Thread: Fernie Advice

mtbr member

Fernie Advice

A buddy and I are planning a bike trip to Fernie August 11th-14th
    We're gonna hit the resort for one day of riding and would like to spend the other 2 days
    riding the local trails.

What shouldn't we miss?
    Local Bike Shop?
    Where to camp?

Thanks
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Trail recommendations will vary depending on what type of riding you're doing, however if you swing by one of the bike shops in town they'll happily offer some beta based on whatever criteria you offer them. It's also highly recommended to pick up a map at any of these shops showing the summer trails since some of the proceeds go back into the trail systems. There are a few bike shops along the main shopping drag in Fernie (can't recall the street number off the top of the head).

As for camping there's a provincial campground just South of the town of Fernie, but North of the ski hill that also has a few trails quite close to it. Details can be found here, however the map on the website is slightly off. If you zoom in to the marker the campground is actually located just West on Mt. Fernie Park Road. Since it's a provincial camground there will be signs along the highway directing you to it, so it shouldn't be difficult to find once you're there.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    Best XC/AM rides are probably South Castle, Slunt and Swine flu. The first two are bigger rides depending on your desire to climb but the dh's are good fun, Slunt is more tech though. Swine Flu is a quickish one (45 min to 1:15 is depending on fitness), really fun and swoopy. Unfortunately it does get a bit over used though. South Castle incorporates Roots and Hyperventilation and almost gets you to the top of Castle rocks (a decent side trip for great views). Slunt is accessed by either climbing Phat Bastard/east MushroomHead/Lactic Ridge from town side or Dem Bones/west MushroomHead/Lactic Ridge from the campground.
    There are tons of other trails too and many from the campground area, you can ride here for quite a while and you won't get to all of them.
    Best shops are Straightline, Gear Hub and Guides Hut, all will be eager to help you find what you are looking for and all are on or just off of Victoria (or 2nd) ave.

One BTW there are no showers at the campground but in August the river should be pretty warm for a dip or there is also the Aquatic Center by the dirt jump park.

@adelorenzo
    I was there in the summer of 2010 for a few days before the start of TransRockies, grabbed the local guidebook and had no trouble finding my way around. I was really impressed by the trails there and would love to go back.

South Castle was a very cool ride, would definitely recommend it. The one I really wanted to do but missed was the Porky Blue loop ride from town.