Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Input on a must-do list for 5 days in Whistler

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PUNKY 
#1 ·
I searched past threads and got some input on this topic but wanted to revisit it... I have about a 5 five day trip planned to visit Whistler-- all riding. I've ridden some XC up there but never ridden a DH bike... ever. Want to do mostly XC/trail riding--

I need some input or opinions on a list of really good loops-- we have pretty good fitness and are not afraid of doing a bunch of climbing.

Our list includes Kill Me Thrill Me, Comfortably Numb, some big loop up the Flank Trail and trail(s) off of that, also want to do a run through Riverside Trails -- Tunnel Vision -- Big Timber.

Thinking about doing a day up in Pemberton-- like maybe the Nimby 50 course-- are there any other big XC loops that we should hit instead of Nimby?

Thinking about a day in the park on rentals. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
Hit up the Bike Co. boys in Pemby for the goods, and Tantalus in Squamish. The XC in Whistler is alright, but the stuff in the 'burbs is a whole lot better.

Oh, and go rent the best DH bike money can get in Whistler and go see what it's all about. You're just cheating yourself by not giving it a go.

#4 ·
There's a ton of stuff in both towns. I usually drop into those shops for some info on what's in good shape. It varies through the season. Pemby in particular gets really dry and bony, so ask about some of the higher elevation riding.

In Squamish, ask about the Highlands area.

#10 ·
I've been following your posts as I'm headed up for several days in a few weeks-- might PM you for some trail beta. Particularly interested in your journey down Khyber. I have been turned back down off the access road by park staff before the park opened... I'll need to get more info on that Kadenwood access.

#11 ·
You'v listed some sweet Whistler singletrack - don't skip Kill Me, or Tunnel Vision. A couple others that are great:
- 99er & Danimal North (those should be on your flank list)
- Lower yer Seat -> Train Wreck -> Runaway Freight Train -> Sea To Sky Trail -> Trash is a great loop that's seen a lot of trail work in the last year. The Train wreck part is pretty unique too.

If you've got time to kill and want a short ride near town the Zappa trails in Lost Lake are surprisingly good. I haven't ridden them this year but I hear there's been lots of work done and a bunch of new trails added.

As others have said Squamish & Pemby are great as well. One of my favourite loops in squamish would be done like this:
Park @ Quest university and bike up Garibaldi Park Rd.
Pedal up to Half Nelson then hammer down that beauty. Pedal about 1/2 of the way back up to Half Nelson, but ride Pseudo Tsuga instead this time and take it all the way to the bottom of the Garibaldi Park Rd. Take 'Darwin's Bridge' across Ring Creek then pedal up to Powerhouse plunge. When you come to a logging rd head right and then pedal up to Hoods In The Woods (Powerhouse continues across the logging road, but Hoods is worth the diversion!). After Hoods ride "Poop Alley" out then take the bridge at the end back across Ring Creek and you're right back where you parked @ Quest. You'd want a map to sus out the details, but other than that it's pretty straightforward.

#12 ·
Thanks for that Squamish suggestion-- sounds like an interesting loop. Could that be done in a few hours? Planning on hitting Squamish for a half day on the way to Whistler. Is the parking pretty straightforward up there? I will have a car full of bags, etc. too. Car thieves are one of my concerns so want to make sure I park someplace pretty high visibility.

#13 ·
I'd say you could get that loop done in around 3 hrs or so. I normally park up at Quest where Village Dr. meets Mamquam Rd. and it's unrestricted parking. On weekends there is usually a fair bit of traffic through there (mostly bikers), not sure about weekdays though.

#15 ·
My wife and I go up there every year and have a great time on all the XC trails in both Whistler and Squamish. I have documented a few of these rides on my blog, which can be found here:

Squamish:
Garibaldi Highlands
Alice in Wonderland Trails

Whistler:
Comfortably Numb
Lost Lake, Cut Yer Bars, Emerald Forest, and A River Runs Through It
Kill Me Thrill Me, Train Wreck, Runaway Train, and Trash

We are actaully headed there again next week (from Oregon), and looking forward to checking out some new goods, including Pemberton!

Best,
Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.