mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Foreigner - Use my phone to access internet.

I will probably dip down in Canada for a couple of months, wanting to use my android phone to acces internet.

Prepaid sim card or some type of sim card I can refill with money (as I do in Sweden) is a must, to have controll over how much i spend.

What is my best option, and what is the rate for internet traffic?

And also where can I acces free wireless networks?

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I'm not sure about the prepaid rates and such, but all major carriers offer a sim card and a prepaid plan.
    www.rogers.ca
    www.bell.ca
    www.telus.ca

As for free wifi spots, they are all over the place, malls, coffee shops, certain restaurants, etc. You should be able to find them quite easily.

Enjoy your visit! Where are you planning on staying?
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks, I have a hard time to understand what prepaid means, is it a monthly charge? Or is it a sim card that you recharge with valuechecks?

I've planned to stay somwhere in BC, with a couple months to go I'm still planning. Going there on a youth work permit, a visa for a year.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I haven't used prepaid a ton, but usually you just use a credit card to top up the money on your phone whenever you need. Most have an expiry on the money you put in, that ranges from a month to a long time, but it varies with provider.

That is awesome, you will love it. The rocky mountains are gorgeous. So many amazing trails.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Starbuck's coffee shops all have free WiFi, and you can't spit in western Canada without hitting a Starbuck's.

If your phone is locked to your home network then a SIM card from a Canadian network won't work and you will need to unlock your phone first. This is the service I use. http://www.blackberryunlocking.com If you don't have a Blackberry, there are links at the bottom of the page for other phone types. It's inexpensive and reliable. I unlock my phones, and when I travel internationally I can then pick up a local SIM card for the country I'm in and use a pre-paid access card or "pay-as-you-go" system.

Here's info about Starbucks WiFi as well as a link to their store locator that you can use when you're here.
    http://www.starbucks.ca/en-ca/_Our+Stores/Wireless.htm
    Last edited by BrentP; 02-04-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!