Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Riding - Summer 2011

Seeing as how summer officially started a while back, I figured a new thread was warranted.

Haven't been on the bike in three weeks due to weather and an injury, but got out this morning. Shouldv'e brought my camera. Next time.

Highlights: Capilano boat launch is cratered like the moon, and has a visible crack that has split the ground wide open. Earthquake resemblance: 7/10. Well worth the visit just to have a look at what some water can do.

Lots of trail errosion and lots of overgrowth since I was last out. Crazy how fast the trails can change in so little time.

Bonus: no green catterpillars to be found!

rides with camera
    After reading your post I had to go see the boat launch. I can`t believe how high the water was! There is lot`s of trail damage to anything that was low. It`s too bad, but I guess you have to expect it coming from a river...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Riding - Summer 2011-img_7064.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I was out today and noticed that we have lost some of our trails. Mill Creek has lost trail into the creek and the piece west of the Dawson on the North side of the river also fell in.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962 View Post
    I was out today and noticed that we have lost some of our trails. Mill Creek has lost trail into the creek and the piece west of the Dawson on the North side of the river also fell in.
    The Dawson Creek - is this the trail that has access off the paved trail just past the pedistrian bridge? This is the trail that's tight through the brush (watch out for homeless people!) and then super quick flow by residential houses? If so, that really sucks. I'm going to have to go check that out.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    The Dawson Creek - is this the trail that has access off the paved trail just past the pedistrian bridge? This is the trail that's tight through the brush (watch out for homeless people!) and then super quick flow by residential houses? If so, that really sucks. I'm going to have to go check that out.

Rode through it yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Riding - Summer 2011-img_7051.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    A jogger tsk-tsked at me on that Riverdale trail once - even though the signage was pretty inconclusive (it's only closed if you're heading east, but not west?), and if the trail was closed then they shouldn't have been on it either. But after that I decided to be a responsible trail user and skip the obviously eroded section right on the river. So I basically ride the twisty homeless section, hit the mup for 200m, and then back into the trees before the tireswing. I rode through on saturday and didn't even notice the collapse.

And then I did a fairly nasty faceplant a little west of the goldbar footbridge. Just riding along on the gravel mup, picked a line between two trees, but didn't realize that one of them was wrapped in chicken wire. Noticed it way too late, and I was in way too close, and bam. Stupid invisible chickenwire.

Double-metric mtb man
    Ok...I am not a future film maker by any stretch....but this should give you a flavor of the Ride to Conquer Cancer this year...

There are sections of audio from the Ride itself....the GoPro and I did our best to let you hear some of the "good" stuff and keep some tunes spinning
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Everything is just so damp right now. When do the out-of-town racers typically start showing up for the Canada Cup?

mtbr member
    ^ I think you'll see some vans down at the Kinsmen tennis court parking lot about 4-5 days before the event, so next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Got out today for a spin. Pictures to follow.

mtbr member
    Random shots from Wednesday night. Some random dude; what happens when people ride bikes and widen the ST as they don't want to get muddy; Capilano boat launch; mud slide where a trail used to be; River Queen; a billion mosquitoes (not pictured)

mtbr member
    ^ are those last few shots from east of the boat launch, or from somewhere else? (trails all kindof looks the same after awhile)

The trail from Keilor to Hawrelak has seen some pretty severe shifting recently. It hasn't all collapsed into the river (yet?), but a couple of new drops have opened up. The instability extends pretty far back into the trees.

And I took advantage of the brief sun yesterday to take a quick trip down to the new Ft Ed pedestrian bridge at lunch:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ are those last few shots from east of the boat launch, or from somewhere else? (trails all kindof looks the same after awhile)
    Last two shots are east of the River Queen, and are past the wire fence. I like to think of this trail as the pump track (many, many rolling bumps that you can pump your bike through and along).

The shot with the tread marks from the caterpillar that went through to grade the MUT is right next to the capilano boat launch, west side. It's the trail that is just below the pavillan area.

Nice find on the deer. I've only seen two deer in the river valley. One was in Mill Creek at 5am and the other one was in Terwilliger, at a more respectible time of 7am.

rides with camera
    I saw a coyote in Mill Creek the other day. He was running way to fast too get a picture, I would imagine it would have freaked out some little dog owners if they saw it.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I've seen a coyote once this year in Mill Creek as well; early spring. I wouldn't be surprised if he/she lives there. Again, an early morning sighting.

mtbr member
    Warning, non-bike content!

Seeing how crappy the weather here in Edmonton is, I thought I'd post something different. Here are some random pics I took while backpacking Mount Robson with my wife last weekend.

Whitehorn campsite suspension bridge over the Robson River. One person at a time with a definite cool factor to it.

Coming out of Robson from Emporer Falls. You don't know what a hill is until you hike this 5km long hill up and down. Add a backpack and it was a 2.0 hour torture fest up and 1.5 hour torture fest down two days later. It's five days later and my thighs are still sore.

The view out of our tent at Emporer Falls. The river is damn loud, but in a soothing relaxing way.

Robson Glacier, on the backside of Mount Robson with Berg Lake. 21km from the parking lot at this point. No toursists up here!

Same glacier, different angle.

Yes, the crazy rain we've had here in Edmonton is evident here too. You can see that the lake has flooded about 17 meters and has almost taken over a tent site.

One km stretch cut into the side of the mountain with random strangers heading back to Emporer Falls. A very cool stretch of the hike, but have to watch your footing as the trail is all loose rock slabs.

Mount Robson, as seen from our tent vestibule.

Avalanche area, and yes, that white stuff is snow still left over from winter. Current temperature when we took this picture was about 24 Celcius. Carnage up the mountain, a cleared path, and carnage down the mountain. A definite WTF moment until we saw the snow.

Mount Robson, from a toursist viewpoint.

Total backpacking distance about 42km. Total number of steps per my pedometer about 71,000. Only wildlife observed - park ranger horses, squirrels, and three porcupines. Saw a bear outside of Hinton, but thankfully no bear or bear scat on the trail. No rain during the day, but poured at night. Lots of fibreous mud, 80%+ humidity, and a nice break from the Edmonton crapfest that has so far been our summer.

....and now back to the Edmonton, not so much riding thread.....

mtbr member
    Canada Cup running today down at Kinsmen. What a s1ht fest that is. Guys on one lap are already covered in mud, can't see their drivetrain, and are pushing/carrying their bikes through the mud infested course. No camera on today's ride, but the Canada Cup course is going to be beat to a pulp by the end of the day. Kudos to those who didn't say f-it after one lap, I know I would of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nice pictures..we were camping there last weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Canada Cup running today down at Kinsmen. What a s1ht fest that is. Guys on one lap are already covered in mud, can't see their drivetrain, and are pushing/carrying their bikes through the mud infested course. No camera on today's ride, but the Canada Cup course is going to be beat to a pulp by the end of the day. Kudos to those who didn't say f-it after one lap, I know I would of.

I don't get it. mtb clubs/riders in Edmonton are always trying to promote trail preservation/maintenance and a part of that has always been to encourage riders not ride when trails are wet to prevent forming ruts and destroying trails but all of a sudden when its Canada Cup XC its okay. Again, I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    I don't get it. mtb clubs/riders in Edmonton are always trying to promote trail preservation/maintenance and a part of that has always been to encourage riders not ride when trails are wet to prevent forming ruts and destroying trails but all of a sudden when its Canada Cup XC its okay. Again, I don't get it.
    It's a "Canada Cup" race. You have riders from across the country coming to Edmonton to do this race. It's actually a pretty big and significant event. You can't upheave the race day and put a lot of riders in chaos with travel plans (airplane flights, hotels, etc). The race is a go, rain or shine. Points are on the line, elite riders are here, etc. It's not just the locals that are racing here.

It it was a local event (like the Perogy XC), then yes, the event could be postponed. The Perogy got postponed until near the end of August due to the rain (it was set for a mid-July race at the Strathcona Science Park), but it's a local event and although not ideal, rescheduling is possible and for this event, was actually done.

For trail conservation, this race will actually be a better trail "conservation" event than what the local riders have done to the trail system this past month. This is a designated race with a designated course. These guys don't go out of their way to avoid a mud puddle. The guys that go out of their way to avoid a mud puddle are the ones that take a single track and widen it to a double track due to not staying on the trail. I see this everywhere in our river valley this year. The Canada Cup course will have some huge ruts on it when the weather drys up, but at least the trail damage will be on the trail itself, unlike the rest of the trail damage/trail widening that is happening elsewhere.

The trail damage sucks, no doubt, but it'll be much easier to restore than other areas of the city. When the leaves fall is when you'll see the true extent of this past summer's rain.

mtbr member
    Agreed - damage was mainly isolated to the east end of the course. Unfortunately some lines on the ridgelines may never be restored. The groups that have been participating on the trail maintenance days are working on preventing trail widening and trying to restore areas where trails have widened because LOCALS are too worried about riding through a mud puddle.

mtbr member
    I hit most of the CC course on the way home tonight, and was surprised what good shape it's in. The techy section right below scona road definitely took the worst of it - it's basically shredded, and it's still mucky, and I walked through most of it. But everywhere else was pretty dry, with maybe a few new brake bumps or muddy divots. Considering how bad the conditions were I was expecting a lot more damage, but for the most part I could barely even tell that there'd been a race.

mtbr member
    ^this is good news to hear, thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd stay away from the east section right below scona rd/sask dr for awhile. They've added some ladders in a few of the bad spots, but it was just no fun and racing must have stunk. The other eastern stuff that's between the river and the paved trail (that got pretty beaten up last year) is in pretty good shape aside from a puddle or two that haven't drained. And the Queen E, kinsmen and U stuff is all fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Yeah, I'd stay away from the east section right below scona rd/sask dr for awhile. They've added some ladders in a few of the bad spots, but it was just no fun and racing must have stunk. The other eastern stuff that's between the river and the paved trail (that got pretty beaten up last year) is in pretty good shape aside from a puddle or two that haven't drained. And the Queen E, kinsmen and U stuff is all fine.
    ya, that how it looked during the race as well. West Coast Trail and Pigs Back took the worst of the punishment and were for the most part unrideable. Everything else I was able to ride other than a few climbs that were a bit too greasy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow jkirkpatri I love the glacier pics! Too bad we dont have any of those in Edmonton :P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast