mtbr member
    Aug 2005

fairmont/ canal flats area spring rides?

Winter is still holding firm to banff area, and we are looking to get some time on some dirt. not looking for a DH/FR shuttle, but some XC rides (like the Johnson, on the way to pano)

Anything in the Fairmont area? What is this "spirit bear" trail near fairmont?
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    The Spirit Trail between Fairmont and Canal Flats and back is an excellent XC ride. The nice thing about that area is that it dries out early, and the soil is very sandy and drains well if it rains (you don't get the Rocky Mountain gumbo like you do on the Alberta side of the range).

If I'm not mistaken, I think that ride is listed in 'The Bible', i.e. Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies. My only caveat is that it might take a couple of rides before you get it right. The first time I rode it we I ended up on several false trails and probably wasted a couple of hours route finding. Once you know it, it's a blast.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks BrentP.

the ride I have done a few times is "trail of 2 rivers" #137 in the bible, and is mostly double track (very nice double track) but I have heard rumours of some more single track options in that same area.

mtbr member
    You might find something at this site
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thanks x-ker. some good info on that too. not sure if that will be low enough to be snow free, anyone have some current beta?

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    There's lots of great single track that winds through the forest and climbs up and down the valley slope, in fact I spend as little time on the double track and fire roads as possible. I've never found a map that shows any of the single track, though.

My best advice is to try to find someone who's familiar with the trails. Next time your out there, go up to the Fairmont Hotsprings Lodge and on the level just above reception there is a sports/activities office. Go in and ask them for some detail. There's also a nice ride from the lodge, up the mountain on cross country ski trails, that will dump you at near the top of the chairlift for the ski area. You get some nice elevation gain (about 2,0000 to 2,500 feet maybe?) and a good screaming downhil on the way back if you take one of the main trails or the access road.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    The map on the Fairmont link from x-ker's post shows the trail I described earlier that winds it way up to the ski area (the red dots).

Also, lower down on the right side is the contact number for the operation I referred to in the Fairmont Lodge (BC Rockies Adventures). Contact them to see if they have details on the single track between Fairmont and Canal Flats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    any idea if any of that will be snowed in this weekend still. was looking good last week on our way back from fernie to banff.
    not sure if the new snow in the past day(s) will have covered up the trails again

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thanks for all the info, got down yesterday, and it was all dry and good to go.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    thanks for all the info, got down yesterday, and it was all dry and good to go.
    How'd you fare on your route selection? Did you find the single track trails between Fairmont and Canal Flats?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    yup, found some options, bit hard to find the starts of the trails, but once you are on them hard to get lost.
    90 minutes on the top to bottom loop, then rode it the other way as well...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rode Along the Johnson and the Kloosifier in Invermere this past weekend. Dry, fast and hella fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Kloosifier? Care to give some more info?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Apparently it just got cut this (last?) year. Hasn't been signed yet, but it's in the trail book available at the bike shops in Invermere. From the book:

From Columbia Cycle, go west on Athalmer Drive. Turn right on Panorama Drive for approx 5km. At the top of the steep hill, turn left onto Clover Rd. Park without blocking mailboxes. The trailhead (start/finish - it's an out & back) is behind the mailbox. Best ridden downhill & to the right into the tall grass.
    However, I'd recommend grabbing the book with the map; it's a little confusing in some spots. Fun trail though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for that, I didn;t know that a guide book was out for this area. I'll have to stop into the bike shop(s) and buy one....