mtbr member
    Oct 2011

New question here. Jasper Mountain Biking in December?

Hi

Just a thought if anyone has been out in Jasper lately. With the warm weather we've been having and lack of snowfall i'm wondering if anyone has been on any trails in jasper in the past couple weeks?
    I'm going to be out there next weekend with some friends snowboarding and maybe some xc skiing depending on conditions. Also thinking to bring my Fat bike and see if i can ride some trails while i'm there. Maybe wabasso or pyramid lake.
    Obviously theres no park information on winter biking conditions but trail reports indicate soft snow and some icy sections for hiking conditions.
    I'll report back if i end up doing it, otherwise look forward to hear your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ask Chris at Freewheel. If anyone knows its him
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ^^ Thanks for the tip, I gave freewheel a call today and Chris answered the phone.
    First I told him i was wondering about trail conditions for mountain biking and he said its over for the season, and basically its not a good idea. He said theres a few hard core folks that do it with their regular mountain bikes and studded tires but he doesn't ride the trails in winter himself.
    Then I l told him i'll be riding my Surly Pugsley, he said oh yeah no problem I could ride pretty much anything out there right now and told me to stop by the shop so they can see the bike.
    Haha, I always feel like a celebrity wherever I go with the pugsley.

I'll report back how things are and possibly some pictures. I'm hoping to get one good day in next weekend in between the snowboarding and xc skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Went for a ride from town on saturday. Trails were ok for the most part. Did red squirrel run which was ok but some icy sections. tried trail #7 but was just all ice so i turned back as it was not rideable. Did part of valley of the five and most of it was rideable except for a few icy patches on the first steep hill. snow is nice hard packed from hikers so not really any deep snow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    still here?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bummer about the rain the day before you showed or you would have had a better time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey yahsper, no i headed home on tuesday afternoon.
    I only went biking on saturday, did some other snow sports the rest of the time, as well as just relaxing.
    Was a great trip, actually ended up getting a killer deal on a Rocky Mountain Slayer at Vicious cycle before I left. Went to Jasper with one bike, came back with 2.

Will be back again in the spring for sure to test out the new bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Picture Evidence; I really was there!

Heres a couple pics. Weather was beautiful. Was just wearing a icebreaker tshirt and hoodie and some light gloves and was sweating lots.

Valley of the five lakes by Jonny505, on Flickr

IMG_0540 by Jonny505, on Flickr