******ed or Branded??

New question here. Extra day of riding off of whistler, need advice....

Ok so we have an extra day of riding I'd like to spend off of whistler mtn.
    A buddy and I will be bringing our DH bikes of course. I'm coming from AZ, and he'll be coming from HI. We both have good tech riding skillz on the slow and fast variety of trails. Both like to hit above intermediate size gaps, jumps, drops, hits

We'll have a small rental car but could definitly compensate any shuttle service from locals with lots of beer and gas cash!!!

We'll have 3 full days of whistler riding. The fourth day we would like to get in either a squamish shuttle session or north shore shredding. Would like a guide but precise directions would do also.

Trip is planned out already on concrete from the 10th to the 13th. These are our riding days.

Any and all advice are welcomed and very much appriciated in advance!

******ed or Branded??
    Umm wow 112 views not one single friendly suggestionl/offer Alrighty then....... Guess going full tourist is our only option. Thanks neighbors from the north.

ups and downs
    Squamish tends to be more of a pedal up to ride down place, trails like Full and Half Nelson above Garibaldi heights are the bermy pumpy DH trails and are usually accessed by riding up the Climb trail (the trail of a gazillion switchbacks). Shuttling happens but is generally frowned upon by the hard core locals. But after 3 days at Whistler Bike Park the Squamish DH trails likely won't excite you all that much as there isn't as long a descent available. Squamish has killer XC and AM trail networks, and most of the black diamond freeride is accessed above Quest University in the Garibaldi Highlands. Check with Tantalus Bikes in Squamish for a SORCA trail map.

Pemberton is also a ride up to earn the descent trail network.

On the North Shore, Cypress and Seymour are the only mountains with shuttles, but nothing really that regular or scheduled. A lot of people access the Seymour trails by riding up Old Buck Trail and across Baden Powell or the Powerline road. Fromme is a ride up to earn the descent mountain only, no vehicle access. Endless Biking are the people to talk to about a combo of shuttle service and guiding.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    Umm wow 112 views not one single friendly suggestionl/offer Alrighty then....... Guess going full tourist is our only option. Thanks neighbors from the north.
    Maybe those 112 people are tried of answering the same question every week! There's a sticky at the top that answers your questions.

As far as a local showing you around.. people are reluctant to show out of towners around due to the difficulty of the trails. The blues here are blacks most other places. People end up walking lots the first few times they ride in BC. Imagine taking your brother who never rides out on your regular Saturday ride.. That's what's going happen only you're the brother.

My advice for outside the park is : Buy a WORCA map from a bike shop. My shop is Fantlyk. You can ask them for a good day out or ask for the free map and take the recommended singletrack route highlighted. If you wanna hit Pemberton buy a map from The Bike Co. Ask them for ideas. If you wanna hit Squamish go to Corsa Cycles and buy a SORCA map ask them for advice. They will tell you where you can shuttle..I won't. If you wanna hit the shore go to Fromme. Lynn Valley Bikes has a map. You can ride your big bikes up the fire road to all the trails. Hit Floppy Bunny or Natural High first. Better yet hire Endless Biking to guide you so you don't end up busted up or worse on Fromme.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

******ed or Branded??
    Thanks rockyuphill,

And I guess thanks homeless junkie, for your information I have looked in the sticky, and nothing on there really catered to what I'm looking for. Hence the posted thread.

I didn't want to be boastfull and say I'm a ninja on a bike, but I can hit everything on Whistler except maybe Crabapple tables. Those are quite huge. We don't have that kind of stuff in AZ. But for steep rocky stuff that looks like fall line, then that's where I shine. Don't be so quick to judge someone ability especially on mtbr.

Secondly, I wasn't asking for secret gems to ride. I just wanted to hit some shuttleable trails in either in Squamish or north shore. This is only my second time ever in Canada, and watching those amazing vids of sweet trails has been a dream of mine. Not that I want to hit those exact trails (would be sick if we do) but I know lots of them are locals only. Just wanted to rock some fun shuttles with an awesome crew with the same lust for gravity. We have trails in AZ that are locals only also, don't think you folks are the only ones. But we are always willing to share the wealth with like minded people that don't spread the word after being shown the trail.
    I'm no strava whore, nor a public vid poster of secret trails. I know better than that. How do you think we keep our secret trails secret? So guess thanks for schooling me in nothing that I didn't know.

Well with that being all said, if you are ever in AZ or HI, feel free to hit me up. I'd be more than happy to show you some of our fun stuff. Just as long as you adhere to the rule of keeping it quite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I guess you're welcome then Doodooboi. Haha.. My post was an explanation of why you didn't get any replies with a little advice on trails and some safety tips ( I wish somebody would have told me) at the end. I'm surprised that sticky didn't have any information pertaining to your questions. I think Lee created it so that first time visitors to BC would have all the information on what, where and when.

From your reply it sounds like you have lots of good skills so it looks like you'll be able to get a ton of riding in. My point however, is no matter how fast or skilled you are you'll have a hard time keeping up with someone who rides say Whistler Valley often. There's many obstacles and features in a small amount of trail on the black diamond trails here. It takes most riders a few laps to ride everything clean. Therefore that rider's slower than someone who rides that trail regularly. This is just an possible explanation of why some did not get back to you. I wasn't questioning your skill.

No need to seek out any secret trails. All the trails posted on the maps I told you about are all super fun trails. If you take my or Rocky's advice about asking any LBS to set you up with a game plan you will really enjoy yourself. It's unbelievable the amount of volunteer work that goes into the trails. I'm not sure I know what you're talking about when you say "I schooled you in keeping trails a secret" I can only think you took my comment " Corsa Cycles will show you where you can shuttle I won't" as me saying to you I won't tell you any secret trails. I won't show you what fire roads you shuttle is all. I'm one those people Rocky was talking about. One that frowns upon shuttling. The only "locals only" trails are ones that no out of towner could find. Those trails evolve bushwhacking. I'm sure if you found one you would be welcomed to ride it.

One last thing.. I'm not a local, just another out of towner. I have a condo in the upper village so we spend every July and February here. This year we've been spending more time than average. I tried to answer in detail best I could since you seemed very disappointed no one took the time to reply. Not to talk ****.. Lighten up!

Be sure to post the details of your trip and current trail conidtions.

******ed or Branded??
    I'll just assume you have never led a ride for an out of towner before in your local trails. And how to go about it and what to expect.
    Well when ever we show a trail, which of course will be new to the out of towner, they will be slow, it's a given hence the reason for them going with a guide. That's why we take breaks to explain the up coming feature, or session the feature. That's the beauty of getting the local insight, you get to see the speed, angle and line to hit things that are technical. Why do you think WC racers walk a course before even practicing it. To familiarize them selfs with it.
    I would never just take off on a trail that I am being a guide to. That's not what a local friendly guide does. I would always make sure they are ok. This is just basic common sense to being a local guide to a trail. It's an awesome feeling to see the stoke on someones face overcoming a tough section and then picking up the speed, and at the end of the day had a great time. That's what mtbking is all about, great trails with amazing people.

Either way thanks for the advice once again. And I'll be sure to wait and show you what you need to know on the trails to have fun. So that you don't hurt yourself if you ever get to AZ or HI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    I'll just assume you have never led a ride for an out of towner before in your local trails. And how to go about it and what to expect.
    Well when ever we show a trail, which of course will be new to the out of towner, they will be slow, it's a given hence the reason for them going with a guide. That's why we take breaks to explain the up coming feature, or session the feature. That's the beauty of getting the local insight, you get to see the speed, angle and line to hit things that are technical. Why do you think WC racers walk a course before even practicing it. To familiarize them selfs with it.
    I would never just take off on a trail that I am being a guide to. That's not what a local friendly guide does. I would always make sure they are ok. This is just basic common sense to being a local guide to a trail. It's an awesome feeling to see the stoke on someones face overcoming a tough section and then picking up the speed, and at the end of the day had a great time. That's what mtbking is all about, great trails with amazing people.

Either way thanks for the advice once again. And I'll be sure to wait and show you what you need to know on the trails to have fun. So that you don't hurt yourself if you ever get to AZ or HI.

... Wow, still missing the point. I bet you'll have a great ride today even without any of those 112 people to show you around.

mtbr member
    There isn't a lot of great shuttling in whistler or squamish. Best spots are cypress and Seymour