Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Looks like the city was nice enough to have the bridge guys cut a new, south entrance for the Groat Road Rollercoaster. It's pretty steep, and currently very loose, but you can't miss it. Now I'm going to have to take the dog to see whether or not they also put in a new one for Victoria Secret.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Looks like the city was nice enough to have the bridge guys cut a new, south entrance for the Groat Road Rollercoaster. It's pretty steep, and currently very loose, but you can't miss it. Now I'm going to have to take the dog to see whether or not they also put in a new one for Victoria Secret.
    This is amazing!

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Unfortunately without the bridge it makes it difficult to connect a worthwhile loop from Vic secret over to roller coaster and vice versa.

mtbr member
    ^ assuming Victoria Secret is open again (and last time I checked the second entrance was only blocked by about 6' of fencing) then the Museum>Rollercoaster>Secret loop is doable. Have to detour to the 104ave bridge anyway, and taking the rollercoaster is better than toodling through glenora like I've been doing.

mtbr member
    So the city has also cut a new entry to Victoria Secret. You obviously have to take the 104ave bridge, and detour behind the shops, but it's nice that it's not closed all year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What type of trails are available for bikes out at cooking lake provincial park? Looking on the strava heat map there looks like there might be an impressive trail system out there, but then again, it might just be a horse trail.

Anyone know?

mtbr member
    You're seeing the xc ski trails. And around Wanisan and Islet lake the Kettle-cross race course section of the ski trails.

It's all wide open rolling double track with no features. Fine enough for a pedal with the kids, or a flat out rip on a cyclocross bike, but not interesting for a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    The bridge to cambodia is repaired again. And someone put some serious shovel time into the skyline ride around where it was slumping. Rides nice!

The A-bomb access has been linked up to an old trail, just across the street and about 10m east of the Caddy Track west entrance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    The A-bomb access has been linked up to an old trail, just across the street and about 10m east of the Caddy Track west entrance.
    Does that mean no more climbing the killer MUP up from A-bomb to Caddytrack? That stretch of pavement is awful on my singlespeed.

mtbr member

^^^ that climb sure does bite. Yes that climb is avoided but obviously you give up that last downhill switchback section from A bomb that spits you out bottom of MUP. And I hate Caddytrack east to west.

Whomever is carving these trails big thanks cause really loving these great trails within the city. My hope is that there are more and more trail networks to come within river valley.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 07-24-2014 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone been out on the trails recently? I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking a mountain bike out this afternoon, or if I should just stick to the fixie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ I'm going out later this afternoon. I will stick to trails that tend to dry out the first, likely to be some pretty muddy low points, especially on the lower trails, or trails that don't see much sun.
    If the trail is muddy and I'm leaving a track, I'll just turn around. No point wrecking the single track trails.

mtbr member
    I just walked around laurier with the dog, and things were pretty dry. A few soft spots, and a few slightly greasy spots, but it should be a decent trail day.

Edited to add:

So things were in pretty good shape today. A few places like dirty mattress were a little slimy. The only really bad area I found was low down in millcreek - I guess the creek must have overflowed a bit on friday, because where the trails are right down by the water things are still completely soaked.
    Last edited by newfangled; 07-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tried to ride from the science park to gold bar yesterday, noticed on the western end toward gold bar is now fenced off, and looks like a slide has happened, so had to either double back to the science park, or take the trail where the bridge washed out last year in the monsoon season. The bridge has been replaced by a sketchy looking setup, so I doubled back, and went around through rundle park. The rest of the trail(s) are looking pretty good.

Location of the fence/slide https://www.google.com/maps/place/53...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

mtbr member
    Since it sounds like there's a reasonable chance Edmonton might host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, I figured people might find this interesting:

(the first 7 minutes or so are highlights of the women's run)

If we did host it, I wonder where they'd put the course? Use the old Canada Cup course, but with some extra tv-friendly features by walterdale and the old pool? Or terwillegar with maybe a sprint over the future pedestrian bridge into Oleskiw?

mtbr member

^^ are you talking about running or mtb event?

mtbr member
    Sorry, mtb. By "highlights of the women's run" I actually meant "highlights of Catharine Pendrel and Emily Batty taking Gold & Silver in women's mountain biking." The video of the men's "run" didn't show the course very well, but the women's coverage gives a pretty good sense of the course layout.

mtbr member

Would love to see them bomb through Cadillac and A bomb trails although it would be tough put an actual loop course in those areas. It's also 8 yrs away so hopefully our river valley will be more infested with singletrack. Also bikes, gear will be a lot different in 8 yrs. power assisted drive trains, electronic everything including on the fly geometry adjustments and I'm sure by then there will be a new wheel size ..... 28.2 inch I'm guessing. 😉

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    The bridge to cambodia is repaired again...
    This bridge? Pictures from last weekend.

Fenced off slump area by the pump station:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ya that's what I ran into, and that plank bridge looks sketchy and coming from the east is pretty gnarly just to get down to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This trail is good to go again after a minor bench cut and a lot of pruning.

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-trail.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I walked that plank on the Cambodia trail last weekend and didn't fall into the creek, so I'll attest to the fact that it was at least somewhat safe to use if you weigh 160 pounds and are me last week. I'm about to go do it again though, so I'll report back if I fall in or if there's a better route to get around that part of the trail.

Also, out of curiosity, where is the entrance for the Groat Road Roller Coaster and Victoria's Secret? I do most of my riding on the east side of the city and don't make it out around McKinnon too regularly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
    Also, out of curiosity, where is the entrance for the Groat Road Roller Coaster and Victoria's Secret? I do most of my riding on the east side of the city and don't make it out around McKinnon too regularly.

The groat roller coaster is in orange, and victoria secret in yellow.

---
    Also, if you are planning on hitting the mckinnion ravine, you may want to consider hitting the rooty trail and pinball alley/bobsled.
    Rooty:
    Entrance

trail

Bobsled/PBA.

The orange trail (in this map) is a tough climb ... but worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    do any of these three trails have a common name?

mtbr member
    1 is cadillac/caddytrack
    2 is the route that I call upper ewok, although there are a million entrances/exits
    3 is what I'd call middle ewok, although it also has a bunch of branches including the mup.

And yesterday was the first time I'd noticed the sign for "Risky Business" which is apparently the name for the trail on the southside of the river, that's just east of the capilano bridge, and on the southside of the mup.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast