mtbr member
    May 2009

Golden Conditions

Anybody know what things look like in Golden. I'm particularly interested in Mount Seven and the Moonraker area. I'm from Central Alberta, it seems like it won't be until the middle of June until we can get out the mountain bike around here. I don't think I can handle just raod riding until then!

ups and downs
    Here's the webcams for Kicking Horse Resort at Golden

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/mo...ebcam-all.aspx
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dycker
    Anybody know what things look like in Golden. I'm particularly interested in Mount Seven and the Moonraker area. I'm from Central Alberta, it seems like it won't be until the middle of June until we can get out the mountain bike around here. I don't think I can handle just raod riding until then!

It is gonna be a while this year...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No Kidding! What a late start this year, How far west do you have to go to find some decent XC riding?

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Here's the webcams for Kicking Horse Resort at Golden

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/mo...ebcam-all.aspx

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dycker
    No Kidding! What a late start this year, How far west do you have to go to find some decent XC riding?
    It's great in the Okanagan - a little cloudy but dry. Here's a pic from Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golden Conditions-216434_1912390216895_1456087265_2082546_8238170_n.jpg  

ups and downs
    And it's nice in Vancouver....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golden Conditions-2011_0417new0010.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    It's great in the Okanagan - a little cloudy but dry. Here's a pic from Sunday.
    what trail is this? heading to summerland in July and looking for some trials to play on...

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheClash
    what trail is this? heading to summerland in July and looking for some trials to play on...
    Snakes n Brakes - in Kalamalka Park near Vernon. Here's a view from the same trail looking over the cliff down to Cosens Bay on Kalamalka Lake.

Tons of trails in Kal Park (that's all park land that you see on the left of the pic) and you may want to also check out Ellison Park on Okanagan Lake if you are in the area. The local bike shops have trail maps,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golden Conditions-kal.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    cool, thanks...how far away is that from summerland?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    A little over an hour

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hmm that may be worth the trip for sure....

is it a shuttle trail, loop, out and back xc??

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Multiple loops, so many combinations that I haven't done them all yet. Bring your best lungs and legs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    perfect...sorry to keep asking so many questions.

Is there signage?
    And where can i grab a trail map, any on line sources? (I'm in Alberta)

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    There is good signage but it's mostly posted at the start of individual trails - there are multiple ways into the park and you have to find the traiheads to find the signs!

I suggest contacting the LBS's (Olympia and Sun Country primarily, Skyride is a friendly place but it caters mostly to the Silver Star Bike Park downhill crowd) to see if they are organizing group rides so that you can be oriented to the overall layout and learn how to get to the various trailheads.

Alternatively if you show up at either the Cosens Bay or Red Gate parking lots (two of the main staging areas) early in the morning or late afternoon on most days in the summer you will find riders who can show you some trails. You can find your way into and out of the park from either of those places and have a good time even on your own. Early morning is definitely the prime time to ride in the heat of summer.

Maps? Again, the LBS is your best chance. The only maps I have seen are quite old and don't have a lot of the new trails on them and there are no online maps that I know of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks man I appreciate all the info.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    If you're going to be around Summerland in July you'll certainly want to consider early starts, it gets hot,dry & dusty.
    Also, check these guys out: http://www.bikepenticton.com/
    They seem well organized and are very active locally.

I also had good luck with one of the local shops in Penticton when I was enquiring about trails from Summerland to Penticton a couple of summers ago.
    A young lady who was staying in Summerland and working at the shop (can't remember the shop's name) offered to show me some of the trails between the two communities. She apparently commuted quite frequently from Summerland over these trails to Penticton, which was roughly 1-1/2 hours one way. I explored the area a bit more after the initial outing and found that there was quite a large variety of trail systems in the area. Just needed a local to show me around!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yup we usually get a good ride in during the morning hours, hit the lake after noon and ski/wake board for a bit then hopefully a quick shuttle run to finish off in the cool of the evening. It is a great family reunion with lots of guys and girls that like to ride so we are just looking for new spots.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Lots of good XC riding in the Columbia Valley area, 3 hrs from Calgary. It's warm and the sandy soil dries out fast. Check out the Fairmont/Canal Flats thread.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!