Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    North side multis and single track pretty good. Some mud and water holes here and there in the single track on the north side trails from the Queen E to Gold Park. South side of the river has snow and lots of mud, so all paved paths taken on the loop back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was at Terwilleger on the Weekend, and It was pretty bad. Most of the large open walking paths are rid-able, but any of the single track is just muck.

mtbr member
    Went out at lunch hoping to try Keillor and the equine centre, but I gave up pretty quickly. There wasn't enough mud to lock my wheel up or anything, but things were already pretty badly rutted. Stuck to the pavement instead.

IMAG0437

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Has anyone found any trails in SW Edmonton other than those at Terwilleger? Not sure what's in the south whitemud ravine. I know the blackmud creek is a nature centre (23 ave bottom of the hill) with tones of no bike signs but I'm not sure about whitemud ravine.

mtbr member

Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

There's a trail south of Henday bridge on along west river bank called "breathless" was good few seasons back but from what I've heard from others last season was that it was all grown in and difficult to ride without bush wacking. Probably cause no trail maintenance done. Also the fact that the trail ends on private property and sometimes met with unfriendly farmer with a sickle isn't to welcoming for fellow mtb ers.

mtbr member
    Breathless was cleaned out a fair ways last summer. Last I rode it (Early November) it did end earlier than it originally did in a pile of downed trees, but it's still worth the trip from Terwillegar.

I'm not sure if there's anything in Whitemud south of 23rd ave, or whether that's closed to biking too, but everything north of 23rd ave is closed to bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So do you cross the Terwillegar bridge onto the Cameron Heights side to access Breathless or is the trail on the west side of the bridge still south of the river?

This forum post is awesome. Got out on Monday and got a bit muddy but it was awesome.

mtbr member
    You cross over the foot bridge underneath to the west side of the river. There's a retaining box around the pad on the west side of the bridge, and you should be able to see the trail heading south directly from the retaining box.

Shows up pretty clearly here, and continues south along the west side of the river.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/53.46...!1m0!1m0?hl=en

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Trails were great in the river valley for my fat bike today. No mud but it's going to get worse with the warmer temps. I took my studded Dillingers off earlier in the week and put on the Bud and Lou for the first time and it was a blast. I can't believe how big those tires are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Did anyone get any rides in edmonton today? Looking at driving in for a ride tomorrow night. Rode in Fort Sask red carpet trail is clear.

mtbr member
    I got out today. North side of river from muttart to science Park was good. South side was decent. All of this is MUTs. Probably another two weeks for the south side ST to dry out. Group ride tomorrow night and I'm sure they'll be more exploring then. I'll post back with trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the update! We're probably 2 weeks for the rest of the singletrack in the fort.

mtbr member
    I was out of town on the weekend, but got out for a ride on Monday morning. I did almost all of my usual summer loop - down to Goldbar, and then west through mckinnon.

I skipped rowland because it looked too snowy, but everything else was pretty good. Mostly snow-free, pretty dry, no big ruts or mudholes, and generally nicely rideable. The trail in the worst shape was the natural pumptrack by the mickinney bridge, and even it was in decent shape. I took the ss and stayed pretty clean, but it was first thing in the morning, so things were still chilly.

I wonder what's with the homeless camps this year? There are a lot of them which isn't unusual, but so many of them have garbage strewn for 100' in every direction. It's not just the dirty mattress guy, because I saw 3 others that were comparable to that. The amount of filth this year is really depressing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So were you on the south side of the river?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the 2-part goldbar trail, cadillac, upper ewok, birdhouse, the pumptrack, oldtimers, dirtymattress, that trail off 90ave below QE hill, kinsmen, and around the uofa. I skipped Rowland and completely forgot about skyline.

I started around 8:30 and finished by 11, so things were warming up by the time I got home. I didn't really have any issues, beyond the fact that I was trying a bigger gear on my singlespeed this year, and it turns out it's too big for a couple of those trails.

There's one big puddle in the middle of dirty mattress, random snow here and there, a couple of greasy sections, and lots of downed trees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Cool I think we'll head that way tonight then. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I hear you on the homeless camps. Dawson area is pretty bad, so bad that the Edmonton Sun has a couple of write ups on it. Our group ride last Monday ended up going through an abandoned homeless camp that had garbage everywhere.

mtbr member
    ^ I started at dawson today, and that's what blew me away. Dropping in at Alex Taylor road it's pretty much solid garbage for the next km.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did a loop around some of the single track out at sunridge this afternoon. With how open it is out there things are nice and dry. You still have to avoid some of the wetter low lying areas, but was quite impressed with the conditions overall. Still a few water holes along the multi-use south of the river in Goldbar. It's nice to see things drying up.

mtbr member
    Trails were all good yesterday. Stuck to the north side of the river between Queen E and Goldbar Park and all ST was good. South side of the river on the way back was pretty good as well. Old Timer's Cabin area is not too bad, but still some snow/ice sections in some of the ST areas. Mill Creek on the upper east bank is all good, but the trail is very soft. Mill Creek trails down by the pool are a bit muddy still.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Southside of the river from Goldstick to QE Park was ridable. We needed to be mindful of some of the lower covered trails as they were still greasy. I don't know the trail names but did check a few singletacks and they were in good shape. Needs a few weeks to dry out completely (especially after the rain tomorrow) and most of EDM trails will be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rode from Leg to Henrietta Louise Park and found that conditions were pretty solid on Monday, better on the N side of the river than S in my opinion. First time I had been though so please correct me if I am wrong.

As I am a newbie, I was trying to figure out something: someone built a table top ramp over a tree on the trail at Irene Parlby Park (Rossdale) just before the 98 ave bridge. I really like that trail as I am a novice rider, but how to do I navigate the ramp? It looks too steep to simply jump, and I tore my shins up good and proper making a few passes at it Monday.

mtbr member
    Rode the southside from Capilano to downtown, and everything was in great shape. Birdhouse was pretty slimy, and a couple of climbs were a little slippy, but hey, that's Edmonton.

First real ride on the summerbike, and it came home pretty clean which is nice. Now that everyone is on fatbikes in the winter, does anyone else find it weird to go back to suspension? I ride my rigid bikes all winter, and in the spring it usually takes me quite awhile - like a couple of weeks - to really get the hang of my hardtail again.

bodmanza, I'd like to help, and I know what trail you're talking about, but I don't know the tabletop. You say you're a newbie, but how much of a newbie are you? If you're completely new to this, there's some simple stuff like standing up, leveling your pedals, leaning your butt back, popping up the front and unweighting the rear...but if you already know all that I'm not sure what to say.
    Last edited by newfangled; 04-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There were lots of people out on the trails today. Rode through all the single track just east of Walterdale. I don't know what this area is called (the singletrack that runs between the multi-Use gravel and the paved path?) No kidding about the homeless camps. There has to be 3 or 4 of them in this area. Then I swung over and did what I think everyone calls canada cup? (the singletrack loops between Emily Murphy park kinsmen. A little slippery, but not a lot of deep much. Good day for a ride

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast