Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Difficult to understand the mind of a vandal.. to have nothing better to do than pull planks out of an otherwise functional bridge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    Here are some pictures from the trail maintenance day.
    Sorry. I forgot to snap some of the new trail.

Near old timers/skyline
    Attachment 923668
    Skyline (the fight against the slumping bank rages on...)
    Attachment 923669
    Emily Murphy Park
    Attachment 923670
    Emily Murphy Park
    Attachment 923671
    SWEET. Thx goes out for the work done!

mtbr member
    The plank across the creek in Cambodia is starting to slip and twist on the east bank. Looked much sketchier than normal so we used the fence instead, but there were 2 of us to toss bikes across.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have been adding some Edmonton content to trailforks.

Check it out.
    Edmonton Biking Trails | Trailforks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    I have been adding some Edmonton content to trailforks.

Check it out.
    Edmonton Biking Trails | Trailforks
    This is freaking awesome! Hopefully more gets added by other local riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I will try to add to this, especially over the winter. I've been looking for a good place to do this - hopefully others will too.

mtbr member
    Wow, that site is great. Especially with the videos and everything. Every so often I check out bikepirate or whatever, but trailforks is so much easier to use.

mtbr member
    Trails were in great shape last night! Broken rear spoke cut my ride short, though.

mtbr member
    Got out last night with a friend and his new Farley 8. Conditions were great!

Farley handled everything with ease. No issues on traction on the rooty climbs, some skidding/traction issues on the bigger descents, and the fork performed without any issues. He was running around 7-8 psi in front and rear.

mtbr member
    Totally froze my toes today. Time to start layering up, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd hold off layering up for a few more days. today is an odd day in the forecast. Back in the mid teens....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    jkirkpatri: I totally creeped on your photo page. There's one that is driving me nuts! Where is IMG_2513_zpsba68fd53? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    jkirkpatri: I totally creeped on your photo page. There's one that is driving me nuts! Where is IMG_2513_zpsba68fd53? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Post back up with the IMG url. I don't really want to scroll through all my photos to find 2513. Just post it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member

This is in the Old Timer's network of trails. There's a plank section that straddles the small dip in the trail. It's on the same trail as where the long covered "boardwalk" section is that Hardcore put in about three years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ha! that's totally it. Been a while but it looked so familiar.

mtbr member
    I saw so many riders out today. Bumped into a big group ride at the south end of caddytrack, but I also saw at least another 30 people riding as 1s, 2s or 3s. I can't really remember the last time I've had to follow people on the trail, but today it was happening constantly.

Converted my 26er to singlespeed a few weeks ago, so I've now got no geared bikes. It's a lot different from my ss 29er - geared lower, hardtail, normal bar - and it's really fun. I didn't ride it much this year, but since switching it over it's been seeing a lot of use.

Edited to add: the city has finished the storm drain work near Keillor, so those trails are all open again.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member

Mtb is becoming more and more popular in Edmonton and that is because of our river valley and plentiful network of singletrack. Notice more people riding decent bikes aswell and I think that is because our strong economy in Alberta allowing people to go beyond Walmart to buy a bike. Better bike means more motivation for people to ride more frequent and longer thus increase in riders out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How much value or additional traffic will wood structures bring to a trail? I'm contemplating the time, $ and effort involved in doing major renos to the Patricia ravine trail. It's hard to judge the usage of the trail - I don't see a lot of riders on it but that doesn't mean it doesn't get lots of traffic. I'm not talking about the trail improvements and upkeep that I make on it - i'm talking about the old ass long wooden bridge that has totally fallen into disuse and the bypass structure on its west side. Pretty sure I'll replace the bypass but the long bridge is a different story. I'm personally not drawn to trails with structures any more than a regular trail.

mtbr member
    No appeal to me. That area that you're referring to does get ridden a fair amount, though. If you do anything, I'd coordinate it with the City and EMBA first.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edmon...21375007919645

mtbr member
    That bridge really needs to come down, and I'm sure with a bit of shovel work you'd be able to ramp in and out of that gully with out any woodwork. (by 'a bit' I mean, getting a crew of volunteers out for an afternoon, plus you'd need to haul out the old woodwork) I should stop next time I'm through to get an idea of what could / should be done.

The best bet would be talking to EMBA with a plan, and getting the word out to the bike clubs for a trail day, either late season or next spring. Spring is tricky though, as that trail is one of the last to dry out, and once things dry out, trail days focus on trimming back trails and sight lines.

The trail sees a bit less traffic than others because of it's difficulty level, but is also a favorite of many of the more experienced riders.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of trail structures because you have to be able to trust them, and that's tough around here. I guess that I've learned to trust the ones on a-bomb/oldtimers/skyline (even if skyline lost a board earlier this year), but I ride those trails a fair bit. I only head out to Patricia once or maybe twice a month, so if there was a big new bridge it would take me awhile to not be suspicious. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll probably take the bridge down myself - it's a very short walk from where I live and I spend a lot of time in the ravine. My girls will be sad to see it go as it's a very memorable part of that trail for them but it's really sketchy even to walk on. I don't see any need for a replacement path that ramps up and down for the bridge - the bypass is very well established. I solo the trim backs and sight lines (not as much on the sight lines), re-worked/created/opened the new extension (apx 3yrs ago) that goes straight west of the old drop down to the paved path but the whole thing is a very long trail for one person to maintain at a high level. I like it to remain as wild and clean as possible. Last year someone was in there did a bit of trail grading and clearing and made a colossal mess. An organized EMBA clean up day is a great idea. I usually only work on the high north bank trail behind the houses from the river to the paved path.

I just checked out that EMBA link - i'm going to consider getting involved - I'd never really heard of it before. thx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    ^ I actually rode through there on Sunday and it's a very good detour. It needs a few bikes to go through and pack it down more, but it's nice to be able to ride through the old washout area versus walking the plank! Thanks for doing this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll be sure to check that out this weekend, props to who ever did it if its a good fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not sure when this re-route was cut originally but yesterday it was buffed up substantially and now rides really well.

mtbr member

Edmonton Fall/Winter thread has been started... Let's give this thread a sayounara. (Goodbye)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456