Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone been on the trail along the West side of Groat Rd up the ravine (roller coaster)? I was there today on my road bike and the south end is pretty much completely inaccessible without trespassing. I was hoping we could still drop in up there, but doesn't look good. From the bridge I could see orange fencing blocking off sections of the trail further north.

I'm sure access is still good at the north end, but haven't tried it yet. Also, anyone know what the city's plans are for the rehab of this area? Will they incorporate the trail into their bridge/landscape design?

mtbr member
    ^ at the northend of it the city has actually stuck a sign in the singletrack saying the trail is closed, but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Since the bridge is going to take 2 years I'm sure eventually someone (maybe just a dogwalker) will cut a new south entrance, but it'll be tricky since so much of it is blocked off at 102ave.

Speaking of dogwalking, I walked Victoria Secret today and it's in good shape. Not sure how many riders it will see while the bridge is closed, since it doesn't really connect to anything anymore.

mtbr member
    Upper and mid Ewok are all good. TNT is good. All trails on the north side of the river were good last night. All trails on the south side were good too. Went up to the pump house from Gold Bar park towards Cambodia and all was good. Pump house area was wet, so turned around as it'll just get worse the further you go in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How do you know trail names? Is there a map of this somewhere?

Rode north side of river from Leg to Rowland Road, then a bit on the north side. All seemed fairly dry save for a few minor muddy depressions.

Haven't found any really interesting terrain outside of the little 100 m stretch next to Irene Parlby Park in Rossdale.

mtbr member
    The easiest way to learn the trails (and trail names) is to join a bike club. The clubs have different names for different trails, but EMBA is working with the clubs to get signs up on the trails.

Victoria's secret is still a great way to get into (or out of) McKinnon, just drop in behind the museum.

We hit Old timers, the east Canada cup loop, Victoria's Secret, Root Canal and the top half of back breaker, and a bunch of the new fat bike trails in the dog parks. Everything was in great shape. The only place we found mud was Emily Murphy. The single track in there was still pretty wet, so we stuck to the multi use, which still has some snow.

I've been itching to go check out Cambodia (and tea cup etc). Good to know it's still wet. Hopefully it'll clear up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Did a quick ride around the equine centre at lunch. The area above it in the trees is in pretty good shape, and there's a bridge gap jump that I've never noticed before and will never, ever ride.

The riverside trail along the equine centre is in the worst conditions of anything I've ridden recently - really badly rutted in spots, and still really muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    ...and a bunch of the new fat bike trails in the dog parks.
    I'd been meaning to ask about this. Are "official" group rides using Buena Vista now? As far as I know this is still the city's stance.

My dog doesn't like bikes, so I take her there specifically because the area between the zoo and the pedestrian bridge is the only offleash park where it should be possible to avoid bikes. But I've been seeing plenty of groups of 3 or 5 riders going through the west side of the park.

mtbr member
    One of our riders called the city for clarification, and it's multi-use. The city has been planning to renovate / remove the old signs for a while.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...y_13092013.pdf shows the trails as multi-use.

Obviously it's still a dog park, so riders should be respectful of the dog walkers.

That bridge gap has been there for a while and is pretty dilapidated.

mtbr member
    ^ thanks, but that map still only shows the gravel freeway that's in the middleish of the park, and which is easy enough to avoid with a dog. It doesn't show anything on the west side of the park, even though there is singletrack there. And that's where I've been frequently seeing groups of bikes.

There's also this map which shows the trail heading north towards mckinnon as being no-bikes, but that can't be right since it's not even in the dogpark anymore.

Since the city has tried to pawn everything off on google their mapping has gone downhill.

mtbr member
    So the north end of the Groat Rollercoaster is blocked with a sign and snowfence, although there is the second entry just a little further down.

At the south end there's a series of snowfences. They start about 150' from the bridge, and then there's another just north of the ladderbridge, and another just south of it, and another one south of that. A new entry will be tough, because once you're north of the ladderbridge the trail and road are pretty far apart. Best bet will probably just be to drop down to the groat road mup since it's right there, or just skip it for a few years.

Only one homeless guy in there today, who was nice enough to tell me the trail was closed.

They were also doing some bobcat work right at the backup entry to Victoria Secret, but hopefully they're not making a mess of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ The Groat Road path next to the road is now closed until August. There are a series of signs in Glenora directing people to take Ramsay ravine trail (paved) or the "natural" trail that drops down on the east side of the museum to get down to the river valley.

mtbr member
    Duh, I should have figured that would happen. I must have even seen one of those big signs in govt house park, but turned up Ramsay ravine before I could read it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Im living in sherwood park right now and wondering if there are any good cross country trails around. preferably singletrack.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Your best bet is Sunridge. I haven't been out there yet to see how it's drying out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I really hope they take the Groat Rollercoaster trail into consideration when replanting the bridge area. That entry by the bridge on the south end was super fun to drop into, and a nice final push at the end of an already awesome trail. Kinda sucks that it's unrideable for the foreseeable future, but hopefully the fact that they are well aware of it means they'll restore it.

I always thought Victoria's Secret was the trail that started on the southeast side of that bridge (across from Original Joes) and curved back east along the victoria golf course? It is actually the one that heads west under the museum into Mackinnon?

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

The city seriously has to clean up the squatters setting up camp in the river valley trail system. It's become rampant and the trash is spilling out all over the place. If the city has already committed to dumping loads of money into the beautifying the river valley w building bridges etc I don't think enforcing some no camp laws would be to much to ask.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 04-30-2014 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I was wondering if anyone around here has reported the dirtymattress guy to the city? The garbage is bad enough, but the number of bikeparts in that area has exploded since he moved in. Just down from the camp there's a pile of wheels, and some niceish folding tires. EBC was saying that they've been hearing that bike thefts are up around the university, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got something to to with it. I've never done that before, but am thinking it might be time.

mtbr member
    I know there have been some complaints made to the city and the police. I don't know if there have been enough. I don't think they can just kick them out with out a pretty good reason, although it looks horrific. I can kind of understand the dirty matress one, as it's a bit out of the way, but the camp above the Glenora club is a little mind boggling. It seems to grow every week, again with bike parts all over the place right in the middle of a fairly high traffic area. It's too bad they're down on their luck, and there isn't a better system to help them out, or cleaner place for them to go.

Also, word is Cambodia is open now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got out for my first real extended ride of the season last night. Conditions were great overall, ran into quite a few groups out riding.
    What's the name of the trail on the south side of the river between Capilano bridge west to Riverside golf course? I've only been on it a half-dozen times but it's one of my new favourites. It was the only trail with any significant amount of mud.

mtbr member
    I think that's Cadillac, but it could be Rolling through Rowland. I always get the two mixed up. The skinny bridge that goes up and over the small chasm is the definite highlight of that trail! I prefer riding it east to west, but west to east is fun too.

mtbr member
    Cadillac is the west trail, north of the MUP. Once you drop in at the top of the Rowland bridge heading east, there's a bit of a bump up after the first descent. There's an old Cadillac rim on the tree there. It isn't really in your natural eye line riding the trail, but easy to see if you look for it.

The east trail, south of the MUP with the bridge has too many names, we've been calling it A-bomb. We'll see what EMBA calls it when the trail signs go up.

mtbr member
    I had today off, and went for a nice ride down to Cadillac and Rowland/A-bomb/etc. I'd actually only intended to go to skyline and back, but it was so nice that I just kept going. It seemed like everyone else had the day off too, because I saw a tonne of other bikes.

mtbr member
    Not a trail update, but a weather update so that when we're looking back on this year next year, or in 2016, we'll have a record. Saturday May 3rd, cold (near zero degrees for most of the day, but dry). Light snow on the ground Sunday am with light snow and sleet falling all day. Wet and crappy. Light snow on ground Monday am as well with heavy fog and drizzle in spots. Another wet and cold day.

mtbr member
    More fun with the Walterdale Bridge.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...p_10042014.pdf

They've got the MUP on the South East side of Queen Elizabeth closed, which means in order to cross East / West you've got to use the new sidewalk running along Queen Elizabeth, then zig zagging along onto the multi use.

The best way across is the old Brewery Trail, but that that's been slashed in preparation for a new MUP there, so you're zig zagging a bit between the slashed trail and the old trail. And I'll assume soon enough that'll be closed to construct that trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    More fun with the Walterdale Bridge.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...p_10042014.pdf

They've got the MUP on the South East side of Queen Elizabeth closed, which means in order to cross East / West you've got to use the new sidewalk running along Queen Elizabeth, then zig zagging along onto the multi use.

The best way across is the old Brewery Trail, but that that's been slashed in preparation for a new MUP there, so you're zig zagging a bit between the slashed trail and the old trail. And I'll assume soon enough that'll be closed to construct that trail.
    haven't been on here in a while.

But went for my first mtb ride in a while on saturday and did a few laps of the canada cup course (from a few years back) and the trails were in great shape. But ya it was tricky crossing. I was able to stay on the east side of the road and then cross over to the city of edmonton building and cut underneath it and get over to the east. But they may close that off too.

And ya, I looped all through the trails around old timers cabin and saw at least 6 different tent cities some of which had insane amounts of garbage.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast