Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WayneGretzky View Post
    Tree down on the western, more gradual downhill from 110 St/Sask Drive to the MUP.

Use the eastern, steep trail or the paved path to get down or up.
    Make sure your brakes are functioning if taking the steep trail down as it intersects with the paved and could be t bone disaster for newbies that blast down without realizing what I just mentioned.... I honestly don't even think it's possible to come to dead stop as the bottom of steep is right at where it meets paved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looking to service my 36 TALAS (or convert it to a 150mm FLOAT) - does anyone know where I can get a service/conversion kit for one and DIY it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    Looking to service my 36 TALAS (or convert it to a 150mm FLOAT) - does anyone know where I can get a service/conversion kit for one and DIY it?
    Not sure about the conversion kit. I just serviced mine a few months ago. There are some decent walkthroughs on YouTube. You will need some fork oil, Fox float fluid and new wipers/seals which include new crush washers. I picked all that up at Revolution. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hello everyone, getting back into riding after a few years. Have never been on any of the trails aroumd edmonton but have heard some good things. Looking for someone or a few someones to show me around. Looked into joining a riding group but the ones I have found meet on weeknights and I work untill after midnight but am off Friday-Sunday. Anyone willing to let me tag along? I am located in the north west of the city close to 127st and 127ave

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks canbmw.

Another totally unrelated question.. in 2009 I foolishly listened to a guy that knows better (co-owner(?) of Knolly Bikes) and bought a Large Endorphin. Upon building it up, I found the cockpit too cramped and very nose-light. I had test ridden Dr.Brad's XL before that (and loved the way it fit) but Knolly insisted I'm for sure a Large. I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, 225 lbs riding weight.

Fast forward to summer 2013, I tried to get to adjust the cockpit so I'd like the bike but just couldn't get it to a level where I was enjoying riding it. I tried everything from moving the seat back to a 120mm stem, and riding with the TALAS at 140mm.

So I'm thinking what choices I have.. I've sunk huge dollars into this rig already, so my choices seem to be:

a) Do I go with an XL 2014 Endorphin for $2k, move parts over, and hope that works?
    2) Sell the 2010 Endorphin, get something else for the $2k plus whatever I get for the Endo (maybe some 650b or 29'er)
    xiv. Ride the hardtail (see below) and leave with some extra bills in my wallet for my next addiction?

The other bikes in my stable are a 21" Kona Kiluaea hardtail for winter and a 61cm Hakkalugi which is pretty much my go-to bike unless I find myself doing the river valley trails with friends.. We just had our first kid so money's a bit tight.. I haven't been able to ride too far into the valley since her arrival, so maybe I don't need a third bike at all...

Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    ^ that's rough. I'd think that selling the frame and moving the parts to an XL would usually be the cheapest way to handle it. But so many standards have changed in the last 4 years - front & rear through axles, tapered headsets, 27.5, 1x - that you might end up needing to change (or wanting to change) a bunch of stuff anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lec View Post
    Hello everyone, getting back into riding after a few years. Have never been on any of the trails aroumd edmonton but have heard some good things. Looking for someone or a few someones to show me around. Looked into joining a riding group but the ones I have found meet on weeknights and I work untill after midnight but am off Friday-Sunday. Anyone willing to let me tag along? I am located in the north west of the city close to 127st and 127ave
    Give us a little more information on your riding skill level, fitness, and current bike setup. Will help determine what areas would be appropriate to ride in around Edmonton

mtbr member
    I've got an open spot on my 24 Hour team this year due to a member crash last Monday that will see him off the bike for a few weeks. Private message me if you're interested. Non-competitive 5 person team.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Give us a little more information on your riding skill level, fitness, and current bike setup. Will help determine what areas would be appropriate to ride in around Edmonton
    I'm 33, I used to do a lot of single track and downhill riding as well as some competitive bmx riding in the kamloops area of BC when I lived there, however I haven't done any riding off paved paths in about 10 yrs. My current bike os a brand new Schwinn Graft pro. It has full suspension and disc brakes.

mtbr member
    You could come out Monday night for the Hardcore group ride. Rides leave from the shop at 6:30pm. Take the slow social paced ride and you'll get a taste of what's out there. First ride is free, but you will have to sign a waiver. Your bike might be the limiting factor as some areas of Edmonton would be pretty hard on it. For the Monday ride, your bike would be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ that's rough. I'd think that selling the frame and moving the parts to an XL would usually be the cheapest way to handle it. But so many standards have changed in the last 4 years - front & rear through axles, tapered headsets, 27.5, 1x - that you might end up needing to change (or wanting to change) a bunch of stuff anyway.
    yeah.. I've priced out a new headset, rear axle conversion, and a new front derailleur.. doesn't add that much to the conversion price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    You could come out Monday night for the Hardcore group ride. Rides leave from the shop at 6:30pm. Take the slow social paced ride and you'll get a taste of what's out there. First ride is free, but you will have to sign a waiver. Your bike might be the limiting factor as some areas of Edmonton would be pretty hard on it. For the Monday ride, your bike would be fine.
    As I said in my first post I work untill after midnight Monday-thursday but am off Friday - Sunday

mtbr member
    Ah, sorry, reading comprehension oversight.

I'd take you out for a bit on a weekend, but it'd have to be in August as I'm gone on vacation.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I'll be out riding Friday/Saturday if you want to tag along. I usually start at Sask Drive and 109.
    Last edited by WayneGretzky; 07-09-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot quote

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a local bike shop with a good service department? I've moved recently and my old standby is now across the city - I'm in the southeast so somewhere east or central is most convenient.
    Does anyone from Sherwood Park know if Park Cycle is still open? It's on my way to work but their number is out of service.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcCoy View Post
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a local bike shop with a good service department? I've moved recently and my old standby is now across the city - I'm in the southeast so somewhere east or central is most convenient.
    Does anyone from Sherwood Park know if Park Cycle is still open? It's on my way to work but their number is out of service.
    What service do you need done?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a metallic clanging/rubbing noise coming from the front-end of my 2014 Specialized Crave Pro with every wheel rotation. No noise if you just spin the wheel but gets real loud when riding for a while. I still have free service at the shop I bought it from but they weren't able to find the source (I have a feeling that they were so busy that they didn't spend a whole lot of time investigating).
    My service knowledge isn't the best but I suspect it's coming from the front rotor or spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Try Mud Sweat & Gears in Sherwood Park. I didn't buy my bike there but I still find myself using their service department quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HankMcCoy View Post
    I've got a metallic clanging/rubbing noise coming from the front-end
    Probably rotor rub? Is it like a "ching-ching-ching" like a cymbal or highhat? Sometimes I'll have it happen just when I'm turning, because the flex in the fork or hub is enough to cause some contact.

First step is probably to take a look at how close the rotor is getting to the pads. The easiest way is to shine a flashlight into the caliper from one end, look in from the other, and give the wheel a spin and watch for wobbles in the rotor.

If that's the problem, the easiest solution is to back the offending pad off a bit, or nudge the caliper over. You can also try truing the rotor, but that sucks (it does work, but can also go horribly, frustratingly wrong.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the response. Rotor rub was what I assumed the issue was before I took the bike in but they didn't find anything and I would assume that this would be the first thing they'd check. There is a distinct chance that they didn't actually take the bike out on a long enough ride to hear the noise and just wrote it off.
    No noticeable wobble from the rotor but I'll try the flashlight trick to see if that shows anything different - thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, any wobble will be minuscule, and even a brandnew rotor won't be perfectly true. You're basically using the flashlight to watch the very tiny gap between the pads and rotor, and see if there are any spots where it gets really, really tiny.

I run mechanical discs, where it's easy to just adjust the pads out a click. Hydros are smarter and selfadjust, but someone at Brake Time could probably tell you how to fix it (or what to tell the shop)

rides with camera

Where are the Pictures YEG thread?

Been incapacitated from riding, so I come on here looking for some good Edmonton riding/ trail shots and I know you have them..

Come on people! Post em up!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks to Feepa for showing me around the terwillegar trails this morning. Quick to realize that I need to work on getting my wind back. Had a great time. It felt good to be back on a bike cruising some trails.
    An open faced helmet and maybe some gloves on the list for next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper View Post
    Come on people! Post em up!

Warm one today. Normally in the summer I ride with a merino beanie under my helmet to theoretically keep me cool, and to keep me from getting a weird suntan on the top of my head.

But today I was dying. On cadillac(or caddytrack apparently?) I felt like my brain was melting. Took it off, and the rest of the ride was much more pleasant.

mtbr member

I was melting on my 9pm ride today... Usually cools down by then ... Not today. Someone doing some trail work on his own and patching up the skyline trail ride around where the tree section is on brink of collapsing into river, kudos to you buddy.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast