Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    ^ I forgot to mention that Bikeworks South had their grand reopening last saturday in the new shop at 8001 102 St.

And also, June is bikemonth, so Bikeology Festival ยท Bike Month, June 2014: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. has a bunch of stuff going on all month (although it seems like fewer things than in previous years)
    Last edited by newfangled; 05-31-2014 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I forgot to mention that Bikeworks South had their grand reopening last saturday in the new shop at 8001 102 St.
    Excellent. I have a bunch of stuff for donating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Saw this the strava heatmap on another thread: Strava Global Heatmap
    Thanks for this - this will help me find some new trails. Most of them I know now, but I can some that I haven't been on before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I joined mostly just to ask this question. Is there a map or maps that display where the single track mountain bike trails around edmonton are? trails like bobsled, wonder woman, etc. I'm not from here and go by myself most the time. Its hard to find these trails based on word of mouth. Somebody posted this https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...00371,0.004823 which was extremely helpful and helped me find that trail. I just wish there were more maps like this. If I can get instructions on how to get to the trails in Edmonton I would be happy to pin point them like that guy did and put them all in one place to make it easy for others like me. Pictures can even be linked to the entrances for both winter and summer to make it super easy.

I have seen the strava map but its not very helpful to me since it includes all trails. Please share any resources that you have. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's really not that hard to find trails, but it takes a bit of going out and searching. I once too didn't know any of the single track, and this was the time before smartphones/gps and group rides. The way I've found things is to just look off in to the bushes from the multi-use trail, and find it. Sometimes you'll end up in a hobo trail, or in a dead end, but sometimes you find gold. With the aid of a smartphone/gps and going on group rides, its probably the best way to find stuff now.

mtbr member
    The best way to find new trails is to join up with a bike club and get out on some group rides. There are some pretty groovy trails that you really need to know a thing or two to find.

Cambodia was a little sloppy in places, especially some of the climbs heading west. There's been some pretty bad erosion / slumping above the dirt jumps in lower ewok. The two steeper descents into that area are both pretty sketchy now. It looks like the bridge fairies are about to put some new stuff into old timers, and a new bridge fairy built a sketchy A-frame over the tree in Gnomes Trail. It's not too bad riding east to west, but in reverse it's pretty steep and off camber. I don't think any of the interclub ride made it over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G1ngerBear View Post
    I joined mostly just to ask this question. Is there a map or maps that display where the single track mountain bike trails around edmonton are? trails like bobsled, wonder woman, etc. I'm not from here and go by myself most the time. Its hard to find these trails based on word of mouth. Somebody posted this https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...00371,0.004823 which was extremely helpful and helped me find that trail. I just wish there were more maps like this. If I can get instructions on how to get to the trails in Edmonton I would be happy to pin point them like that guy did and put them all in one place to make it easy for others like me. Pictures can even be linked to the entrances for both winter and summer to make it super easy.

I have seen the strava map but its not very helpful to me since it includes all trails. Please share any resources that you have. Thanks!

Edmonton's trails are pretty dynamic. With all the erosion we have with our annual monsoon seasons, the trails see some significant changes during the course of a summer or two. The main staple trails are fairly static, and relatively easy to find, but all the newer trails that pop up to circumvent old washed out trails, etc, are a bit harder to find. That's where a club comes in handy as you have a collective of a bunch of explorers who have first hand knowledge of the river valley.

I'm still surprised to see myself on new trails with the club rides that I didn't know existed. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable of the river valley, but the benefit of a club for finding new trails can't be ignored.

A few years back there was a local trail book that River Valley Cycle had (and other shops I'm sure). The problem with these books is that they get outdated so quickly. The book itself was a series of hand drawn maps, so if you didn't know the river valley, it was a bit of a crap shot if you could actually find these trails.

If I start bringing my camera I can start posting up some entrances to some of the single track trails with a bit of a reference point in those pictures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I will certainly look into a bike club. That sounds like a good time. Thanks for the tip. I used to group ride in B.C. but they all worked at local bike shops and eventually the group got a little too skilled for me and all bought high end bikes so I started going with friends instead.

I'm going to start recording the GPS locations of the trail heads and tails and taking pictures of the entrances and any signage that is up. That way I can put together a trail map with google map maker. With that people can submit edits or additions. We can update trail conditions and closures. Have pictures, and special details like: wear bells, damage to builds, erosion, don't ride wet, etc.

If nobody wants to pitch in its all good but I'd be happy to take any contributions. Once its complete I'll share it with websites with connections to local riding. Here, EBC, Pink Bike, Local Shops, etc. It will be easy to pop it up on your phone, etc. to check details before hitting the trail so that everyone is in the know and stays safe.

If anyone wants to send me info my email is Barry_Hyslop@hotmail.com You can easily get GPS co-ordinance with your smart phone by standing at the trail head and tail and checking your map application. Please send me the name of the trail if you do send me info.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Terwillegar Park Footbridge :: City of Edmonton

City of Edmonton survey on Terwillegar Park/Oleskiw trail routings. Takes about 10-15 minutes to have your voice heard!

mtbr member
    ^ good stuff. It sounds like the City hadn't really considered the Option 5 trail through the meadow, and were surprised that some people wanted it. To me that seems like a no-brainer - provide a direct, high-speed route for commuting, and leave the singletrack for everyone else.

mtbr member
    Cambodia last night was very slippery on the slope edges. The rolling single track areas were all good. Pot Luck and Poggie was a bit greasy, but nothing too crazy. Science Park trails were all dry and in great shape.

mtbr member
    I know it's summer when I finally take the emergency chemical finger/toe warmers out of my toolpack, and replace them with the emergency deepwoods off. I didn't have problems on the weekend, but today at lunch and after work they were swarming just because I'd slowed down to climb a hill.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Rode Canada Cup -> Old Timers -> Ewok -> Cadillac and return last night (before the rain). Trails were in near perfect condition with a few dry-ish mud holes in the usual spots. Couple of trees down on the trail across from the paddleboat with the small wooden bridge.

Mid-Ewok has some crazy new slide action - starting from the big mudslide on the doubletrack to about 200m further East, there are large cracks in the mud, and some resulting soft sections from the disturbed earth. It's nothing that will really impact your ride, but it sure makes it look like a giant section of the valley is going to tumble in the river in the next 50 years.

mtbr member
    Rode Terwilliger Park to the Science Centre.

Trail conditions - Terwilliger Park, good. Some mud from the Henday to the park, but nothing major. Patricia Ravine/Wolf Willow - skipped, but the one trail that was done was a bit greasy. Whitemud Equine Center - stuck to the lower path by the river and it was in excellent shape, but some of the trail is eroding away pretty good. Trail all the way to the Hawerlak bridge was good.

Mikinon Ravine and dog park area on other side of Hawerlak - all good. Kinsmen area - all good. Mill Creek - skipped, but Mill Creek is one of the last spots to dry up so you know it's still going to be greasy in there. Mid Ewok - good with some mud spots. Trail that goes right along the river before the Ewok entrance, running parallel to the paved path and 98 avenue will be gone this year. Large sections have land slide cracks and land movement. Lots of the trail is going to wash into the river. Ride it before it's gone!

Dawson Park area - all good, not too much mud or water either. Sometimes these trails take a while to clear out, but they were in pretty good shape considering our weather for the past week. A Bomb or Andre's Trail just after Capilano bridge - greasy, but in all fairness, had a torrential down pour for a good ten minutes that we hid from under Capilano bridge. Probably all dry by tomorrow.

Cambodia - all good except for one greasy section on the steep climb along the embankment. Did not do Wally, Pogie, or Pot Luck, but some guys that did said it was pretty muddy. Science Park trails - all good, but not surprising as these trails here dry up pretty fast given how much rock is in the trails versus mud and clay.

mtbr member
    jkirkpatri, did you do that as a loop? How long does it take? I swear that would take me 6 hours or more.

I got out down to goldbar and back, and things were in nice shape. Birdhouse was the only thing in bad shape, and I skipped lower ewok because I figured it would be the same. That new slide-action of middle ewok is kindof crazy. And that sketchy, new a-frame off of sask drive & 90ave (Gnome's trail?) has been torn out.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Can someone describe to me where the Ewok trails are? Is it the section of riverbank between Rowland Road and 98th?

I did Pogey today and it was alright. There were some really muddy chunks and the trail was a little slick, but it was certainly rideable. The Science Park was really nice, as was Cambodia (a little slick in some spots), whatever trail is between Goldbar and Wayne Gretzky Dr. and, A-Bomb. The single track on the north side of the river just down from Ada is dry and wonderful.

mtbr member
    ^ ewok is below Mcnally highschool, between the dawson bridge and 98ave. It's the stuff in the centre of: Strava Global Heatmap - Ewok Area

mtbr member
    jkirkpatri, did you do that as a loop? How long does it take? I swear that would take me 6 hours or more.
    This was only a end to end run. Sometime this summer I'll do it as a loop. Not by myself, but with sherijumper again. The lone biker: Two Bridges Shy

Hardcore's first trail maintenance day was today. New ladder bridge at the end of west coast trail, old timer's cabin area cut back, skyline cut back and replaced a missing board in the ladder bridge that gaps the washed out span. I think some work was done on Gnomes trail, but I'm not sure what was done with the A frame area. Just more of a general clear out.

mtbr member
    On Gnomes the 'new' A frame over the downed tree was broken up when we got there. We were going to try and put some shingles on it to see if we could make it ridable, but no dice. So we took the tree out. There was a low hanging tree down near the top of the hill at the east entrance, so we turned that into a log bridge that rides pretty smoothly.

Also cleaned up the downed trees around Walterdale, and it looks like someone unaffiliated with the Hardcore trail day cleaned up the downed trees near the A-frame south of the River Queen.

mtbr member
    Fat bikes a big hit with cyclists feeling the pain of Edmonton?s rough terrain (with video)

Is anyone riding their fatbikes? In the winter I was probably seeing almost one a day, but in the last two months I think I've only seen one, period.

mtbr member
    I'll see one out every now and then. Most of them are United guys though, maybe they've got a little group think going on. With all the rain lately, they'd be a good choice to get some trail riding in with out doing too much damage to the soft trails.

mtbr member
    I have no plans on riding mine when there's no snow. My thoughts are that if I use my fat bike only for winter riding, I should get years and years out of it as the wear and tear is minimal. If I start riding in the summer, dirt, mud, etc will wear out my drivetrain and tires quicker. Replacing tires on these bikes is freaking insanely expensive. I took the fat bike out earlier on this year on one ride that was half snow, have MUT, and yes, crazy traction on the MUT, but not worth it from my perspective.

If I didn't already have a mountain bike to ride in the summer, than I would ride my fatbike.

Fat bikes a big hit with cyclists feeling the pain of Edmonton?s rough terrain (with video)

Is anyone riding their fatbikes? In the winter I was probably seeing almost one a day, but in the last two months I think I've only seen one, period.

mtbr member
    ^ I hadn't thought about the tire wear, but that's a pretty good reason.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I ride my fattie to work a few times just to see what it would be like... I wouldn't mind getting some beach action with it... but beach + alberta? Ya...

As for trails in the summer? I'll stick with my FS for now. Much more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Trail Care tonight if anyone wants to pitch in. 6:15 at Mill Creek Outdoor pool upper parking lot.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast