mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Intermediate Riding in Coquitlam area (BC)

I just bought myself an '05 Norco Bigfoot. I'm kind of a newb but only in the sense I've been out of mountain biking for about 5 years. I know how to ride, and I've ridden a lot, just not in a while and never with a decent bike like I finally have now.

I'm in Coquitlam, within riding distance to Burke Mountain, the Plataeu, Buntzen etc and I know about all the easy "lamer" trails and rides such as Crystal Falls. I enjoy the ride up there, but its just not that exciting.

I know theres a lot of sick trails and rides close by, I've read up on a lot of them, but I'm just not sure what would be most suited to a more intermediate style of riding. I love downhill, but I'm wary of ladders, tetter totters and all that technical jazz. I want to get into that eventually, but I'm not at that level yet.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good trail to hit for a guy just looking for a step up from lame basic city trails that would be awesome.

Also, I'm assuming most of the recommendations will be up in the mountain, probably Burke, is it an alright idea to do any of these rides solo? I've never been up as far as the gun club and I know thats where most of the trails are located. Is it a bad idea to fly solo?

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Head to MEC and pick up a book called "The other north shore...a riding resource". It has maps and descriptions of all the trails around there. Can you get out to Burnaby Mountain (SFU)? I'd start there with Dead Moped.

Also check out http://bb.nsmb.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    whats MEC?

Formerly DMR For Life
    mountian equipment co-op = MEC
    $5 lifetime membership...gets ya in
    DMR

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It's on Broadway in Vancouver, and there's one in North Van too.
    http://www.mec.ca

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...918_50crx.aspx

the academy trail in anmore might be interesting. starts at buntzen lake gate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    there is a trail parallel to noon creek that start by the school on panorama drive and goes north and a trail going south from noon creek park(on panorma drive). lots of roots and boulders to practice on . one foot dropoffs. the trails are short but give you some intermediate practice .

I bought the "the other north shore-a riding resource" for 13 bucks at mec. it is 5 yrs out-of-date. it is only a small pamphlet but it does cover what needs to be covered. I also bought mountain biking british columbia for 15 bucks at mec. it covers all of bc and only covers the major trails.it is also 5 yrs outofdate.

Members who have read this thread: 0