Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    rides with camera
    Wow! Looks like you could see the fire road winding it's way up. You guys are on top of the world!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone been out to Hinton to ride before?

I was there on Saturday, and I'm pretty impressed. I could spend all day just in the Bike Park alone, but also managed to check out a lot of the Happy Creek Trail system.

The bike park has a drop zone, some dirt jumps, a few flow/berm trails, a skills area.
    The happy creek trail system has some really good XC single track(s) with good climbs and descents, and even a touch of more downhill like riding.

I will definitely be heading back for another adventure soon. I'm also looking to head to Moose Mountain around Calgary... (actually looking for someone to go there with to ride together)

mtbr member

Re: Edmonton - Spring 2013

I went two weeks ago. A waste compared to Edmonton. The happy creek trails were good. Unfortunately I got lost through jack's trail system for the first couple hours. Totally overgrown. Total ride was 3.5hrs.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.
    Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Got out last night. Same trail report as most of this summer - humid, wet, muddy, overgrown, shitty. Mid Ewok east entrance was muddy, so I didn't even try it. Mill Creek muddy. Some leaves are starting to turn, hopefully the weather turns for the better too this autumn. Our summer riding has been so shitty, it didn't even deserve it's own thread LOL!

mtbr member
    Heh, I was just thinking how nice it was that summer had finally arrived.

I dunno, the trails have been pretty fantastic the last two weekends, and during the week has been pretty good too. Monday was definitely gross after the storm, and I didn't hit the trails yesterday, but at lunch the stuff around belgravia and keillor was in pretty good shape. I'm planning on a canadacup loop after work.

Does anyone ride belgarvia? There's always a crazy amount of trail work going on in there, but most of it is way beyond my abilities (and possibly my bikes).

mtbr member
    Checking on Belgravia this afternoon. The drops from the residential to the lower trails are always in good shape due to the trails being steep and not allowing the water to pool.

The best riding this year, I think, has been late April and early May. Back then, the trails were a bit too dry, but I'll take dry over wet.

mtbr member
    The thing about Belgravia is that there are a few trails that are easy; a couple more are as steep as anything else in town (I'm thinking here and here); and then there are a whole bunch more that are insane. And have no run-outs. Between that and all the gap jumps I bet I ride less than half of what's in there. I'm just a chicken (although I'll blame the wet conditions and my crappy tires too)

mtbr member
    Belgravia was all good last night. All the super steep drops (including the links in Newfangled's post above) are in good shape. Lots of mud puddles down by the equine centre, and a few along the river's edge. Trail that runs from the Heritage pedistrian bridge to Keillor Road is getting in rough shape. Where the trail meets the two chain link fences has seen significant erosion. McKinnon Ravine was all good, no mud spots. Mill Creek still a bit greasy in sections.

mtbr member
    I was slipping all over the roots around the old timers' cabin yesterday, and the mudholes are back. Blah. Whenever I need new tires again, I'm going to have to seriously consider putting decent mud tires on one of my bikes.

But honestly, the trails were terrific for the last two weekends.

mtbr member

Lots of puddles yesterday going east from Saskatchewan drive off Calgary trail. The new trail east of Wayne Gretzky bridge is very soft but should be good.

Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    Lots of puddles yesterday going east from Saskatchewan drive off Calgary trail. The new trail east of Wayne Gretzky bridge is very soft but should be good.

Any info on this new trail? North or south side of river? I can only picture the multi-use trail that takes you from the bridge over to Goldbar park area and on the south side of the river, there's only the multi on the lower side of the golf course. If there's a new trail, I'd like to figure out where it is. Thanks!

mtbr member

South side. Under Wayne Gretzky then turn east onto gravel, then follow hard pack up a short hill. Turn into bush/obvious new trail at the plateau of the short hill.

Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    excellent, will check out this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Was out ridding Devon tonight, Trails were pretty good out there, wet in places but generally dry and fast. I was trying to pre-ride the course prior to the race that's out there next weekend. I've never ridden Devon before. Most of what I was riding seemed like it was fairly wide open flowing trails, not a lot of single track or technical stuff, but still lots of fun. I'll have to go out next Saturday to actually ride the course as marked, maybe I missed something.

mtbr member
    Got out last night after the rain shower. Everything wet east of White mud and everything dry west. Almost like an on/off switch. Patricia Ravine was all good, a couple of touchy spots, but nothing major.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Finally got out to ride the fort saskatchewan trail....

That's some nice trail out there. Good flow. all very rideable and enjoyable. Nice long stretch of uninterrupted trailage.

mtbr member
    ^ is the main ladder bridge fixed near the beginning of the trail from the tennis parking lot?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes. According to the guy I was riding with, all wood work has been repaired, and even some new stuff is up. He said the trail is in some of the best conditions he's ever seen it in.

(was all new trail to me)

Level 5 Rider!
    Hey guys I am a fairly new rider and I will be traveling up to Edmonton tomorrow night (from Calgary) and will be there till the 22. I was planning on going out riding with my brother but something came up and now it looks like it won't be happening. So I was wondering where I should head to for some biking in Edmonton. I will be staying in Sherwood Park... so around there would be a little better but not necessary.

Not familiar at all with the city, but I have heard that there are some great trails around there.

Oh and I am not interested in pathways more dirt single track type trails. If you have ever been in Calgary and gone to Nosehill Park that is where I usually ride. Looking for a new adventure, but nothing too crazy as in a week I plan on heading to my first venture in the mountains.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member

Head to Strathcona science park for Cambodia, then keep going west on the south side of the river for a couple hours.

Norco range on way.

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    Head to Strathcona science park for Cambodia, then keep going west on the south side of the river for a couple hours.
    Is Cambodia the name of the trail? Thanks for the quick reply!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member

Yes. Park as far south as you can at Strathcona science park. Then you are looking for a trail to the south east that starts with a quick descent like dropping into a valley, it will come up right away and lead into the bush.

Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Conditions as of yesterday afternoon - all trails west of Mill Creek are good. Cambodia and Science Park, Rowland area trails, and Ewok all ridden and all good. Lower Ewok along the river is mud and water and not really rideable. Rowland has some mud spots, but nothing serious other than the east trail entrance point. Mill Creek is starting to dry up pretty good, still some mud spots here and there. Given the weather forecast, trails should be primo until it rains again.

mtbr member
    Ride report: exact same route as yesterday except all trails dry with some tacky mud, but no slimy mud like yesterday . Lower Ewok still all mud and water bogged, though.

Ride past a bunch of 9-12 year olds in mid Ewok with some adults (nature walk?). Riding partner heard the kids say, "so that's how they do it!". Mind of neat as they all parted to either side of the trail to watch us ride by. There must have been fifteen kids. Kind of cool I thought.

I like bikes
    Just a head's up. There is a nut ball on the loose. Rides a bike and assaults women.Police ask for help in identifying bike trail assault suspect - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

Edmonton - Spring 2013-suspect-bike-grabbing.jpg

If you see this guy, please inform the police.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast