map and are awesome for beginners and families. Check with the local shops for free trail maps and current trail conditions.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Super Awesome! My wife and I are going this weekend and we are looking foreward to some singletrack goodness.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Trails are in great shape! We did Valley of the 5 Lakes and of course Overlander. I really need to get out to Jasper more often this year.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2006

update...bears are out.

Trails are amazing! Quit work dump your boy/girlfriend and get out here.

Agressive mama bear with cubs on upper trail 7 and poop all over. No other reports of bears not minding their own buisiness. Saturday Night Loop is NOT ready but you can ride up to Sat Lake and back and up to Minnow Lake and back. There are about 6 big trees down up to Minnow that can be easily walked over.

Roads are good too if you are into that sort of thing.

what's that rattle?
    Yep, the bears are looking pretty well fed. I almost ran into one on the Valley of the Five Lakes on Saturday; he didn't seem to mind much.

Picture is of a bear of equal or lesser value spotted at Old Fort Point this time last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jasper Riding conditions?-bear.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006

Jasper update...

Things are great and maybe even a little dry for this time of year. 2 days of rain and other than things being a little greener you can hardly tell.

Saturday night lake loop is cleared and ready to go. Some damaged bridging up near the top but easy to get around. The loop is schedualed for major improvements this summer which are long over due.
    Don't be fooled by the length of this trail it can be a hard one.
    Seasonal Elk calfing closures in effect including some river trails which are parts of Trail 7. Check with parks or local bike shops for current closures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper
    Things are great and maybe even a little dry for this time of year. 2 days of rain and other than things being a little greener you can hardly tell.

Saturday night lake loop is cleared and ready to go. Some damaged bridging up near the top but easy to get around. The loop is schedualed for major improvements this summer which are long over due.
    Don't be fooled by the length of this trail it can be a hard one.
    Seasonal Elk calfing closures in effect including some river trails which are parts of Trail 7. Check with parks or local bike shops for current closures.
    I did the Saturday night loop last week. Conditions were not too bad, but a few muddy and wet areas near the one end that slows you down a bit. But overall good.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    We're heading off a week Monday for 10 days of riding in Jasper and can hardly wait. We head out that way most years and I was pleased to read that there are some improvements and new trails.

Anyone know anything about the Fortress Lake trail? Any other recommendations or suggestions would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lots of options if you are here for 10 days. Fortress Lake is o.k. but we have much better right out of the town site.
    Free maps at the local shops. Trails are very very dusty now but it has been raining. Our trails can handle the wet though so ride on rain or shine.
    I will PM you with some shop info...
    If you love epic xc riding Jasper has you covered.
    Have fun!!!

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Boy, all that snow earlier in the week must have been a shock! What's happening with the trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Boy, all that snow earlier in the week must have been a shock! What's happening with the trails?

Nothing, they saw you pulling up in that ugly car and decided they didn't want you there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The wet helped the trails big time!
    Few down trees up high near pyryamid lake up the fire road but nothing too bad.
    Its been so dry the rain was a blessing.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    Nothing, they saw you pulling up in that ugly car and decided they didn't want you there.
    Har de har. BTW, how do you know what I drive. :P

Glad to hear about the trails yahsper, getting stoked about getting there next week.
    Last edited by PVR; 07-16-2010 at 07:23 PM.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Had a great time in Jasper. Thanks to the folks at Freewheel for the help in bailing me and my buddy Terry out of a few mechanicals. Only one day of rain in the 10 days and the trails were in great shape. Especially enjoyed Trail 9 to Wabasso Lake and back and the great Tuesday evening shop ride on some of the areas "unofficial" trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jasper Riding conditions?-img_1127q.jpg  

Jasper Riding conditions?-img_1111a.jpg  

Jasper Riding conditions?-img_1107a.jpg  

Last edited by PVR; 07-30-2010 at 07:28 AM.