Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Super nice picture!

mtbr member
    I went west today through to terwillegar . Mostly dry. Enough mud to make things messy. Some snow still out there.

rides with camera
    Love that picture Newfangled... Wow!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Ewok was great last night.

mtbr member
    Ride report: Mill Creek is 95% good. Some brown ice patches on the trail above the creek bank just north of the pool, and some mud, but other than that, all is good. Mid Ewok is all dry, as confirmed previously. Upper Rowland Trail is good to go. Gord962 and I cleared four trees off the path, but the remaining two trees will need a chain saw. These two trees are over the path just after the steep switchback if you're riding the trail eastbound.

Saw a group of kids with some adult leaders on the single track in Mill Creek. All kids had a number plate and they were riding EVERYTHING! They looked to be 8-10 years old with kid appropriate bikes and they weren't taking the easy path on anything. Kudos to them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Went to Terwillegar park today. Mostly dry. Crazy busy, barely found parking.

rides with camera
    Reading good stuff on here regarding trails being ready. I've been extremely busy helping in laws move off a farm they have been on for over 60 years. Needless to say it's a lot of work! I hope to get out later this week if time and schedule permits.

Has anyone been out to Fort Saskatchewan yet this year? if so how are things looking? I would think with this current weather we are having everything will be 100% by tomorrow.

I could not imagine how busy the river valley was this weekend considering it was snowing last weekend!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper View Post
    Reading good stuff on here regarding trails being ready. I've been extremely busy helping in laws move off a farm they have been on for over 60 years. Needless to say it's a lot of work! I hope to get out later this week if time and schedule permits.

Has anyone been out to Fort Saskatchewan yet this year? if so how are things looking? I would think with this current weather we are having everything will be 100% by tomorrow.

I could not imagine how busy the river valley was this weekend considering it was snowing last weekend!
    Where's the best location to access the trails in Fort Saskatchewan? This is one the only areas around Edmonton that I still haven't checked out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HankMcCoy View Post
    Where's the best location to access the trails in Fort Saskatchewan? This is one the only areas around Edmonton that I still haven't checked out...
    Turner Park. Park by the tennis courts. Trail head is just off the paved trail. Can't miss it. Trail heads back towards and under the 94 street bridge.

fort saskatchewan turner park - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Turner Park. Park by the tennis courts. Trail head is just off the paved trail. Can't miss it. Trail heads back towards and under the 94 street bridge.

fort saskatchewan turner park - Google Maps
    Awesome, thanks for this!

I was out last night and rode from the rooty trail in MacKinnon to Ewok to Queen E to the Kinsman portion of the Canada Cup and back. Great conditions on all trails...

The trail from Queen E to the river has been altered somewhat as many trees have been cut and piles of sawdust on the trail including the nice bank turn before the straight-away to the river. Not sure if this is for the Walterdale bridge construction?
    Thankfully the best part of the CC trail was spared and only half of it was eliminated due to bridge construction.

Anybody else use Strava to track rides? I've noticed that there aren't a huge amount of segments posted for areas that I figured would get heavy use.

mtbr member
    Lost my post so a quick summary.

Got out yesterday for a good long ride. Mill Creek, Kinsmen, over to Keillor Road, back through McKinnon ravine, back to Old Timer's Cabin, and back home. All trails are dusty. Lower Keillor road trail is all good, until you get to the mud flat area. Still muddy over there.

The tree that was over the path just past the orange fence on the lower Keillor Road trail now has an up and over on it. Kudos to whomever built it.

mtbr member
    I was in BC for a week, but while I was gone it's like someone flicked the switch from Winter>Summer. I got out for a quick ride last night, and I couldn't believe how leafed-out everything was.

mtbr member
    Got out for a Terwilliger to Strathcona Science Park ride on Sunday, and out again for a bit yesterday. That white aspen fluff, or whatever it is, is starting up. Expect to see some "snow" on the trails in a few weeks. Lots of pockets of those little bugs that get in your nose, mouth, ears, etc throughout Mill Creek Ravine.

mtbr member
    Got out today in the afternoon. Mill Creek, Canada Cup/Old Timer's area, Kinsmen, and Whitemud Equine Centre all good. Some slick muck in Mill Creek in very few spots, all else is in great shape. Most of the rainfall on Saturday was sucked right up given that the trails were so dry.

mtbr member
    Thunder and rain keeps the walkers away!

mtbr member
    Lets see...

Before the rain I rode Treasure Island for the first time in forever, and it was actually dry. There's been a major slide in the middle (like I said, I hadn't ridden it in forever) that really messes things up.

I finally rode the trail that was mentioned here last year that goes east from the top of the hill east of the dawson bridge. It was pretty fun, and it worked well in both directions.

I can't believe how much dirt someone has moved to create a new jumpline on upper ewok. That seems like a crazy amount of work.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I can't believe how much dirt someone has moved to create a new jumpline on upper ewok. That seems like a crazy amount of work.
    I was thinking that myself, I keep riding around it on the now older trail. It looks like a fun little section. Once it dries and I'm heading west I'll hit it. Or East if I'm feeling manly!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Got out for a good romp this morning. Hero dirt everywhere. Mill Creek, Canada Cup, Old Timers, Kinsmen, Victoria Secret, Whitemud Equine Centre, Patricia Ravine, the whole works is good to go. Very few mud spots, most mud is at the Equine Centre, some on Victoria Secret close to the bridge drop in point..

mtbr member
    Trail conditions from Hardcore group ride last night. Most trails are still greasy and muddy. North side of the river is okay, but still some mud/water holes. Science Park is okay and good without too much mud.

mtbr member
    Everybody knows the tree that fell over the path on the north side of the river that we have to go over. It's on the property that is owned by the lady who has been widely discussed in the forums before.

Last Monday when our group ride went through, there were posts installed for a future fence.

Looks like the fence is going ahead. Edmonton Journal story here:

Fenced piece of paradise causes frustration in Riverdale

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's really too bad that it's come to this... The only good thing is that it wasn't mountain bikers that got blamed for causing this and get a bad rap as a result.

mtbr member
    I agree, but I wonder how long until somebody vandalizes her property in retaliation?

mtbr member
    Yeah, nice to see that the offleash dogs called out as the problem. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see another story in a month or two about how the fence didn't work.

I've been riding through there for 5 years, and I don't remember the flowers that needed to be tip-toed through?

I find myself sticking to the south bank nowadays though - I feel I get more bang for the buck in terms of riding time.
    Last edited by newfangled; 06-08-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: south/north - same difference

mtbr member
    Got a nice ride in on the southside from the U to Capilano and back. Everything was nice and dry, including lower ewok. Although the dark clouds are gathering as I type this.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I agree, but I wonder how long until somebody vandalizes her property in retaliation?
    It's almost inevitable. She's opening herself up to get attacked. I even mentioned that when I talked to her when she was telling me about the fence and she disregarded it and said the police would just get involved.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast