mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016

Time to start the Fall/Winter thread.

Finally the ground is frozen.
    Trails were riding awesome on the weekend.
    Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016-p5pb14169716.jpg

mtbr member
    Definitely nice to be back on the trails again. With all the slime, I think this is the worst fall that I can remember.

For anyone interested in some random winter minutia:

mtbr member
    Trails are in great shape!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016-20161120_141432.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How is it that you always get to ride in the daylight? I never seem to see the sun....!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016-front-wheel-dark-chain-lube-1024x757.jpg  

mtbr member
    Weekend rides! Trails are still in super shape, arguably better than they were in summer.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the name of the new trail along Grandview?

mtbr member
    ^not sure.

Trails are still in great shape. Mill Creek single track from the pool north (those three sections before you cross the paved path) are super rutted from bikes creating significant ruts this past October. They're in really bad shape and that one tree that fell across the trail just after the pool parking lot is still there. Everywhere else was great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016-20161130_193006-1-.jpg  

Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016-20161130_201131-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    There are a lot of places that got smashed by idiots riding in the wet. Most trails will need at least a handful of corners fixed. Pogey / Potluck / Wally are going to need to be cleaned up almost top to bottom. We'll have to try to get some big crews out while everything is still wet next spring and it's easy to rake all the corners out.

If we just leave it to the 'full time' trail fairies they'll all find a new hobby. There's a lot of work out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ This. It's so sad how bad some the trails are.

Also hello Winter! Highs of about -20 for ~2 weeks, yikes.

mtbr member
    Rode Mill Creek last night and it was virtually a skating rink on every trail. Even with studs, it was sketchy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Everything from that little ski hill by the Yellowhead trail to the Rowland bridge was pretty hazardous as well. I even took a dirty tumble!

mtbr member
    I've had a studded tire fail again. I've never ever had another tire with a sidewall failure, but for this particular model I've had 4 separate catastrophic failures in the last few years. They keep sending me warranty replacements, and those just keep on failing. And now we're into ice season, and I probably won't get a replacement until spring. And this happens every year. It's super annoying.

Anyway, if it seems like a pretty snow-free year...

Most of what we got was back in October, which all quickly melted off. December was pretty normal, but November and January were low. And February is normally a pretty low month for snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've torn out sidewalls before as well, I figure it's a combination of lower pressure + more traction + too much horsepower. Or perhaps it's just that they have made the sidewall too thin in an effort to make the tire light. Probably the latter, but you know it always feels a bit better (The best when it's about -27) when you tell yourself it's all that power you're putting down.

mtbr member
    Not torn. Garbage quality control.

I've had two tires where the sidewalls turned to swisscheese - 6 of these things spontaneously opened up.

And now I've had two tires where the sidewall tore away from the bead, with maybe 200km on the tires.

It's weird, because I seem to be the only one having these problems. And they have been good about replacements in the past. But at this point, I'd rather just have a tire I can rely on. (while I was waiting for a warranty replacement 2 years ago I bought a 45nrth, and I don't have to worry about that one spontaneously combusting)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You can see how thin the rubber is on the sidewalls. The ones that gave up on me looked the same, they were Continental Something or other Kings. I just don't get them anymore. I'm with you, I just want to ride, preferably with as little trouble and drama as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Rode Mill Creek last night and it was virtually a skating rink on every trail. Even with studs, it was sketchy.
    With the little bit of new snow I took my completely unstudded bike out to Millcreek and the other central stuff, and it's all good again.

Had one washout on snow on icy roots on westcoast trail, but I should have known better.

mtbr member
    As nice as this weather is, the long weekend is going to be super crummy for riding, huh?

Thought some people might like this comparison of snowdepths over the last few years:

Fatbikes really took off here about 3 years ago, but all 3 years have been pretty low for snow. And for trivia, so far this winter Vancouver has gotten more snow (65.6cm) than Edmonton (64.2cm).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes I figure conditions will be less than stellar. Although I'm sure earlier in the morning you could brave the ice and ruts if you were so inclined!
    Pretty cool animation!

mtbr member
    ^ It was 5C at 6AM this morning, so I dunno about that. But yeah, the weekend is supposed to be cooler, so by then it'll probably just be a whole lot of ice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So the trails are a complete skating rink. I really hope it snows 15-30cm in the next week but I think the chances of that happening are right around zero.

mtbr member
    Cannot wait for spring to get here.

mtbr member
    Ya I totally lost interest in winter biking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I actually hit the trails today after work, and the keillor area (on the weekend I couldn't even walk on it, even though I had spiky shoes) was decent on my unstudded bike. So that's something.

And I have no idea if anyone's actually interested in these graphs, but the big melt usually starts in the next week or two:

And right now we're really low (this was from before the snow on the weekend, so since then we've jumped up to 3cm):

mtbr member
    Hey Newfangled, keep those graphs coming. I find them interesting!

My KoldKutter DIY setup failed again this year, so I think I'm going to give up on it. Since my fatbike is too small for me, I've decided that I'm going to sell it and pick up a gazillion Gripstuds and make my Stache 29+ all prickly and use it next winter. The Stache fits me better and the Gripstuds work fairly well, although not nearly as well as the KoldKutters, but reliability is paramount.

mtbr member
    Indeed, the historical data is rad! I'm interested from a cross country ski perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I've decided that I'm going to sell it and pick up a gazillion Gripstuds and make my Stache 29+ all prickly and use it next winter.
    I'm really holding out hope for the Arisun Sharktooth 29x2.8. Apparently a few people got them this year, because there are a few photos floating around out there. I'm going to need a replacement studded tire for next year anyway (although I did get my warranty replacement for the trashed one) so I'll probably give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Took the unstudded bike to millcreek and all the central stuff today, and had a decent ride.

The one terrible trail was the brewery loop by the walterdale, which was all glare ice with fresh snow ontop. I couldn't ride or walk that. But I'd been expecting a lot of that, and the brewery trail was the only bad one. (I didn't try skyline, since it's too sketchy after melts)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Happy first day of Spring everyone.

Trails were surprisingly good on the weekend. Road Saturday afternoon from Millcreek west to Hawrelak Park Area. Was really impressed with single track, for the most part things were firm and grippy. Some slushy sections, some icy sections but really nothing to complain about.

Also checked out the Slush cup Fat bike events at the Edmonton Ski Club on Saturday. The event was pretty great. It was slick getting hauled back up to the top of the hill via t-bar.

mtbr member

Edmonton Fall/Winter 2016

Everyone time to bounce over to the new spring/ summer thread started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by funnyjr; 04-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.