Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Hopefully the trails will be ready soon. Can't wait to start riding on dirt again and in warmer weather.

Fat biking is ok but riding in Edmonton's cold weather honestly sucks.

Looks like there are many trail disruptions this season due to construction. Looks like there will be a need to carve out new single track to replace ones that were lost or going to be lost.

mtbr member
    Excellent. Good to see a spring/summer thread up. I've only been on my fatbike once in the past couple of weeks as I really hate riding in the mud. Road bike ride planned for this weekend out in the country. Hopefully the warming trend that we'll see this week will continue and we can get some of the packed snow melting. I'm pretty anxious for the snow to be gone seeing as how we've had for so long this past season.

mtbr member
    We've had some pretty big melting spells already. If we're lucky the North side of the river should clear up soon.
    Gave the cross bike a spin to work this morning, nice to be out after a winter of skiing!

mtbr member
    The cold spell of the last two weeks has actually been okay, since it's meant two weeks of firm trails and not much mud. Next week we're supposed to get rain and temperatures in the teens, which will hopefully clear things up.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I hope it melts quick and dries out for you. I always found Spring hard on my patience.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I should mention that Victoria Secret probably won't be affected by the bridge contstruction, since the second entrance is well south of the area they've cleared. And I assume the Groat Rollercoaster will probably be fine too - won't really know until they put the fences up, but I figure it will just have an extra steep drop/hike at the south end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is Victoria Secret any good? I think I've rode that trail once, based on directions I found on the Edmonton threads, but the trail wasn't very fun, and I think I ran over at least 2 homeless camps.
    Perhaps I had the wrong trail? It comes out of groat ravine on the east side and wraps around below the victoria promenade?

mtbr member
    It's a pretty good trail for our river valley. Drop in / exit just south of the 102 ave / Grout road bridge. It rolls a tad on the steep side relative to the rest of the river valley trails, rooty and off camber. You will find the odd homeless camp up there, but no different than anywhere else. You've got a fair number of route choices in the middle.

mtbr member
    Hey Newfangled, do you know when and where the new southside bikeworks shop will open?

mtbr member
    ^ It's just a block away from the old location, in what used to be the Videodrome on 102st and 80ave. https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...,47.31,,0,3.99

Orientation for returning volunteers is next week, and the opening may be on Saturday April 12? But they're apparently still waiting for a permit or something from the city, so it might be delayed another week or two? If they make the official announcment I'll try to remember to repost it here. I'm eager to get back at it.

mtbr member
    Excellent! Thanks for the update. I've got some miscellaneous part donations I've been accumulating and the south location is super convenient for me for drop off.

mtbr member
    Took my "summer" bike out today for the first time this year, and got filthy. So much mud at the seatstay bridge that I locked up the rear wheel. Blah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ Ya, I took my "summer" bike out a few weeks ago for a ride (the last nice spell before the latest cool/snow). Big Mistake. I probably spent more time getting mud out of/off my bike then I did riding it, and I've already put the fat bike away for the season. It's official the off season for me for the next week or two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If I had looked on here before going out today, I might have stuck to a road ride. At least when things were cold, everything was relatively solid, I guess it comes with the changing of seasons. Been road ridding my new bike, thought I'd get off the concrete path a little today. Big Mistake. Slush, water and gobs and gobs of mud. This was just on the multi use gravel paths. I didn't even attempt any of the single track. Washed the new bike up and I think I'll stick to the old beater for the next couple weeks. It sure does feel good to ride in the nice weather though.

mtbr member
    Not sure what to expect for the weekend, but right now things are pretty gross. Today the river suddenly has no ice left on it, though.

mtbr member
    Another weekend, another road bike ride for myself. I think we're another good couple of weeks away from any good riding in the river valley.

Saw that the river was almost ice-free this morning while crossing the low level bridge. Weird how it seems to happen all of a sudden.

mtbr member
    Depends on the location though. There was still plenty of ice on the river by the zoo last night. From below, it looked like Victoria's Secret might be drying up, but I wouldn't count on anywhere else for a while yet.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I walked the dog on Victoria secret this morning, and it's half dry/half mud. The couple of other northbank trails are probably similar.

For southbank though, I was on Keillor yesterday and it's all ice and mud. And it's probably one of the sunniest of the southbank trails.

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Millcreek = mud
    Also whatever the city is doing down there ain't helping either as they have some single track blocked off and a huge mud fest where they are driving in the HD equipment.

mtbr member
    The Mill Creek work is related to drainage. Last year (or was it two years ago?), there were a bunch of sinkholes by the big culverts and the City is fixing them, albeit at the expense of some trail carnage.

mtbr member
    I actually did end up going for a ride today, and things weren't bad. I took lower ewok, which was a mistake - the northeast 3/4 was good, but the last quarter was terrible. Dirty mattress has some weird frozen ponds in the middle of it, but a lot of stuff was pretty rideable.

And it turns out I was wrong about the groat rollercoaster. The city has put their staging area at the southend, so they've blocked off a really big area. So maybe it will be out of commission until fall 2015?

mtbr member
    Did another road ride yesterday. With the cool temperatures and wind, my toes were frozen by the end of the ride. Worse than winter riding.

First Hardcore group ride goes tonight. Will report back on the trails. I suspect we will be on the north side of the river, MUT and paved for the most part.

mtbr member
    ^ I hear you on the cold toes. I wore my summer socks yesterday, and was hurting by the time I got home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone been to Terwilliger? I was thinking of checking it out tonight, would it be worth a look?

mtbr member
    I'd pass. Terwilliger has a lot of clay, so any moisture in the ground can clog up your drivetrain right away. The open area would be fine, but any treed areas (i.e. the good parts) are likely to be wet and sticky still.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast