Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Edmonton - Spring 2013

I guess someone has to start a spring topic so here it is. Haven't been into the river valley at all yet this spring to see what thins look like.

mtbr member
    Hooray for spring!

I went through yesterday, and it's still very snowy out there. It's packed and rideable in some places, but a lot of trails have just a few footprints and nothing more. And with a chilly forecast for the next week, I'm not sure when things will clear up.

mtbr member
    Got out last weekend for mostly single track and multi trails. Soft was brutally soft and it was a frustrating endevour, but well worth it at the end of the ride! No pics.

Things sure are changing down by the Kinsmen area for the new bridge. Going to be interesting to see how the construction unfolds over the course of the summer.

Planning on going out tomorrow, regardless of weather. Will take some pics and post back.

mtbr member
    been riding last 9 weeks. Some Sundays better than others.

mtbr member
    I actually saw some mud on the trails on my way home today. It wasn't very much, and it was only in sunny sections, but it was a nice surprise.

I like bikes
    Hey ChainReactionCycles, no rush on those parts I order for my bike....Oh and F*U Mother Nature!!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, this spring has pretty much sucked. First group ride with Hardcore is tonight, so I'm hoping to make it out depending on work. Due to the weather, it'll be mostly paved trails tonight. Wasn't it last year that were pretty much snow-free at this time? It's been a very long snow season this year!

mtbr member
    This was mid-March last year:

But we did happen to get a snowstorm this week last year (I was moving, so I will always remember that surprise blizzard).

Took the studs off my cruiser-bike on the weekend, so today was my first ride on naked rubber in ~5.5 months. Studs are staying on my 29er for another week or two, though.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the lasting snow makes for a snow-free November and December. Autumn > spring for riding as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be happy with the trade-off.

mtbr member
    I looked through some other old pictures for comparison:

April 19, 2010

April 12, 2011

April 9, 2012

So this year we're probably a little behind, but not too far.

But I'm definitely a fan of long autumns too. As soon as the snow does melt we'll probably get weeks of rain, followed by bugs. It's been a few years since the last time the neon green worms took over, so I'm always wondering when we're due for that horror again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Hopefully the lasting snow makes for a snow-free November and December. Autumn > spring for riding as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be happy with the trade-off.
    This is true, my only preference for more riding at this time of year is the extra hours of sunlight as I'm usually out riding after work on weekdays...

mtbr member
    riding today from leva at 11am

mtbr member
    Got out last night with Hardcore. Based on the amount of snow, it's going to be a good 2-3 weeks before all the snow is gone. There is still a LOT of snow around.

mtbr member

Re: Edmonton - Spring 2013

To ride with Hardcore you need to be in the club?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    Yes, but it's the same with any club. I think all the clubs charge a nominal membership fee, nothing too outrageous. I use to ride with RVC, but when the store folded, I just went to Hardcore as I had previously bought a bike from there.

mtbr member
    Got out for a bit. Too many off leash dogs and too many four people wide groups. This is the worst part of the year - waiting for the snow to melt and having to dodge unaware walkers. Still lots of snow on the south side of the river.

rides with camera
    Blame the nice weather Jason. With the late Spring that doesn't seem to want to arrive show its face for a bit, the people will come out in droves. It was a beautiful night and I can only imagine the valley traffic tonight.

How's the new ride?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I hope to ride tomorrow during the day.

mtbr member
    The new ride is a noble steed! I've got some work to do on the shifting, and the brakes are kind of such, but it flies!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another goo option for a group ride is,Pedalhead on Calgary trail has Wednesday evening rides, no members ship needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Went to Chickakoo Lake (north of Stony Plain) today to see what kind of shape it was in. The trails are mainly deep slush and show still. I spent probably 1/3 of my time pushing. Not quite ready yet, but fun none the less.

mtbr member
    Great to know. It has been on my radar the last two months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Another goo option for a group ride is,Pedalhead on Calgary trail has Wednesday evening rides, no members ship needed.
    I hope to check them in a couple Wednesdays.

mtbr member
    Got out yesterday. Mill Creek is maybe 30% ready? The single track above the multi use trail just before the paved hill to the pedestrian overpass is all dry and good to go. Hit the ladder bridge on the way back and proceeded to go over my bars at the peak of the bridge! Guess it's to be expected, first time on a cross bike and single track and all. Thankfully, the mud and water softened the landing and all I have to show for it is a bruised knee and elbow.

Multi on the north side of the river is all dry from Muttart to Capilano. Lots of ice blocks flowing on the river.

New noble stead (with another just like it behind!):

Rest break:

mtbr member
    Was out this morning, and did Downtown to Goldbar and back.

Like everyone is saying, the northside is completely clear.

On the south I popped in for a look at the trail below Roland Road, but it looked like pretty solid ice so I skipped it. The gravel mup around Riverside golfcourse is mostly clear, with one or two sections of snow. Middle Ewok was clear and dry. I rode a bit of lower ewok and it was slick, but fairly clear of snow. The CC trails by the Old Timers' Cabin and the Kinsmen are in great shape, with the rare surprise patch of snow. Around the university is all snow and ice, and is not worth it.

The city has just started work on stony plain road bridge, so they've blocked the north entry to the Groat Road Rollercoaster with fencing. You can still get in a little further south, though. The trail is about 50% clear and dry, and 50% snow. Victoria Secret has a bit of snow at the north end, but other than that it's all clear. And I walked up bobsled with my dog on friday, and it was very mushy.

Last edited by newfangled; 04-28-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast