mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Edmonton Fatbike rental?

Anybody know if there's a shop that rents fatbikes in Edmonton in the winter? I live in Las Vegas but am coming to Edmonton to visit family during Christmas. I've never rode a fatbike, but would love to try one in real snow.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there isn't.

The only bike rental places are:

Bike Rentals ? Edmonton Bicycle Commuters' Society
    River Valley Adventure Co. - Segway Tours, Segway Sales located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

One of the shops used to do rentals as well, but I think they stopped (and I can't even remember which shop it was)

For a winter city it took a long time for fatbikes to show up here (last year was the first time I saw more than one or two). But even with that, they're still really rare.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll check, but doesn't sound promising. If I moved back to Canada, my first purchase would be a fat bike. It's not as though there's good skiing super close to Edmonton. I was hoping there might even be an Edmonton fat bike group, but that doesn't sound likely yet.

mtbr member
    We'll have snow for 6 months of the year, but we don't get huge dumps of snow compared to Ontario, Quebec or the Northeast US. I definitely want to try a fatbike, but for our conditions studded tires are probably more useful more of the time.

I think that's why fatbikes have been slow to take off here, even if they look supercool. (also, there's a huge markup on Surlys in Canada. I seriously looked at getting a Pugs 3 or 4 years ago, and it was going to be $2400 stock. The new brands will hopefully make things more accessible)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll check, but doesn't sound promising. If I moved back to Canada, my first purchase would be a fat bike. It's not as though there's good skiing super close to Edmonton. I was hoping there might even be an Edmonton fat bike group, but that doesn't sound likely yet.
    There's an interclub group that rides Sundays. Most of them have fatbikes now. I think there might be 6-8 regulars who ride on fatbikes.

The biggest issue with fatbikes, other than the cost, is the availability of rims and tires. Last year, rim and tire stocks that supplied the OEM's sold out in February, if I remember correctly. With Trek, Specialized, Norco, etc now offering their own fatbikes, you can expect that the bigger OEMs will looks to make their own rims and tires, thus negating the limited availability of the current crop of rims and tires (Surly, I think?).

Bicycle Obsessed
    There is a shop in Calgary that rents Fatbikes (bikebike.ca). It might be worth dropping them a note to see if they know of someone who rents in Edmonton. Sean is very involved in the bike community and might just know where you might find something.

The other route is talk to Redbike in Edmonton. I don't think they rent but also may know where you can find one.

Lastly, there is an Alberta Fatbiking google group that a lot of us belong too. Check out https://plus.google.com/communities/...25364237042045 and maybe post to see if someone can help you out.

Hope you find something...it's a blast!
    Last edited by jpettit; 11-06-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
    There is a shop in Calgary that rents Fatbikes (bikebike.ca). It might be worth dropping them a note to see if they know of someone who rents in Edmonton. Sean is very involved in the bike community and might just know where you might find something.

The other route is talk to Redbike in Edmonton. I don't think they rent but also may know where you can find one.

Lastly, there is an Alberta Fatbiking google group that a lot of us belong too. Check out https://plus.google.com/communities/...25364237042045 and maybe post to see if someone can help you out.

Hope you find something...it's a blast!
    Thanks jpettit! That's most helpful and more promising. I'll check out Redbike, bikebike.ca and the google group you mention. Going to be in Edmonton for 10 days and I might get desperate not being able to ride something for that long (I ride almost every day year round in the desert where I live).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you make it to Jasper during your 10 day trip to Edmonton there are rentals...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    If you make it to Jasper during your 10 day trip to Edmonton there are rentals...
    Where in Jasper rents fatbikes? Thanks a lot of this. The shop in Calgary mentioned above doesn't rent bikes in the winter and there's nothing in Edmonton. Probably a bit too much of a drive from Edmonton, but good to know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Only 4 hours with a stop. Sack up! Several good trails for the fatbikes... Freewheel Cycle

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    Only 4 hours with a stop. Sack up! Several good trails for the fatbikes... Freewheel Cycle
    I'll give them a ring today. No mention of fatbike, or even winter-bike, rentals on their website, but not surprising that some bike shops have have some non-advertised stuff available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    chris and wendy are good folk in jasper at freewheel.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.