Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Off the back...

Grant proposal for trail building/maintenance in the Moose Mountain area

Howdy folks! The Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance is submitting a grant application for the MMEE, and is looking for ideas and volunteers. To support the proposal, we need to have "evidence" that a trail needs work. Photos, GPS/map coordinates, detailed descriptions of problem areas - anything you have that could be used to support the argument that some work needs to be done in a specific area. I don't think the CMBA website has been updated with this info yet. If you do go to the site, please create an account - it will make you a member of the CMBA. It's free! And now a word from CMBA prez Rob Irwin:

CMBA is preparing to submit an application for funding from the Moose Mountain Environmental Enhancement fund (MMEE) to address some problem trail sections and make moose mountain a better destination with more sustainable trails meeting IMBA standards. We are looking for firm commitments from our supporters. If you are interested in: 1) providing input into the design plan or 2) Know of a specific trail issue that needs to be addressed or 3) committing some volunteer labour to the execution of the final plan please contact Robert Irwin at president@cmbalink.com before March 1st, 2009. In an attempt to maximize CMBA's chances of receiving grant money from the MMEE we need to show that there is a large mountain bike population interested in bettering local trail systems. Go to 'Friends of CMBA' on Facebook or visit www.cmbalink.com to show your support.
    Please feel free to discuss potential projects here as well - if we put our heads together, I'm sure we can produce some quality ideas. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sent my e-mail of to the pres, looking forward to helping out!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck
    Sent my e-mail of to the pres, looking forward to helping out!
    Thanks! If you know of anyone else who would be interested, please pass the word along.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about involving some of the international riders on this board, people from all over the world rave about Cox Hill/Jumpingpound, their input would show that trail development is a viable form of tourism.

Maybe some of the guiding companies that take groups on trails in K-country could chime in about how much people enjoy the experience, I believe Fernie fat tire adventures, or whatever they are called now, include Cox/JPR on their epic singletrack itinerary.

I

Off the back...
    ^^^^ Good point - I hadn't thought of that... I'll try some cross-posting...

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I'm down with helping out. I don't have any photos documenting the need for maintenance but I can work a shovel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How specidfic to Moose are you talking? Tom Snow needs some major work around the junction with the gravel road as everyone knows. Not on Moose exactly but it is the runout for one of the best trails imo on moose (Packers of course).

It would also be nice to see Pneuma turned legit since it is such a fantastic trail that has been needed for a long time to avoid potential high consequence accidents between bikes and vehicles on the road.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I'm pretty sure Tom Snow could be in play.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM
    How specidfic to Moose are you talking? Tom Snow needs some major work around the junction with the gravel road as everyone knows. Not on Moose exactly but it is the runout for one of the best trails imo on moose (Packers of course).

It would also be nice to see Pneuma turned legit since it is such a fantastic trail that has been needed for a long time to avoid potential high consequence accidents between bikes and vehicles on the road.
    Tom Snow definitely has it coming. The area in question is from [I think] Station Flats to Dawson trailhead to Sibbald Flats to West Bragg.

As for Pneuma, it's just as legit as the freeride trails [Race of Spades et al.]. The only problem I see is that it will be almost impossible to do the Moosepackers loop in ~2 hours if you include Pneuma. The road is just plain faster. Personally, I would like to see some stacked singletrack loops that parallel Sulphur Springs. That way, 'Packers wouldn't be the only game in town...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another alpine epic/connector/loop with cox would be nice, maybe an "all mountain" trail with big climbs and a few mild stunts/booters/berms built on it

Off the back...
    Another alpine epic/connector/loop with cox would be nice, maybe an "all mountain" trail with big climbs and a few mild stunts/booters/berms built on it
    Sounds cool! Are you thinking of having it start more at the Dawson or Sibbald end, and work its way back to West Bragg or something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Sounds cool! Are you thinking of having it start more at the Dawson or Sibbald end, and work its way back to West Bragg or something?
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, combine an alpine ride with a twisty/flowy lower angle single track back toward West Bragg, I need to check out some maps

Off the back...
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, combine an alpine ride with a twisty/flowy lower angle single track back toward West Bragg, I need to check out some maps
    Great idea! I'll bust out Google Earth and see what's what.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I'd be down with snow shoeing into the trails to have a look. While there I'd like to spec out drop off jump potential...

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by jitenshakun
    I'd be down with snow shoeing into the trails to have a look. While there I'd like to spec out drop off jump potential...
    You are so dead when your wife finds out about the ____.

Do you honestly have any idea how much a decent-sized jump/ramp is going to weigh? Also, if it's light enough to pick up, somebody else will. I'll help scout a location, but I think you're nuts. Yes, I am a killjoy.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I've been reading up on building and I'm thinking we plan out some stuff, split tools and commit some time. The wife is o.k. with me getting a chainsaw, as long as its a Husquevarna (she says the'yre the best).

That way all we have to do is haul in the tools, a big ass bag of nails and get to work.

Off the back...
    How big? I'm assuming nothing bigger than the hits on the tail end of RoS [after the steep push up the hill]. About 3' high, 3' wide to a natural transition?

Looking at the mess o' trails in the Moose area, Special K is the easiest project trail to screw up -- I mean, work on. The first section is pretty close to being fall-line, so it might be a good idea to go cross-slope for some of the small jumps and make some switchbacks to lower the average grade. Cutting a totally new freeride trail is IMHO, a bad idea. There are already 7 good trails with a variety of terrain and built features in the area, and most need maintenance. Lots to practice on...

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    Yup, I'm thinking some little fellas (3 footers) and I agree that patching some bad spots on existing trails would be the best way to go.

conjoinicorned
    i will support any initiative regardless....but i really believe we DON'T need any more trails with jumps and stunts. the area needs more technical singletrack (like the east highline in canmore), and the road section on moose packers needs a singletrack ride-around. or possibly a fix-up / new singletrack up canyon creek, so one could loop to jp/cox.

special K has potential to be a nice singletrack alternative to moose packers, keep it steep and rocky, any trail feature should be "natural" IMO. there are myriad excellent freeride trails in the area already.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I Think any trails that can be accessed from a shuttle on Moose will inevitably become DH/FR oriented and beat up. Building new XC/AM trails that you can only access by climbing up first would be ideal, I think the twisty/bermy singletrack bits on ROS would be a perfect model for some new trails, just leave the big stunts out.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I agree that there are enough big stunts, but some beginner ones on some AM trails would be nice.

An XC uphill to ride ROS would be cool, but a bit beyond my fledgling trail building skills.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I should add that there are a pair of professional trail builders in my family so a short course in trail building isn't out of the question.

Off the back...
    I really think that we're about to reach a tipping point with trail development. There are a couple of meetings happening in the next week that could very well determine the future of mountain biking in the Calgary area for years to come. Whatever the outcome, 2009 could be a very interesting year...

Ferday - I'd agree with everything you wrote with the exception of leaving Special K as-is. The steep sections are too steep and can't handle the same kind of volume that Moosepackers can. Right now, it's not really sustainable as an XC/AM trail.

Curbhuck -

Jitenshakun - I think Toothless and Jean-Guy are lighter-duty FR trails. We can check them out when your Knolly is built, and before building any new stunts anywhere else. Yes, I'm backpedaling. Also, there already is an XC uphill trail parallel to the road. It's called Pneuma, it's sweet and should be completed from RoS to the top of the Moosepackers switchbacks this year. Finally, the Friends of Kananaskis offer trail-building courses at the start of the season. Note that these require you to volunteer as a Trail Care Crew Leader at least twice during the season. Also, they teach IMBA-style XC build technique, with an emphasis on multi-user trails. If you want to learn freeride building, talk to the MM Freeriders.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    I just wanna build stuff with a chainsaw, nails and BFH

Seriously though, that's good advice and at the end of the day I'm just itching to do something what with the new uber bike and all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bow Cycle?

Have you hit up the bike shops that run races in that area? For example Bow Cycle has the Bow 80 and ran it in mud last year. If you look up the results it was over 5 hours for the guys that usually do it in 3. There are at least 2 race teams they sponser, cyclemeisters and dead goats... It would be good for those teams to teach the kids teams to not just trash the trails...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast