Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me plan my Whistler trip

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  YETI_Chris 
#1 ·
Yeah, it's way too early but I like to get my ducks in a row.

Me and the fellas have been doing an annual trip to Moab for the past couple of years, and we've gotten good at figuring out the traveling and such. This year I'd like to plan something with 2 days of Whistler involved in it. I'm thinking a Friday to Sunday trip flying into Seattle and RV'ing it up to Whistler and eventually making our way back to Seattle for the flight home. I'd like to get solid rides in on every non-travel day. I'm thinking mid-September should get is in there before the weather turns and the after the students leave. Ideally, we'd have campsites for each night but we're not afraid to setup our hobo camp in a Walmart (or Canadian equivalent) parking lot. How does this sound so far?

As far as the riding goes. We're all very strong technical riders from the Boston area, with 6x6 rigs that we do it all with. Some of us hit the lifts regularly and will be bringing our armor while others are more skittish on the freeride stuff. So, this is where we'll really needs some assistance. I'd love to have at least one or 2 all day back country type rides. I'd also like to see what the North Shore is all about, even if it means walking some things. Besides Whistler are there any other "can't miss" type of rides? Is there a riding loop that makes sense? So far I have Seattle>Whistler x2>?>?>?>?>Seattle.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a couple NS guys on here, but you'll get far more answers (and possibly some riding
buddies to show you the goods) by going to the forum at nsmb.com (north shore mountain bike).

That said, September is a great time to go to Whiz. I've had great luck every year during that
time, but remember the later you go the bigger chance of some real rainy days (not that it'll stop
you from riding).

Have fun!

#4 ·
No shortage of massive rides within an hour of Whistler if you're only going for 2 days. Whistler itself is much more oriented to the park. The trails in the valley are OK, but I'd suggest heading to Squamish or Pemby (35 min and 20 miin away respectively) for the bigger AM style rides.

In Whistler, you have to do River Runs Through It (it's tradition, eh?), and while lots of folks would tell you to do Comfortably Numb, I'll recommend that you ride Kill Me, Thrill Me out, and come back on the Numb as far as Young Lust. That's a cool ride without the "Uncomfortable Bum" of riding CN the whole way.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. Exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like we might have a big crowd so we'd be going with 2 RV's. That means less mobility so we might just stay in Whistler the whole time and do day trips. The key is figuring out the trips and making sure we get enough riding in. I'm thinking about 3 to 5 hour rides most days with places to stop and session and take pics and stuff.

That seaplane ride looks interesting but the buds are balking at the price. Are there any self-shuttleable backcountry rides that we could figure out on our own and not have to drive to far from Whistler?

Is there a place out there that sells maps to these trails?

#6 ·
#8 ·
If you have small RV's and don't mind no services (electricity/water), there's a good forest service site (think Sandflats Moab with trees) just before Whistler. It's way cheaper than the conventional RV parks.

+ 1 for Pemby and Squamish. The village trails are fun, but the park is the highlight for Whistler. Try and do the Chesire cat - to Wonderland ride in Squamish. It's great!

Mt Fromme is my favourite on the Shore (but I'm partial to my backyard).

Most of the bikes shops sells maps to the trails - I'd suggest buying them.

#9 ·
Sorry to Highjack This Post but How far is the drive (HRs) from the cruise Ship Terminal to Whistler I was thinking of going on a cruise but would love to get some sweet riding at the resort as well Since I ride the Sister MTN here in Colorado ( WP ) and love it, I love Watching all the videos on youtube so want to ride up there !! Also What Bikes can i rent at the base?

#11 ·
It's likely just over 2 hours from the Cruise ship terminal to Whistler, plus the time it takes to organize your rental car. [/url]
Thanks :thumbsup: That is alot of help I so need a cruise But If i had my way i so would stay At Whistler Vs going to AK !! But This is in the planning stage and time will tell if we even go if the funds are there!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.