Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    the mactaggart sanctuary has some pretty fun/crazy trails. Who knew... Hard to find but well built trails.

On another note, the mosquitoes as bad. real bad. I would hate to get a flat in the middle of the bush these days.

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Yes the mosquitoes along with the humidity are really irritating. I did not enjoy my ride tonight.

mtbr member
    Autumn has snuck into the river valley. Lots of leaves down, very noticeable in the trails by the zoo.

mtbr member
    Bugs weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting today. Was in terwillegar with the dog, and had no problems. Then went for a ride through university/canadacup/millcreek, and was really only bothered when I stopped to make some adjustments in millcreek. After a really terrible week, I swear that their population started to plummet again on friday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Can't say I agree, I was swarmed again late afternoon/this evening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Bugs weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting today....
    I noticed this as well on my Friday ride. Bad, but not as bad as before.

mtbr member

It was bad tonite and saturating your skin with deet can't be good. And almost fell off that wooden plank thing in Cambodia. Mosquitoes downed bridges, missing wooden planks what's this world coming to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I noticed this as well on my Friday ride. Bad, but not as bad as before.
    And now it's the worst it's been all year. Crazy mosquitoes and spray didn't help much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Is Whitemud Park (Fox Drive south to 23rd Ave) still technically no bicycles? If so does anyone know why?

mtbr member
    Whitemud Creek is off limits to bikes. Has been for a long time. I think the reasoning is because it's a designated equine trail system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you for the reply!
    Do you know about the area around Snow Valley Ski Hill? I have never been over there and have a friend that wants to come for a ride and it would be convenient to meet there and head towards the river valley but the city map shows no bicycles on those trails?

mtbr member

Snow valley area is essentially where you were referring to. No bikes cause it's a nature sanctuary where bird watchers hang out and get pissed off when your squeaky suspension blows by and scares all birds away. I use to not give a **** and ride through there all the time but since I ve joined the church of group rides they ridded all my sins in exchange for legal singletrack around the city. The no bikes rule in the whitemud ravine has really crippled the ability to join trails north to south w/o riding pavement. From what I understand mtb advocate groups have given up their fight for access to these trails in exchange for permittance of mtb in all other areas of the river valley. Give n take situation, however from my experience of the trails in whitemud park they are really prime.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 08-20-2014 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome info, thanks for the reply.

It is not a big deal we can meet somewhere else, I would not want to disturb the bird watchers

mtbr member
    Got out last night with Gord962 and sherijumper. Rode Old Timer's Cabin to the Science Park and back on the south side of the river. All trails were in primo shape and there is definite leaf coverage starting on some of the trails. Portaging is now a double billed event from Gold Bar to the Science Park due to the pump station washout and hooligans dismantling the main ladder bridge across a creek run off immediately after going into the trail system when leaving Gold Bar park.

Mosquitos were HORRIBLE in Cambodia area, all other areas were manageable.

Starting to get dark in the trails now too around 8:30ish. Got home around 9pm and my last Mill Creek single track was dark enough to warrant the use of lights, not that I had any lights on me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Got out last night with Gord962 and sherijumper. Rode Old Timer's Cabin to the Science Park and back on the south side of the river. All trails were in primo shape and there is definite leaf coverage starting on some of the trails. Portaging is now a double billed event from Gold Bar to the Science Park due to the pump station washout and hooligans dismantling the main ladder bridge across a creek run off immediately after going into the trail system when leaving Gold Bar park.

Mosquitos were HORRIBLE in Cambodia area, all other areas were manageable.

Starting to get dark in the trails now too around 8:30ish. Got home around 9pm and my last Mill Creek single track was dark enough to warrant the use of lights, not that I had any lights on me.

Was just gunna ask how mosquitoes were in this area lol.

Thanks for the update

mtbr member

Fort Sask ride today, trails excellently maintained, ladder bridge galore, perfect conditions, NO mosquitoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Snow Valley to 23rd Ave was so much fun back in my jr high and high school days.. then they prohibited bikes from entering and set up a sanctuary. I miss those days..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Snow valley area is essentially where you were referring to. No bikes cause it's a nature sanctuary where bird watchers hang out and get pissed off when your squeaky suspension blows by and scares all birds away. I use to not give a **** and ride through there all the time but since I ve joined the church of group rides they ridded all my sins in exchange for legal singletrack around the city. The no bikes rule in the whitemud ravine has really crippled the ability to join trails north to south w/o riding pavement. From what I understand mtb advocate groups have given up their fight for access to these trails in exchange for permittance of mtb in all other areas of the river valley. Give n take situation, however from my experience of the trails in whitemud park they are really prime.
    There's actually some decent singletrack that starts at Rainbow Valley and goes north to Fox Drive. It starts on the east side of the creek near the Snow Valley parking lot and climbs the ravine and follows edge of the University farm into Grandview and ends with a high speed downhill down a gravel MUT.
    The single track along the University Farm is fun because the vegetation is has high as your waist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-rainbow-valley.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    About 20 years ago my buddy and I rode up the frozen Whitemud Creek from the river to quite a ways south of 23rd Ave. I would consider doing that again on my fat bike this winter but it is a shame those trails are off limits for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by feepa View Post
    This is the trail head here. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5112...TpiW9G14OA!2e0

You can ride it the other direction, but it flows better when started from here,you pass by the stairs and then later the half paved half gravel path and then down the rest of patricia ravine.
    I'd suggest continuing down the paved trail and starting at the dip in the path. I cleaned this section of the trail extensively early this season. Take the trail past the stairs - once you reach the paved trail head uphill about a minute and you will see an opening on your left (south bank - i created this one and work on it). Get on that and ride the high trail almost all the way to the river (5-10 mins). Find the left descent, head out to the left and then drop back into the single track from the gravel switchback. This will get you to the bottom of the big stairwell nearish to the Ft Ed walking bridge.

There is also some stuff on the north side right at the river (going north east) but it needs work.

I've done a ton of cleanup and maintenance work in Patricia Ravine over the last couple of years including the new trail section of the high trail that connects to the upper end of the mid-ravine paved path. It's good to see people talking about this area!
    Last edited by Fejjo; 09-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This bridge? Pictures from last weekend.

Fenced off slump area by the pump station:

So are we going to go fix this or what?
    I am in. I just need to know when.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Construction / closures: the descent accesses into the trails east of the new bridge landing in terwillegar are all closed. Ignoring and bypassing the initial fences and riding on will only lead you to more fences in the trees.

The single track running north of the Keilor road pilings has a new semi-snowfenced off section (at the manhole trail) as the bobcats have moved in to do some work.

Any reports on the trail south of the henday on the west bank? I did multiple trips in there last year cutting back stuff, removing rose bushes, etc, chainsaw trips - cleaned beyond the bank traverse to the giant downed poplar tree. I'd love to connect this all the way to Big Island one day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    Any reports on the trail south of the henday on the west bank? I did multiple trips in there last year cutting back stuff, removing rose bushes, etc, chainsaw trips - cleaned beyond the bank traverse to the giant downed poplar tree. I'd love to connect this all the way to Big Island one day.
    I road breathless about a month ago, and it was in pretty fair shape. The last 500m before the giant downed trees are pretty grown in, but the rest of it was clear.

With Firemans closed and the golf course trail to be closed, breathless is a long way away from other trails, so it's likely to only see local traffic for the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    and the golf course trail to be closed,
    closed/and never to be seen again in the same wonderful flowy awesomeness that it is.

*pours beer on ground*
    Taps - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    here's the golfcourse/roller coaster trail from a fatbike ride last winter.

Edmonton Fatbike Ride - Feb. 17, 2014 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Why is the rollercoaster trail going to be closed? Is the City doing something to the trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Being turned into leveled gravel MUT to connect with the paved trail under the henday.

There will be a new single track built, but i have my doubts as to how good it will be.

The existing roller coaster is one of my fav trails. It flows so well you barely need to pedal or brake, just stand on your pedals and let the sweet flow, flow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking around on more things on the city website, I found this... the River Valley Alliance 2012-2016 plan. If you look at the area between goldbar and science park, they have "future trail" marked on the map... I hope they aren't planning on messing with the good trails back there too.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...roject_Map.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm always irked by losing trails but I understand the need to access and progress. What does bother me more is the idea that the river valley needs trails on both sides heading out of town or pointless MUT access like what the cambodia area would be. The Science park has totally fallen into disuse and creating extra access to it means nothing to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone have any advice/preferences/things to look out for when getting a 'cross? Considering the SPecialized Crux Evo elite (i know about the brake recall) but looking for opinions as I have no experience to form my own. Looking to stay around 2G ish including sales prices....

mtbr member
    Anyone have any advice/preferences/things to look out for when getting a 'cross? Considering the SPecialized Crux Evo elite (i know about the brake recall) but looking for opinions as I have no experience to form my own. Looking to stay around 2G ish including sales prices....
    The top tube/seat tube interface decoupler on the Trek series is nice. My Domane has it and it really smooths things out. Other than that, I have nothing else to add as I'm not a cross expert by any means.

mtbr member
    The Iso-speed (boone) would likely be over his budget. The frame alone runs around $2k.

It's -really- hard to beat the value of the Foundry bikes. (Harrow and Auger) They should be updating their website with the 2015 models any time now.

Things to consider (outside of geometry which will vary for each individual)

Brakes. Rim brakes work OK. Mechanical disks are available, but not super high quality. Hydraulic road brakes don't have the economy of scale going for them yet, and are relatively expensive. Hopefully next year we'll have something equivalent to a mountain XT brake. Powerful, reliable, and inexpensive. But that doesn't exist right now.

Through axles. Nice for stiffness, and helpful for keeping brake rotors lined up, but generally a bit more expensive, and not offered on many models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Last week I witnessed a nasty head-on collision (One rider had his carbon bar snap and suffered a deep contusion just above the eyebrow the other walked away with scrapes /bruises) on the popular 2-way trial near the Edmonton Queen. I have heard lots of stories and close calls of this trail being dangerous for head-ons. Any ideas on how we can make this trail safer aside from more bell ringing etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    Last week I witnessed a nasty head-on collision (One rider had his carbon bar snap and suffered a deep contusion just above the eyebrow the other walked away with scrapes /bruises) on the popular 2-way trial near the Edmonton Queen. I have heard lots of stories and close calls of this trail being dangerous for head-ons. Any ideas on how we can make this trail safer aside from more bell ringing etc.
    Gord962 had a head on in the same area three weeks ago. Good thing that the trees stopped his fall to the river!

Not much can be done. It's tight and tree-congested. I've taken to avoiding the trail myself. The clearing required to open the sight lines (during the summer) is a lot of work. Once the leaves fall down and you can see through the trees, it'll be alright.

Short of yelling and using a bell, not much to be done. Yelling and a bell won't work if the other rider coming the opposite direction has ear buds in anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    if the other rider coming the opposite direction has ear buds in anyways.
    darwin will eventually take course... riding with ear buds or headphones of any type is silly and dangerous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I picked a Foundry Harrow for my wife this year. Very nice with the 15mm through axle on the front. Beyond the 2k price point though.

I ended up putting down a deposit on a 2015 Norco Threshold. I think disc brakes are the best for my application and the 2015 Norco is the only cross bike I could find that has through axles front/rear which is kind of cool. They have a range of frame materials and parts specs and you should be able to find one easily for 2K.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    budget couldn't get me into a carbon frame and Revo didnt have the one i wanted in my size. Ended up with a Crux E5 Sport. gonna be funz!

Any word on the cambodia slide at the fence?

mtbr member
    budget couldn't get me into a carbon frame and Revo didnt have the one i wanted in my size. Ended up with a Crux E5 Sport. gonna be funz!

Any word on the cambodia slide at the fence?
    I haven't been back there in about a month. Hopefully somebody has and can fill us in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode by this weekend before the turn in weather. The fence is gone, but the slide is still there. You can get through by walking your bike over and hanging on to the fence ( better if two people are there, then you can pass your bike over the slide area)

mtbr member
    I scooted through last night. The fence has just been pushed aside. I'm not sure how far I'd trust the bit of overhanging bank there. On the other hand, the plank lower down is still pretty sketchy too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I preferred the overhanging bank, because at least you can hang on to the fence. That plank is sketchy as ....

mtbr member
    True, but riding the switchbacks on the east side is so much fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Had a head on in the same place last summer. Unfortunately it's not just that trail. There seems to be so many more riders on the trails than there used to be close calls are inevitable. Had a close one on caddytrack and another comming up the technical hill to McNally. I ring my bell approaching single track climbs and ride with my head up. Several cases I've just gotten off the trail as the other rider whizzes past.

mtbr member
    These head-ons are on the trail between the boat and the lowlevel? Are they at the southend by the bridge (which does have really bad sightlines) or in the middle?

There are so many riders without helmets this year. I've got zero interest if people don't wear them on the roads (magic forcefield styrofoam isn't much good against cars) but it's pretty dumb if you're on the trails.

mtbr member

After an afternoon of sweat labor an extension to what is known as the Gnome trail has be cut. If you are heading west the trail now extends further so you drop down past the washrooms near the road entrance to QE park off QE park road.

rides with camera
    Thank you for helping do this, will try and sample tomorrow if I head that way.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Pictures of trail work

Here are some pictures from the trail maintenance day.
    Sorry. I forgot to snap some of the new trail.

Near old timers/skyline
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-2014-09-14-13.36.28.jpg
    Skyline (the fight against the slumping bank rages on...)
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-2014-09-14-13.48.53.jpg
    Emily Murphy Park
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-2014-09-14-15.50.29.jpg
    Emily Murphy Park
    Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014-2014-09-14-16.13.40.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    These head-ons are on the trail between the boat and the lowlevel? Are they at the southend by the bridge (which does have really bad sightlines) or in the middle?

There are so many riders without helmets this year. I've got zero interest if people don't wear them on the roads (magic forcefield styrofoam isn't much good against cars) but it's pretty dumb if you're on the trails.
    Yup, section right by the bridge. It's that first sweeping corner. The other bad spot would be the little dip in the middle of the trail where you dip down and turn right away.

Gord962 had his head on at the first sweeping corner. We were riding westbound and about to come out by the bridge and the other rider had just dropped in from the bridge and was heading eastbound. The ironic thing is that we were literally just talking about the risk of a head on as we were riding the trail, and thirty seconds later - BAM!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cambodia is still out, but the plank over the creek was holding strong when I walked over it! Vandals smashed out a bunch of the planks over the creek bridge near the exit of the trail too (if you're heading east-west). At any rate, the trails themselves are perfect right now. Not too dusty but certainly not slippery. Going fast has never been so rewarding.

mtbr member

Difficult to understand the mind of a vandal.. to have nothing better to do than pull planks out of an otherwise functional bridge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here are some pictures from the trail maintenance day.
    Sorry. I forgot to snap some of the new trail.

Near old timers/skyline
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-09-14 13.36.28.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	923668
    Skyline (the fight against the slumping bank rages on...)

Name:	2014-09-14 13.48.53.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	923669
    Emily Murphy Park

Name:	2014-09-14 15.50.29.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	923670
    Emily Murphy Park

Name:	2014-09-14 16.13.40.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	923671
    SWEET. Thx goes out for the work done!

mtbr member
    The plank across the creek in Cambodia is starting to slip and twist on the east bank. Looked much sketchier than normal so we used the fence instead, but there were 2 of us to toss bikes across.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have been adding some Edmonton content to trailforks.

Check it out.
    Edmonton Biking Trails | Trailforks

mtbr member
    I have been adding some Edmonton content to trailforks.

Check it out.
    Edmonton Biking Trails | Trailforks
    This is freaking awesome! Hopefully more gets added by other local riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I will try to add to this, especially over the winter. I've been looking for a good place to do this - hopefully others will too.

mtbr member
    Wow, that site is great. Especially with the videos and everything. Every so often I check out bikepirate or whatever, but trailforks is so much easier to use.

mtbr member
    Trails were in great shape last night! Broken rear spoke cut my ride short, though.

mtbr member
    Got out last night with a friend and his new Farley 8. Conditions were great!

Farley handled everything with ease. No issues on traction on the rooty climbs, some skidding/traction issues on the bigger descents, and the fork performed without any issues. He was running around 7-8 psi in front and rear.

mtbr member
    Totally froze my toes today. Time to start layering up, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd hold off layering up for a few more days. today is an odd day in the forecast. Back in the mid teens....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    jkirkpatri: I totally creeped on your photo page. There's one that is driving me nuts! Where is IMG_2513_zpsba68fd53? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

mtbr member
    jkirkpatri: I totally creeped on your photo page. There's one that is driving me nuts! Where is IMG_2513_zpsba68fd53? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Post back up with the IMG url. I don't really want to scroll through all my photos to find 2513. Just post it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member

This is in the Old Timer's network of trails. There's a plank section that straddles the small dip in the trail. It's on the same trail as where the long covered "boardwalk" section is that Hardcore put in about three years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ha! that's totally it. Been a while but it looked so familiar.

mtbr member
    I saw so many riders out today. Bumped into a big group ride at the south end of caddytrack, but I also saw at least another 30 people riding as 1s, 2s or 3s. I can't really remember the last time I've had to follow people on the trail, but today it was happening constantly.

Converted my 26er to singlespeed a few weeks ago, so I've now got no geared bikes. It's a lot different from my ss 29er - geared lower, hardtail, normal bar - and it's really fun. I didn't ride it much this year, but since switching it over it's been seeing a lot of use.

Edited to add: the city has finished the storm drain work near Keillor, so those trails are all open again.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member

Mtb is becoming more and more popular in Edmonton and that is because of our river valley and plentiful network of singletrack. Notice more people riding decent bikes aswell and I think that is because our strong economy in Alberta allowing people to go beyond Walmart to buy a bike. Better bike means more motivation for people to ride more frequent and longer thus increase in riders out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How much value or additional traffic will wood structures bring to a trail? I'm contemplating the time, $ and effort involved in doing major renos to the Patricia ravine trail. It's hard to judge the usage of the trail - I don't see a lot of riders on it but that doesn't mean it doesn't get lots of traffic. I'm not talking about the trail improvements and upkeep that I make on it - i'm talking about the old ass long wooden bridge that has totally fallen into disuse and the bypass structure on its west side. Pretty sure I'll replace the bypass but the long bridge is a different story. I'm personally not drawn to trails with structures any more than a regular trail.

mtbr member
    No appeal to me. That area that you're referring to does get ridden a fair amount, though. If you do anything, I'd coordinate it with the City and EMBA first.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edmon...21375007919645

mtbr member
    That bridge really needs to come down, and I'm sure with a bit of shovel work you'd be able to ramp in and out of that gully with out any woodwork. (by 'a bit' I mean, getting a crew of volunteers out for an afternoon, plus you'd need to haul out the old woodwork) I should stop next time I'm through to get an idea of what could / should be done.

The best bet would be talking to EMBA with a plan, and getting the word out to the bike clubs for a trail day, either late season or next spring. Spring is tricky though, as that trail is one of the last to dry out, and once things dry out, trail days focus on trimming back trails and sight lines.

The trail sees a bit less traffic than others because of it's difficulty level, but is also a favorite of many of the more experienced riders.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of trail structures because you have to be able to trust them, and that's tough around here. I guess that I've learned to trust the ones on a-bomb/oldtimers/skyline (even if skyline lost a board earlier this year), but I ride those trails a fair bit. I only head out to Patricia once or maybe twice a month, so if there was a big new bridge it would take me awhile to not be suspicious. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll probably take the bridge down myself - it's a very short walk from where I live and I spend a lot of time in the ravine. My girls will be sad to see it go as it's a very memorable part of that trail for them but it's really sketchy even to walk on. I don't see any need for a replacement path that ramps up and down for the bridge - the bypass is very well established. I solo the trim backs and sight lines (not as much on the sight lines), re-worked/created/opened the new extension (apx 3yrs ago) that goes straight west of the old drop down to the paved path but the whole thing is a very long trail for one person to maintain at a high level. I like it to remain as wild and clean as possible. Last year someone was in there did a bit of trail grading and clearing and made a colossal mess. An organized EMBA clean up day is a great idea. I usually only work on the high north bank trail behind the houses from the river to the paved path.

I just checked out that EMBA link - i'm going to consider getting involved - I'd never really heard of it before. thx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    ^ I actually rode through there on Sunday and it's a very good detour. It needs a few bikes to go through and pack it down more, but it's nice to be able to ride through the old washout area versus walking the plank! Thanks for doing this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll be sure to check that out this weekend, props to who ever did it if its a good fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not sure when this re-route was cut originally but yesterday it was buffed up substantially and now rides really well.

mtbr member

Edmonton Fall/Winter thread has been started... Let's give this thread a sayounara. (Goodbye)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123