Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton Riding - Spring 2011

Spring is about a month late to Edmonton this year, going by the calendar. Got out today with a fellow rider and hit Mill Creek down to Dawson Creek bridge and back again, covering both sides of the river. Some snow patches and runoff still here and there, but overall, good riding conditions. The creek is really high still and there's a lot of runoff, but lots of the trails are actually dusty dry.

Some pictures:
    MILL CREEK

DAWSON BRIDGE AREA:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Got out today with a fellow rider and hit Mill Creek down to Dawson Creek bridge and back again, covering both sides of the river.
    Cutting our trip a bit short, don't you think? We went to 50th street foot bridge and back...
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Double-metric mtb man
    Amazing the difference in a couple weeks. A couple weeks ago I was down in Mill Creek on the Cake for one last ride, and you couldn't get to those areas it was so snowy / muddy.

Glad to see that when the DT is built up, the trails should be close to ready
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    Cutting our trip a bit short, don't you think? We went to 50th street foot bridge and back...
    Too busy hacking, wheezing, hitting trees with my bars, etc to notice much of where we went. Just be thankful that I figured out how to post the pics without having to provide a link!

mtbr member
    It's funny, because some sections of trail are so dry and parched that I'd swear it's august. And then you turn a corner and there's snow followed by 4" deep mud. Hopefully the rain will help things out a bit.

mtbr member
    Went out again last night and rode most of the Canada Cup course as well as upper and middle Ewok and bits of Mill Creek. I can't believe how dry the trails are considering how much snow was still on the ground 3 weeks ago. GET OUT AND RIDE!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the updates, guys! I'll be out in Mill Creek tonight with a newb rider friend of mine - good to know the trails are mostly good to go.

mtbr member
    I've been further west of that - off keillor, hawrelak, mckinnon, groat, victoria's secret, and the UofA. Most of it is dry, but expect a surprise mudhole anywhere that's low or heavily shaded.

West of the UofA is still pretty bad. Between the High Level and the UofA cooling plant is good, but west of the cooling plant towards groat there's still lots of snow. Easy enough to ride, but mucky and unpredictable.

edited to add - around mckinnon is a bit iffy too. That nice little downhill off of ravine drive is dry for about the first half, but then it turns into mudcity for the bottom half. I rode it on monday, but probably should have given it a few more days.
    Last edited by newfangled; 05-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Double-metric mtb man
    Patricia was pretty bad when I was last out there on the Cx bike (read glacier on the MUTs).

Hopefully I'll have the DT built up before too long so I can get it (and the armor I recently purchased) a little use.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    There was apparently a big grass fire in Mckinnon either yesterday or today. It was down in the ravine part and didn't get into the trees, but near the west end a pretty huge chunk is all fried. Really dry out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow Kinsmen is actually drier now then it was most of last summer.

mtbr member
    Queen Elizabeth Park video update from the UC crew yesterday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_D7oxUpZqs

EMBA Board member
    Nice Video Looks like a good ride where is that Trail head Street/ave?

Also figured I would throw a line out on here and see if anyone is interested in becoming more involved with either EMBA or the Bicycle skills park project(circus ninja training facility).
    EMBA's website is down but we are not. However we do need more people.to get involved and volunteer.

mtbr member
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.525...,0.005322&z=18

I tried to link the map right into the post, but it moved the "A" maker. The link is working, though.

mtbr member
    It's the new trail that was put in a couple years ago for the Canada Cup course.

EMBA Board member
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    It's the new trail that was put in a couple years ago for the Canada Cup course.
    When you say this I just instantly think of the one below kinsmen I had a hand in helping with. but this is farther up and farther south east. Will have to give it a try when I get my bike back together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How are the trail conditions at Terwillegar Park? Has anybody gone riding there recently? I have the 2010 "Perogy XC" course saved on my Garmin GPS so I was thinking of riding it this Sunday if its rideable.

Thanks !
    Paul

mtbr member
    Hit the trails again last night with three other riders. Started at Mill Creek pool and went down to the Canada Cup course, over to Victoria's Secret, and back again. Trails are in real nice shape. There's obviously snow on the connected multi trail path from Kinsmen to Emily Murphy park, but nothing too crazy. 25km worth of riding with no real mud bogs found. Some spring run off here and there, but that's water flow for the most part, not mud flow.

2UTH DR - have not yet been to Terwilliger, but the first Fat Tire race is there this upcoming Tuesday. I'm sure others will pipe in, including myself, after that race with a report on Terwilliger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Went out last night too, thannks on the "trail-readiness heads-up".

Trails were in great shape from kinsman to waste water treatment plant.

Now if I can just get my saddle and post to stop creaking

mtbr member
    Based on other trail conditions in the city, I suspect Terwillegar should be perfectly fine to ride. There will most likely be a few wet spots on the trail that comes from the south hill that empties onto the access road but everything else should be dry.

mtbr member
    Fat Tire Tuesdays start May 10th

http://t.co/MeSFV8n

mtbr member
    Last night's Fat Tire Tuesday race at Terwilliger was awesome, to say the least. Terwilliger is in perfect shape for riding. There's a bit of dust and definately no mud holes or mud spots. There was a lot more riders out last night for the race than I thought there'd be, and for good reason.

Paul - there's no reason why you can't hit Terwilliger this Sunday.

mtbr member
    Yup - the course last night was in great condition. With next-to-no training all winter and only a handul of rides so far in 2011, it goes without saying that the course kicked my @ss yesterday. Good times! I am looking forward to next week - with a few more rides in my legs things should be looking much better.

mtbr member
    Gord, have you been riding the new SS? How's it been treating you?

I'm finding I can tackle about 95% of what I can geared, but there are a few sections that are just not happening. Steep and really long, or really steep with no room to buildup momentum beforehand both have me walking.

mtbr member
    I am loving the SS! I am geared at 32-18 and I cleaned all the climbs on the CC course and I made all the climbs in Terwillegar on Fat Tire Tuesday. The long steep climb on the SW end of the park I did end up walking a few times but I was able to clean it the first time around. There are 3 climbs on upper Ewok that I can't make. All in all I think I am geared just about right. I have only been on the bike 7 times in the past 3 months so I figure that I will eventually be in shape enough to push a bit bigger gear. I ordered a 33t ring from HBC and perhaps by the time it arrives I might be in shape - right now my legs are screaming for me to stop before I start breathing heavy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast