Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    what's that rattle?
    Great reports, thanks!

Has anyone checked out Ft. Saskatchewan since all the flooding? I'd like to check it out this weekend but won't waste the gas if it's really damaged.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
    Great reports, thanks!

Has anyone checked out Ft. Saskatchewan since all the flooding? I'd like to check it out this weekend but won't waste the gas if it's really damaged.
    I've been wondering the same. Planning to head out there tomorrow to test it out, I can update tomorrow night if I end up making it!

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneGretzky View Post
    I've been wondering the same. Planning to head out there tomorrow to test it out, I can update tomorrow night if I end up making it!
    I'm actually downing a Starbucks and getting ready to head down there for a scouting mission. I'm very curious myself. I'm just getting over a real bad allergy episode so it will be the perfect place to ride today!

There will be pics up on my blog later today... Yes, I'm now officially one of "those" guys trying to promote "his" blog.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper View Post
    I'm actually downing a Starbucks and getting ready to head down there for a scouting mission. I'm very curious myself. I'm just getting over a real bad allergy episode so it will be the perfect place to ride today!

There will be pics up on my blog later today... Yes, I'm now officially one of "those" guys trying to promote "his" blog.
    I was thinking of doing some recon today as well... planning to head out to Pigeon Lake for the weekend for some camping, fishing, and cycling and need to make sure the Blizzard is ready to go.

Figure that since we will be riding some longer distance XC that this is the right tool for the job and who knows what we will find out there.

Only been out on the old beater once this year since I have been struggling with health issues but if I take it slow and easy I should be fine.

Those 2.3's will get my skinny ass over and through almost anything.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    sixty-fiver, there was a Cannondale frankenbike at bikeworks south the other week with those swanky, raceface cranks. Always amazes me what people donate.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    sixty-fiver, there was a Cannondale frankenbike at bikeworks south the other week with those swanky, raceface cranks. Always amazes me what people donate.
    Those were the orange cranks yes ?

My neighbour designed those swanky Race Face SL cranks... he still has the prototypes.

Not a bad ride today... rode the low side of Ewok along the river and see that sink hole is still there and now it just full of mud. After that I went up to Forest Heights and then went down to Whtye via Millcreek ravine, ran a few errands and then came back through the ravine and came up 105 St for kicks.

All I can say is thank god for little grannies as climbing hills on one good leg is already hard enough and must say the Blizzard just makes me suck a little less.

Obligatory ride shot...

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

rides with camera
    Fort Saskatchewan is a mess. If you plan on going, don't bother. unless you are bringing a chain saw and a bobcat.

Sixty Fiver. I love your Blizzard! Those things are full of Canadian awesomeness.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Fort Saskatchewan is a mess. If you plan on going, don't bother. unless you are bringing a chain saw and a bobcat.

Sixty Fiver. I love your Blizzard! Those things are full of Canadian awesomeness.
    Good to know, thanks for the heads up! Guess I will steer clear tomorrow. It's unfortunate though, that has to be my favourite trail in the area

mtbr member
    Trails as of last night were all good from Mill Creek to Strathcona Science Park. Have to say that Cambodia is probably my favorite place to ride now, especially going east to west (mostly downhill going this way).

mtbr member
    I finally rode the trail by the equine centre today, and was surprised that it was all still in one piece after the flooding. And I think some of the keillor slide connections are still underwater? Other than that, trails were really nice on the way home tonight - a lot nicer than they were on thursday. Not sure about Sunday, but Saturday should be a really good day for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I Love Ridding in Edmonton! So much to ride.

Was out through a few places on the weekend. Some may have actual names that I'm not aware of. I was in Europe for the last 2 weeks so I left when everything was still underwater. There's still lots of closed signs up around the goldbar / capilano area, but everything is slowly getting cleaned up and very rideable. The gravel path on the north side of riverside golf course is still closed as the river bank is pretty badly eroded.

Was out riding around Sunridge on Saturday, the trails were nice and dry, very fast. I really enjoy ridding out there. I can imagine it gets pretty slick when it's wet out though.

The single track that runs along the bottom of the hill north of the concrete path around Dawson park is nice and dry, but the grass has gotten very long. I was actually considering walking though this area with a gas powered trimmer, just to knock the grass back enough that you can see the trail. Would this be frowned upon?

Has anyone been on the sigle track along the river between riverside golf course and 98th Ave (ish), the path that bypasses the climb on the concrete path up to McNally? This is a great trail, but I wonder if it's still underwater or in really bad shape.

mtbr member
    The riverside trail got hit pretty badly in 2011, which is why it's now partly rerouted into the golf course. I was around there on saturday, and at the east end there was a lot of snow fencing. I'd say that it looked closed, but I also didn't look too closely since I was heading from Rowland up the hill to Cadillac.

And yeah, a lot of the trails are getting crazily overgrown. The way that the rains have eroded new washouts onto some trails I'm a little paranoid about cruising along but not being able to actually see my front wheel.

mtbr member
    The riverside trail got hit pretty badly in 2011, which is why it's now partly rerouted into the golf course. I was around there on saturday, and at the east end there was a lot of snow fencing. I'd say that it looked closed, but I also didn't look too closely since I was heading from Rowland up the hill to Cadillac.

And yeah, a lot of the trails are getting crazily overgrown. The way that the rains have eroded new washouts onto some trails I'm a little paranoid about cruising along but not being able to actually see my front wheel.
    There's two wash out sections on the multi beside the golf course. The one wash out gives you about 2.5 feet of trail before the bank's edge and the other one is about a foot and a half? I'm just guessing, but the bank edge is close enough that you need to pay attention on those spots. I imagine that the City will clear the trail back a bit and have it reopened at some point.

I was lucky enough to find time to ride the 24 Hour course at the Nordic Centre on Sunday. Wow, those trails are spectacular! It was nice to ride without tree branches slapping my face, or grass/weeds whacking my shins. Can't wait for the race this weekend!!

mtbr member
    Keillor>Hawrelak has shifted a whole bunch more since last week. It's all still hanging on, but if we get some more heavy rain I wouldn't be surprised if a really long stretch of it lets go.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Thanks... it got some new boots today in the form of some Schwalbe Rocket Rons and all I can say is great googly moogly these tyres are awesome and dropping a pound off the wheels never hurts.

Looking forward to seeing if this helps me get my busted ass up and down things any faster... they are markedly faster on the road that those Nevegals which have their own virtues in that they are so sticky when it's wet.

But when it is wet I ride da Pug... it will barely leave a track in the mud.

mtbr member
    Put a foot down in the middle of Lower Ewok today, and sank down past my knee. Came very close to losing my shoe, which would have made for an awkward ride home.

Even with the rain on saturday the trails are in generally good shape...except for all the mudholes everywhere.

mtbr member

24 Hours of Adrenaline, a nice change of pace from Edmonton's monsoon summer

With the crappy weather we've had, here's some random Friday night and Saturday morning shots from the 24 Hours this past weekend in Canmore. The course was fantastic, fast, but a bit dusty. We got some rain Friday night, but not enough to settle the dust. Night laps were under a full moon, with a bit of a breeze coming in around 3am.

Friday night, pretty calm. View from the over/under bridge, an "obstacle" that claimed its fair share of unprepared riders. Chicken wire fence and bare skin don't mix well together! Lots of Anthem 29ers, Specialized Stumpjumpers, and Rocky Mountain Altitudes at the race.

Saturday morning:

Fours to go until the start:

Crazy Larry:

Bear dog patrol:

LeMans running start:

mtbr member
    Looks like fun, jkirkpatri.

So...I've got to say that the trails are getting pretty dry. There are still mudholes, but they're filled with actual mud and not 4" of standing water. And of course the long range forecast is full of rain, but for right now conditions are as good as they've been since probably May.

mtbr member
    Not a trail report, but I did manage to get a nice close up view of the river valley's resident bald eagle yesterday. Was on the north side of the river straight across from the sewage treatment plant. Thought it was a freaking huge crow until it turned and I could see it's white head and yellow beak. Cool! Two sightings in three years for me now.

mtbr member
    I know a bunch of raptors hang out by Goldbar and the science park, but I swear I saw an eagle first thing this morning around 116st. It was just hanging way up high and surveying, and it definitely had a different coloured head. So either an eagle, or a vulture.

My bike got supremely muddy yesterday. I had to stop and clean off my seatstays because the tire was rubbing so badly. But the trails are fun-muddy, and not the greasy, slippery, crappy muddy they've been. So of course the forecast calls for 3 days of rain.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Not a trail report, but I did manage to get a nice close up view of the river valley's resident bald eagle yesterday. Was on the north side of the river straight across from the sewage treatment plant. Thought it was a freaking huge crow until it turned and I could see it's white head and yellow beak. Cool! Two sightings in three years for me now.
    My resident Merlins have been busy as their babies have fledged... the birds in the neighbourhood are keeping things quiet and I have a flock of Magpies hiding out under my trees to avoid becoming dinner for these feisty little falcons.

The Peregrine falcons that live downtown have stopped on my roof to devour the pigeons they catch and think they like to cruise the mall where the squab have no cover to use.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Damn rain is gonna make everything all muddy again... guess I will be forced to ride the Pug when I was really looking forward to testing the new Schwalbes on the Bliz.

Life is tough.

mtbr member
    At lunch today I decided to check out the trail closure by the Ft. Ed footbridge that the city still has listed on its website:

I've sworn to myself that I'm going to ride the Patricia/WolfWillow trails sometime this summer. What's the best way to get to them - from those big stairs by the pedestrian bridge, or from around Patricia Heights school, or from Westridge Community League?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    At lunch today I decided to check out the trail closure by the Ft. Ed footbridge that the city still has listed on its website:

I've sworn to myself that I'm going to ride the Patricia/WolfWillow trails sometime this summer. What's the best way to get to them - from those big stairs by the pedestrian bridge, or from around Patricia Heights school, or from Westridge Community League?
    if you go to OpenStreetMap, change the layer to cycle map, and look at this area, the trail in red is my preferred way to go, versus climbing up and down the stairs...

Also, that closed part (you've pictured) can be passed with out much concern, I've done it myself several times, and see people walking/jogging over it all the time...

mtbr member
    Last year I posted some pics of my backpacking trip up Mount Robson. Here's some pics from my Skyline Trail trip I did last week (Jasper).

The Notch, top part where the snow is, way off in the distance:

Quarter way up, looking down:

**** gets steep and loose:

Arrival:

Some views from up top:

Mount Robson, waaaaaay off in the distance:

Trail on the ridge:

For Sherijumper, looking down at Palisades lookout. Yep, looking DOWN:

Now back to our eternal spring/rain thread.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast