rides with camera

I love Alberta but...

Why do we have to be saturated with clowns like THIS?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have no idea. I cycled from Portland to San Francisco this summer and the cycle culture was so refreshing down there. 1400km of cycling and not one person even honked the horn. Towns with a population of 200 people had bike lanes!

@adelorenzo
    I made the mistake of starting to read the comments on that article... I should know better.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The driver stuck around...the ambulance and cops came.....and yet no word of charges pending, or made....

Hmmmmm

Something else is going on here.

Sure the idiot driver is an idiot......but why no charges the RCMP and the sheriffs hand out tickets like water....

mtbr member
    Ban spandex.

conjoinicorned
    The comments were awesome. That's what makes the Internet so great! Without anonymity ignorance wouldn't stand a chance
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    The comments were awesome. That's what makes the Internet so great! Without anonymity ignorance wouldn't stand a chance
    Other than the fraction of the world that gets into bar fights by being ignorant in person too.

I think this sort of crazya$$ driver distribution is relatively uniform, and it's just a matter of how often these incidents escalate from a near miss to an injury or death so it makes the news.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    There have been more cyclist/vehicle collisions/casualties this year than I remember in the prior 3 years combined. When I ride to wrok I am on a bike path for about 98% of the 20km I travel each direction and probably once every second day I would barely avoid getting run over. Mornings were exponentially worse than evenings. Injuries forced me back behind the wheel in June and although I always tell myself that I am going to start riding again, I am hesitant to take my life in my hands on a daily basis.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Funny how the nations that bike the most have some of the best economies, healthiest people? With the exception of China which I think bikes the most.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    to bad this had to happen! Driver was probably late for a welding appointment... lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit View Post
    Funny how the nations that bike the most have some of the best economies, healthiest people? With the exception of China which I think bikes the most.
    One of my co-workers just got back from a month long trip to China visiting family and she said they have taken out most of the bike lanes on China's streets so there is more room for vehicles. Apparently the Chinese government is hell bent on promoting the auto industry and every family having two vehicles. So much so that you can only use 1 vehicle 3 times a week to drive back and forth to work.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is why I don't road ride around Calgary. There are risks inherent to biking on the trail but the price for failure in a car bike collision is way worse than casing a gap out at moose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've never had the balls to get into riding on the road to commute, even how good it would be getting the fitness from it, I don't trust drivers being aware enough. That said, i don't think its a good mix cars and bikes sharing the road, even if driving where i am (Australia) was up to a better standard of driver ability.

The other problem i've heard of here is that on the bike lanes, thugs hide out in a pair, one jumps out to scare the rider, the other steals the bike.

mtbr member
    That road is notorious for cyclist/motorist interactions. I ride it regularly and it is a straight road with no shoulder. I have had motorists drive at me, come so close I can feel the heat of the engine on my skin and had them shout and scream at me. The RCMP have over the years enforced the traffic laws on this piece of road and when you chat to them, they find that the motorists are normally at fault. The issues with cyclists normally revolve around not riding in single file.

The area is also a kind of millionaires row. Massive houses all over the place and Mercedes burning up and down the road. I ride in the North East of Calgary a lot going to work and I have had less issues there then on a rural road in an affluent neighbourhood. Only last year we followed a driver to his home who hit the brakes in front of us and scattered us all over the road. The RCMP attended and he was charged. We never went to court so maybe he just paid the ticket.

Working downtown the main issues with cyclists is the messengers. They give other cyclists a bad name by cutting in and out of traffic and flaunting the laws. The main messengers are embarrassed with the others conduct and regularly have words with them. I have a buddy who works for big firm of messengers in Bankers Hall. Messengers are regularly fired for the issues they cause the firm.

Calgary is pretty safe for cyclists. I'm from London England and have had terrible experiences there compared to here. It's just a few uneducated and impatient idiots who ruin it for the majority. I enjoy riding in Calgary and outside of the city and I hope it doesn't get a reputation for being dangerous and ignorant.

mtbr member
    May 2006

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Everywhere I've lived in recent years there's always talk about building more roads, double decked
    bridges, more lanes and yet, they talk about cutting bus routes, and argue over creating bike
    lanes.

A friend asked me a few years back when they we were talking about the need for another land
    of traffic on Kauai. He said, "ok, so what are you going to do when the population increases
    again in 20 yrs?" I said, build another road, maybe a bypass around Lihue and Kapa'a. He
    said, "and then in another 20yrs what are you going to do??.

The point he was making is that unless our population decreases in numbers drastically, at what
    point is more roads reasonable? At what point do we say you need to get out of your cars
    and ride public transport or bikes/walk?

^ The above is the reality, what is needed is more parking lots on the outskirts of towns and
    cities and the only way a non-delivery person/taxi/resident can access that city is by bus, train,
    bike, walk, or taxi.

While our roads were built and supposedly maintained by fuel tax, motor tax and such, maybe
    we need to have a paradigm shift in how we look at roads and transportation. I would not
    argue for a bike tax, if that bike tax meant we had roads...not bike lanes...that we could ride
    out bikes on without any other vehicle to deal with.

We need to build transportation that is geared towards bikes and public transport, not personal
    vehicles.