Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah the garbage in the river valley associated with the homeless camps is ridiculous this year, no idea why.

Best idea is to call 311 with the location of the camps. Not sure if anything will get done but I would like to hope so. Kind of hard for volunteers to go in there to clean up when they might be faced with an angry resident.

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Peace Officers or EPS handing out citations and repeat offenders get brought to remand centre is a start - besides the new remand is huge there's no need to set up camp in river valley when remand has nice cozy beds and hot showers.

mtbr member
    Ride report from last night's group ride: Old Timers, Kinsmen, Kiellor Road area, McKinnon ravine are all good. Hardly any mud and no standing water puddles that I saw. Trails were in great shape, weather, not so much

mtbr member
    ya i got rained on pretty good last night. But trails were in pretty good condition.

The gravel train between emily murphy and kinsmen on the south side still has patches of snow/ice.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just signed up so I could post especially in this thread!

I've been riding Cambodia since last Tuesday, it's in pretty good shape with a couple inundated low spots (I've just been picking my bike up and walking around them to avoid rutting the place up). The trail between Cambodia and the Rundle Park bridge is pretty iffy though. Cadillac and A-Bomb(?) have been great and there's some single track that runs in between Goldbar and Wayne Gretzky drive that was a little rutted but generally in pretty good condition. On the north side of the river the single track in Kinnaird Park is dry and suuuuper fast.

2014 is shaping up to be pretty great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
    ...and there's some single track that runs in between Goldbar and Wayne Gretzky drive that was a little rutted but generally in pretty good condition.
    Oh wise group riders, does that 2-part trail have an "official" name?

This morning I saw the new Victoria Secret sign that's up at the east end of the trail near the stairs. Nicely done, EMBA (presumably?)

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if that one has a name.
    The Dirt Girls have all their signs up, they look pretty awesome! They're usually up moderately high and a few yards into the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I saw the sign for Bobsled and then proceeded to get totally hammered as I tried to keep up with the Revo guys on their group ride. It was my first time riding the McKinnon ravine trails. I had no idea how intense some of them would be. I definitely bottomed out my fork for the first time (and second and third...).

mtbr member
    I was out for a short ride today, and I have to say that those signs are a great addition. They've even put them on trails I'd never have thought of naming - purple haze and wonder woman by the museum, and crazy maria and coaster in mckinnon?

It means I'm going to have to ride millcreek again. Whenever I go exploring in there it seems like 3/4 of the singletrack deadends, and it gets worse every year. So it'll be nice to have a way to know what other people are actually riding.

mtbr member

I agree. Millcreek does definitely need some work as lots of trails that use to be awesome kinda eroded away especially trails near 76 ave there's a single track that's become impassable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Purple Haze? I saw that tonight. Kind of funny. I appreciate all the work that is being put into the signs. Who is doing that?

BTW which one is Wonder Woman?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
    BTW which one is Wonder Woman?
    Just west of the museum parking lot there's a drop in, and a short, twisty trail that leads down to the mup. It's short enough that I'd barely consider it a trail, but having those little trails signed is nice because at least it lets people know that "yes, this actually goes somewhere."

mtbr member

Hopefully with the new signage of trails it will lead to development of more single track trails so the entire river valley becomes a maze of trails .

mtbr member
    The city doesn't like us building new trails. So it'll be interesting to see what happens with the plans for a new single track to replace the golf course trail. (I guess we can't call it roller coaster anymore, since that's the east bobsled drop in!)

Some kind soul took out most of the trees on back breaker. There's just one left at the end.

EMBA is spear heading the trail signage, along with the club who's responsible for each area. The Dirt Girls got all the McKinnon / Victoria's Secret signs up. I -think- they're the only club with signs up so far, although the crews that do Cambodia and the Refinery trails have had signs up out there for a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode many of the trails in the west end yesterday. Trails are in excellent shape. The roller coaster in Terwillegar is as a good as it was last fall, no muddy bottoms at all. Some of the best spring riding I've seen in years.

mtbr member
    The top of Victoria's secret is completely fenced off now, no way to get out with out some serious bush whacking. So you've got to commit to the museum trails for their own sake now.

There were 25 people doing laps of Pogey / Pot luck on Saturday afternoon, a mix of small groups, the largest being maybe 8.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    There were 25 people doing laps of Pogey / Pot luck on Saturday afternoon, a mix of small groups, the largest being maybe 8.
    Which trails are these?

mtbr member
    The green trails in the image in this post.
    Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ah yes. Forgot those had signs up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well Congrats to any of you locals and non locals that raced out at Terwilligar this weekend. The lack of rain lately kept the trails in nice shape for sure.

mtbr member
    Race today was great! We (sport class) got some rain that turned the course pretty slick in spots. Legs covered in mud at the end of the race. Course was very good and flowed really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I raced sport as well. The rain did slick up the course a little during the second lap, but I did appreciated the cool off it brought. I had no idea that Terwilligar had such great trails. I'll definitely be ridding there more in the future. I was talking with a couple from Calgary in the parking lot after the race. They were also quite impressed that we have such great trails right within Edmonton. It doesn't sound like they have similar down south.

mtbr member
    ^Riding Terwilliger at night in the autumn is pretty nice. Cool temperatures, no dog walkers, lots of rabbits.

Agreed on the cooler temperatures with the rain. That was a god send. The only sections I found slick were the first half of the loop. Some of the sections down in the trees were clay and were pretty slick. The trails on the second half of the loop up in the trees and on the hillside were sheltered pretty good, so they didn't seem as slick.

All the results here if anybody is interested: Alberta Bicycle Association | Registration

mtbr member
    I was out of town for the last week and a bit, but managed to get one good ride in yesterday before what is apparently going to be a week of rain. It was so nice to see that the garbage has been cleaned up - I don't know if that was the volunteers from River Valley Cleanup, or if the city crews had to step in, but the dirty mattress and royal glenora camps are gone basically without a trace.

Saw this the strava heatmap on another thread: Strava Global Heatmap

mtbr member
    Early am ride from Mill Creek to science park. Surprisingly, ST in mid ewok and all of science park is good! Mill Creek ST greasy, and Pot Luck section greasy and a bit nerve wracking. Did not do Cambodia as likely greasy as well.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast