Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some friends and I are going to be headed to Hinton in a couple of weeks to do a day of riding and I figured I'd find out what other people thought of the trails there.

Is there enough time in a day to do both the Happy Creek and Jack's trail systems? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

I like bikes
    I would start at the Happy Creek trails and ride them as you can stage at the bike park and have some fun there too. If you still have gas in the tank, then head to Jack's. I spent 6 hours there last time I rode Hinton. Was a good time.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

mtbr member

Re: Edmonton - Spring 2013

Jack's was garbage 6 weeks ago.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    We (Hardcore) did some trail maintenance last night. Area worked on was the Old Timer Cabin trails/Canada Cup west area, plus Skyline Trail. New ladder bridges added, mud holes maintained, and general clearing.

Skyline Trail has a new cut in it to diverge around the tree right on the edge of the trail. If you look at the tree from the east side, you can see that the tree is going to fall probably next spring (and possibly take a rider with it). The new cut diverges back into the bank quite a bit and follows a natural crevice. Looking from the west side, the tree and trail look fine so if you're wondering why the new cut, just look at the trail and tree from the east side looking west!

mtbr member

Great job yesterday, I was riding with united last night.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    You probably passed Brian and I when we were cutting the new trail on Skyline, then. It should be good. Couple of group rides through the new cut and it'll settle in pretty quick.

mtbr member
    As a non-group rider, which one is skyline? The one right below sask drive, or the one right on the edge?

I've got tomorrow and all of next week off, so I hope to get in a couple of 4 hour rides instead of my typical 1-1/2 hour loops.

mtbr member
    The multi-use path that runs over by the Old Timer's Cabin - take it east and you'll see a sign on a single track that bears left off the MUT. On this sign (it says trail closed or something) there's an actual written/scratched "Skyline Trail" on the bottom. This is it. It takes you towards the bank of the river, above the new drainage that the City did work on a couple of years ago, and hooks up back to the paved path that you'd be on as you head towards the Queen Elizabeth loading dock area.

Google map area, hopefully it shows up okay. Entrance is approximately where I put the red diamond. You can actually see the trail a bit if you go to Google maps.

mtbr member
    Skyline is along the edge of the river. The drop in at the corner of sask drive and scona is Dirty Mattress. (Named for the dirty mattress that you can see down in the ravine, north of the rollers)

mtbr member

We took skyline at the end of our group ride. My first time in memory taking that trail. It has been a decade since I last rode with regularity.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    So it turns out that I hadn't actually ridden skyline before. I feel kindof dumb since I've ridden next to and past its north entrance a million times, and knew exactly where the sign was. It's one of those trails that I'd looked down once several years ago, thought "no trail here", and never gave it another thought.

Got to cambodia today for the first time this year, and of course everything was slimy and greasy. Blah.

Coming back I rode a loamy and presumably newish trail east of the capilano bridge. I'm not sure if it was the one that jhtopilko was mentioning a few posts ago? But this one connects (and basically completes) a trail that is uphill from the mup. It used to come to an abrupt end midway between the two bridges, but now it continues most of the way to the capilano.

mtbr member

The one by capilano is nicer going down instead of up.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    So it turns out that I hadn't actually ridden skyline before. I feel kindof dumb since I've ridden next to and past its north entrance a million times, and knew exactly where the sign was. It's one of those trails that I'd looked down once several years ago, thought "no trail here", and never gave it another thought.

Got to cambodia today for the first time this year, and of course everything was slimy and greasy. Blah.

Coming back I rode a loamy and presumably newish trail east of the capilano bridge. I'm not sure if it was the one that jhtopilko was mentioning a few posts ago? But this one connects (and basically completes) a trail that is uphill from the mup. It used to come to an abrupt end midway between the two bridges, but now it continues most of the way to the capilano.
    That's the trail that Jhtopilko was referring to. I hadn't ridden it in years because as you said, it was a trail that just sort of ended in the middle of nowhere. With the bush cleared back to the MUT, I'm sure it'll get more use now.

Cambodia Tuesday night was slick, and that was less rain Monday night than what we got last night. It's a great trail, but only when dry (IMO). Hopefully the rain stops or lessens significantly as riding on crackling leaves in the autumn is way better than riding on mushy slimy leaves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Amazing conditions out there right now - definitely the best so far this year. Hopefully everyone is getting a chance to get out there and take advantage... It definitely seems like fall is the most consistent time of year for trails - too bad the sun sets so early.

mtbr member

Good to know. I was in fernie, kimberley, Golden and canmore during the week and it was wetter than I liked except for kimberley.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6