Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    rides with camera

Edmonton. Spring 2012

I had to do this. We were still posting in the Fall thread and Winter is pretty much over..
    The trails are quite messy at the moment but at the rate it's going we may see dirt soon!
    Just make sure you throw on those fenders for the time being....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton. Spring 2012-img_9796.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yea, I guess the winter thread got skipped, but given the mild temperatures and lack of snow this year means we didn't have a traditional winter anyway.

I was out yesterday riding some country roads. Slipped quite a bit in the slush and got nice and muddy. Fun short ride, but I can't wait till it dries out a bit more.

mtbr member
    Definitely a weird year. This was my third "winter" of commuting and hitting the trails on the way home. With the sloppiness out there right now I'll probably be staying off the trails for the next week or two, but I really hope we get the rain that's in the forecast to clean things up fast.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe....it's a week early for spring, but considering the winter we had, I'd say we're probably in pretty good standing to go to a spring thread. Heck, if things keep up they way they have been, I'll get the knobbys back on the Cx bike and get commuting again
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Anyone planning to come out to the Blizzard Bike Race in Devon?
    Definitely a more recreational, come-to-have-fun event, but it should be good. Tons of draw prizes, free hot drinks, chili and cookies, hard to go wrong!

The way this weather is, probably should be called the Slush Cup, but it will be fun nonetheless.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Should be extra slushy with snow in the forecast for Saturday!
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    I've decided the only way I am going to be in shape for race season is to take my CX bike off the trainer, put the knobby back on the rear wheel and start commuting. Because I was dealing with sciatica for the last 3 months I have lost a TON of fitness and I can only hope that I don't get lapped in the first few races this year!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Just rode the course today, most of it is super prime and packed down nicely, a few sections are soft and challenging, but I rode the entire course on a skinny-tire cross bike (new Norco Threshold!) so on a mountain bike tire it would be quite easier.

It's supposed to drop below 0 every night leading into the race, so hopefully that delays the melt enough to have a race on snow instead of slush and mud... Fingers crossed!
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    I'm not a racer, but I'm definitely glad to see that the race is back after the weather went crazy last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Carryover from the Fall thread

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I've got a firexc on the back of my hardtail, and it has lasted forever. This will be it's 3rd season, and I figure it's got at least 6000km of commuting/trails on it, and there's still plenty of life left in it. The only thing is that it's always been a really terrible wet weather tire. If the trails are a little muddy, or if the roots are a little damp then it will slide all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    The FireXC's last forever, but yeah, they suck when things get wet. Even if it is moderately damp, they can clog up pretty good. In snow, I ccutally find they do respectably well, but not in mud.
    Ahhh crap - I picked 'em out "visually" just for the mucky/damp stuff I expect in Spring. The tread pattern 'looks' good for muck, but it's hard to guess at the compound. Oh well - what would you suggest for Spring conditions, between these? I use tubes on my 26" bike and tend to shop at MEC so...

Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1 *or* 2.35
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25

Everything else is either really heavy or just seems wrong (Kenda Smallblock8 and Maxxis Ikon / Holy Roller) for muck.

mtbr member
    ^ I've got Ardents on my 29er, and they're not nearly as squirrely.

There were a couple of times last year where I gave up in the middle of a ride (usually just hitting the trails on my way home) because the FireXC was sliding all over the place, and I'd been through the same spot the day before on the Ardents without any problems.

I also had a nevegal on the rear before the firexc, and didn't have the same problems with it (although it wore out in less than a summer)

Sorry for the bad news about the Firexc. Generally it's a really nice tire, but it's surprisingly, bafflingly terrible in the wet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well these were taken exactly 1 week ago but I just couldn't wait to get the cross check off the trainer and onto the trails!
    should be an awesome day today with double digits in the forecast. Might just have to go do another scouting run in the river valley to check out conditions.

These pics are from terwillegar dog park and the paved path just outside the park(sorry, i'm not great with directions and since i don't live in edmonton, i get lost easily in the river valley trail system the odd times i visit). Was kinda messy in spots with all the sand on the paved path and still a bit icy in spots so had to be careful on some of the downhills.
    Cross check feels great on the paved stuff. little rough on the lumpy snow compared to my 6" AM bike though.

IMG_0717

IMG_0716

IMG_0710

Picked up my cross check from Revolution Cycle about a month ago after waiting for it on back order for 4 months. Only changes so far beyond adding fenders and a seat bag are removing the bar end shifters and moved them to the downtube braze ons. Front shifter doesn't work very good right now but I have some proper dura ace downtube shifters on order to hopefully fix that.

Anyway back to topic, I did do another trip down to the park by the zoo the following friday and the paved trails were ok, again steep sections had lots of sand and still some snow on em so had to walk some. still alot of snow on the non paved trails but there were the odd spots that had some mud and roots showing through.

Happy trails

mtbr member
    I went through Millcreek on the way home last night, and it was pretty much solid ice. There are little bits of dirt showing through in places, but even with studded tires there were a lot of spots where it was just hang-on-and-hope-for-the-best. The Canada Cup course was a little bit better, but it still wasn't too much fun either.

mtbr member
    Even sections of the paved trails through Mill Creek were like skating rinks this morning. Commuting was a breeze today with nearly 100% of the almost 20km commute on designated bike/multiuse paved paths. I would say from what I encountered, 97% of the paved trails are clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Tron View Post
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25

Everything else is either really heavy or just seems wrong (Kenda Smallblock8 and Maxxis Ikon / Holy Roller) for muck.
    I would NOT recommend the Ignitors. They clog up quickly and do not shed mud. I use the Ardent 2.25 on my SS 29er and find I can usually stay upright more than most others I ride with when in less than favourable conditions.

Another good option for a tire that can handle all conditions and does better than most in the mud is the Kenda Karmas 1.9s - it is my go to tire when racing in muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2 positives for the Ardent - seems like a safe bet. Thanks for the input!
    Not necessarily needing a mud-paddle tire, just something that's not notably bad I can always swap in the XC later in the year.

mtbr member
    ^ the other thing to remember is that spring won't necessarily be muddy. Even with all of the snow we had last year the trails were super dry in May. Of course then it rained non-stop for all of June and July, but before that things were good.

mtbr member
    A little something from the ride home today:

That was the longest section of my route that was mostly muck and snow free, but it's getting close out there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Was out exploring the bike paths in Stony Plain today. Found some trails in the bush that I didn't know existed. Very sweet surprise.

These trails aren't nearly as clear of snow as newfangled's picture. They were pretty fun though, it was nice getting into the woods a bit.

Love the Cross Check jonb505, beautiful bike.

rides with camera
    Out today and the paved trails are pretty much clear of snow, there were sections of ice and slush on the southside but nothing too bad.

Mckinnon ravine is doing it's usual slow melt, with snow still covering lots of the paths along with some hairy sections of thick ice making some question why they took off their winter tires
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joewill View Post
    Was out exploring the bike paths in Stony Plain today. Found some trails in the bush that I didn't know existed. Very sweet surprise.

These trails aren't nearly as clear of snow as newfangled's picture. They were pretty fun though, it was nice getting into the woods a bit.

Love the Cross Check jonb505, beautiful bike.
    Thanks, it rides just as good as it looks.

Did you say Stony Plain? I never knew there were any trails in stony plain. I live next door in Spruce Grove and there are a few paved trails through town with the odd little dirt trail here and there in the woods but never thought Stony had anything. Might have to head over there and check it out next time i'm out for a ride. Its only a couple miles down the highway. Good excuse to put some miles in on the cross check

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Tron View Post
    Carryover from the Fall thread

Ahhh crap - I picked 'em out "visually" just for the mucky/damp stuff I expect in Spring. The tread pattern 'looks' good for muck, but it's hard to guess at the compound. Oh well - what would you suggest for Spring conditions, between these? I use tubes on my 26" bike and tend to shop at MEC so...

Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25

The Ardents are pretty good....I use an Ardent clone (Spesh Purgatory) on the DT and find it works well for the most part. Nev's aren't too bad, but I find even the non-Stick-E ones wear really quickly.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonb505 View Post
    Thanks, it rides just as good as it looks.

Did you say Stony Plain? I never knew there were any trails in stony plain. I live next door in Spruce Grove and there are a few paved trails through town with the odd little dirt trail here and there in the woods but never thought Stony had anything. Might have to head over there and check it out next time i'm out for a ride. Its only a couple miles down the highway. Good excuse to put some miles in on the cross check
    I'm not sure how long the trails I was on go. I cut my exploring short because I forgot my water bottle at home and I was getting very thirsty. I'm looking forward to getting back out there and doing some more exploring.

To find the trails just take the bike path along 79th Ave. west of Golf Course road. If you stay on the path as it goes into the wooded area you'll see the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got back from a ride in the mill creek ravine area. I parked just off whyte ave 95a street, the first parking lot going down 95a street. Took the Slayer out for a ride today.
    This is my first time in the mill creek ravine area exploring on my own so don't ask me where I was when i took these pictures, I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm just glad i managed to find my way back to my car after i was tired of riding.
    I managed to find some single track not far from the parking lot and rode it back and forth a few times.
    Weather was great today, the sections with snow were slushy. There were quite a few bare spots, some dry and others muddy especially on the single track i found.
    BTW i'm running maxxis ardent 2.25 on the rear and 2.4 on the front. Handled the muddy stuff just fine. I did slip out on one steep climbs in the mud but downhill grip in the mud was fine. Anyhow on with the pictures:

IMG_0734

spot where i slipped:
    IMG_0732

IMG_0730

IMG_0725

IMG_0722

IMG_0721

mtbr member
    Not sure if people have heard about the Rivervalley Cycle Liquidation Auction on March 31:

River Valley Cycle :: Edmonton's exclusive Kona bike shop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast