Grip it and rip it.

Entered Yukon Ultra... Need Help.

Hi, Ive entered the 26 mile running marathon. My fitness is fine but not sure what to wear. I'm living in Whistler at the moment so getting used to the cold but I think it will be about -30 up there.

I'd like any help on gear I can get. At the moment for running here I wear some tights with a waterproof and windproof front, a base layer and an icebreaker mid weight layer on top. Light weight gloves and a beenie.

Cheers.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

ups and downs
    Yep, good bet on the temperatures, and then there's windchill on top of that

Temperatures

They have some good advice there...

Hypothermia & Frostbite

FAQ

Gear

Mostly it sounds like a crazy person sport...

Race light:

In this mode of ultralight racing, eating, drinking and constant movement can mean the difference between finishing the race quickly or becoming a victim of the Arctic Winter.

If you have any doubt about your ability to move constantly for the time required to travel between checkpoints regardless of conditions this is not for you!
    1. Clothes worn while traveling which will maintain your body temperature as long as you are moving.
    2. Sleeping bag heavy enough when used with your clothes to rest for short periods if absolutely necessary (1 to 2 hours) or to use when making water in extreme cold temperatures.
    3. Trail food and or sport drink powders if you use them.
    4. Water container with enough insulation to prevent freezing to -40. Size depends on how often you wish to stop and make water.
    5. Stove White gas preferred as mixed gas canisters require preheating at extreme cold temperatures.
    6. 1.3 litre titanium pot for making water.
    7. Wind jacket and pants.
    8. Bikers and skiers will want proper tools and parts to maintain there equipment.

This mode of winter travel is only for the very experience winter racer and if you need this list is probably not for you. Successful racers have eliminated the stove and cook pot from this list but I would never recommend this to anyone!

Race mode
    :

To decrease risk and increase comfort for most experienced racers you can add 1 or more of the following to the race light list

1. Down or synthetic Parka and or pants
    2. Sleeping bag heavy enough to maintain "YOUR" comfort for long periods at -40. The rating on bags mean very little as each individuals requirements differ. Testing is the ONLY way to be sure and if you are not very experienced with down synthetic insulation is preferable.
    3. Over boots and or chemical toe warmers
    4. Heavy mittens or chemical hand warmers
    5. Food for hot meals on the trail preferably to be warmed not cooked. Most pre-prepared dehydrated meals are quick and easy but very low in calories.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Good Day,
    I live in Whitehorse and ride all winter, so you can pick my brain if you want. Use to be a runner but now sticking with bikes. Can PM me.
    Mario

Grip it and rip it.
    Thanks rockyuphill, I found that gear list on google but presumed it was mostly targetted at people doing the 100 or 300 mile race. I don't plan on being out for two long doing the 26 mile, maybe 5 hours maz I'm guessing depending on conditions. There probably won't be as much stop starting as people doing the longer ones.

Yukon Alvin, yep I'll pm you thanks .

@adelorenzo
    Bring lots of clothing options, could be zero or forty below. I've seen years where it is so bad even locals were scratching in the marathon.

Managing your sweat is critical. Add/remove layers as needed, if you sweat too much then you'll freeze and that is not good.

If you need a place to stay PM me I might be able to help you out.

Grip it and rip it.
    Cheers Anthony, I just booked a room at the High Country Inn with a friend who is also doing it so I don't need your offer this time :-) .

Yeah your probably right about bringing lots of clothes options. I bring lots of different layers to a mtb race so makes sense for this too!

@adelorenzo
    Sounds good. Will probably see you there, we usually show up to watch the crazies head out.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Sounds good. Will probably see you there, we usually show up to watch the crazies head out.
    Speaking of which, you were just immortalized on CBC radio news in their Whitehorse snowbiker coverage.

Whitehorse cyclists hit the snowy trails - North - CBC News
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-22-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

@adelorenzo
    How did it go? Looks like you guys had a nice day and trail for it.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Speaking of which, you were just immortalized on CBC radio news in their Whitehorse snowbiker coverage.

Whitehorse cyclists hit the snowy trails - North - CBC News
    Ah yeah... Other than my crazed laughter sound bite it turned out well. Hopefully that doesn't scare people away from trying it.

Grip it and rip it.
    How did it go? Looks like you guys had a nice day and trail for it.
    Yeah we were really lucky with the weather! I was kind of hoping it would be a bit colder just to ad more of a challenge. It was only about -5. It was also my first marathon so was happy to finish it, 4 hours 20 mins didn't break any records but I heard most people are faster on the road.
    The course was nice, tracked out snow from the snow mobiles. A few places where your foot sank in and break your rhythm but nothing major.

Really good event, I want to do the 100 or 300 on a bike now!