Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    rides with camera

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

Peak Season from Yeti Cycles on Vimeo.

I think it's time to retire the Spring thread as it is October in just a few days. The last couple posts there was reference to the dynamic trail conditions out there lately. I concur, it's awesome out there, this is the best time of the year to ride a bike. Post some picks, give some advice, ask some questions. That's what these Edmonton threads are all about.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Where can I find a trail like this?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Colorado is my guess.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Got out with Hardcore last night. Trails were in primo shape. Any rain that we had on Sunday was instantly sucked up by the trails. Ride went through Dirty Mattress, Old Timer's, Victoria's Secret, Route 66, down through Laurier Park, over to the Equine Centre. No mud, no mosquitoes, no dangling green worms, and the trails are easily 50% wider due to the falling leaves.

Had some ice crystals in the air that were on the verge of turning to snow or rain at about 8:30pm, but whatever cloud was generating those crystals moved on. Weather was good. Spooked the horses at the Equine Centre (not on purpose, but moving lights in the dark, bzzzzz of rear hubs is going to spook the animals).

Coyotes were howling around 7:30 down by the Kinsmen.

All in all, great ride! Night riding is pretty cool in a larger group.

rides with camera
    Yep, that's Colorado. Not a heck of a lot of Edmonton Fall videos out there of that quality...

I got as close to a coyote as I could in Terwillegar yesterday. I would move 5 yards towards him and he would move 20 away. Lots of people with off leash small dogs who didn't even notice him, it was kinda funny. He seemed more interested in me and the mice he was trying to catch.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member

What are the red posts in Terwillegar?

Hi, does anyone know what those red posts in terwillegar are for?
    Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13-photo-1-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13-photo-1-.jpg  

Last edited by zeroderby; 10-06-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: rotating the picture

mtbr member
    No idea what those posts are for.

Got yesterday for probably the best day of riding this year when you consider trail conditions, temperature, trail coverage, etc (sorry, Ken). You'd be hard pressed to know that it rained last Monday to Wednesday. Trails were in great shape. No wet mud, no wet leaves, no wet roots, and no dust.

Dirty Mattress, Canada Cup, Old Timers, Rowland, Andres Climb, Upper and Mid Ewok all in superb shape. Tonight's group ride should be excellent too!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I went out on friday at lunch at it was slimy and gross, and I was pretty worried for the weekend. But by the ride home that night things had dried up nicely, and it was a pretty good weekend.

There are a few of those red posts around the valley. My favourite is right next to the Keillor slide. I assume they're a power connection fed from a storm tunnel somewhere, but I really have no idea.

I've been rocking dropbars on my 29er for the last week. It's kindof a goofy setup (needing a 35deg stem, and I'm still super stretched out) but it's definitely an interesting experience.

Last edited by newfangled; 10-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    Hi, does anyone know what those red posts in terwillegar are for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	837275

They have the same posts out by my parents place outside of the city. Out there they are used for taking ground water samples because there is an abandoned garbage dump and they want to know what is leeching into the ground water from all the buried garbage. The posts go about 20ft deep.

mtbr member
    Last night's group ride was great. Trail conditions superb. We got caught in the rain, but didn't really impact the riding until we hit Old Timer's around 8:30pm. The rain made things a bit slick, but not too slick.

Came across couple of teenagers getting it on in Ewok. I guess next time, they'll be sure to do their business OFF the path not ON the path!

One guy broke his chain, so that's two Monday night rides with a rider breaking a chain on each night.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    A few years ago I was riding under the bridge to Strathcona Science Park and came across a pick up truck with a guy chewing down on his female partner. They sure looked startled.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Giddy up time:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The city is planning to turn some of the natural trails in Terwillegar into 3 metre wide gravel trails. Where ever you see the red posts on the trails in Terwillegar, the city contractor is doing soils testing and collecting geotechnical information so those trails are in danger of being destroyed (like the city did when they put in the paved trail going to the Henday bridge).

mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

New steps carved into a steep section in Ewok...

mtbr member
    Trails are in great shape, but crossing the newly opened QE park road sure is garbage. It's been bad enough waiting forever at the kinsmen for the light to change, but now there's also the stupidest crosswalk in the city to deal with. I've got to change my loops around.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got out this morning Old Timers to Ewok and back. Took Newfangled's advice and dropped in at dirty mattress instead of crossing through the gong show across from. Kinsmen. Trails are in great shape.

I'm always amazed in the fall at how much crap there is in the forest beyond the trail. Old clothes, tarps etc. that you don't notice when the leaves are up. The number of people sleeping in the river valley is also astounding, you never know they're there in the middle of the summer. Think I scared the crap out of a few hobos as I rode past

mtbr member
    Was the green tent still setup at the end of dirty mattress, the one RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL?!?

Got out yesterday - saw three tents setup, one of them right in the middle of the Canada Cup trail, the others way off trail towards Ewok.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha no! But I would have soiled myself if I came to the bottom and ran into that.

I did see a giant green 6-8 person tent on my way back to old-timers. It was pitched right on the side of the trail behind the chain-link fence that is still 'closed due to flooding' leading to the river Queen from Ewok. Heard movement in there too. Maybe it's the same tent and he/she decided it was a good idea to move out from the bottom of a fast moving bike trail.

I wonder if the city ever cracks down on those guys, I mean that tent was enormous, bright, and hard to miss.

mtbr member
    I did see bike cops checking out a campsite on Victoria Secret awhile back. It was kind of funny, because they'd locked their bikes up on Victoria promenade and then walked down. But I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for the police to be seen hitting the singletrack.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Shame... In my mind riding the singletrack would be the best part about being a bike cop.

mtbr member
    The green tent is still there. When you come out of dirty mattress, it's right smack in the middle of the trail. Saw three new tents last night as well. Those tents are way off trail (and could have been there all year, who knows), but the one tent right in the middle of the trail is a bit much.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I saw two bike cops riding their police bikes on the singletrack around old timer's this summer. We passed each other so we didn't get time to talk, but in passing I said 'you guys get to ride trails, too?' and one of them replied 'of course!'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    The green tent is still there. When you come out of dirty mattress, it's right smack in the middle of the trail. Saw three new tents last night as well. Those tents are way off trail (and could have been there all year, who knows), but the one tent right in the middle of the trail is a bit much.
    It was still there Sunday Oct. 21.
    I was surprised at how many tents are out there. Us night riders are really going to start bothering people.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got out today Old timer's to ewok, spent some time just past wayne Gretzky bridge. It was my first time there and aside from the stench (does it normally smell that bad there? Like raw sewage?) had a great time. Rode back home via equine centre.

I Skipped the singletrack linking Hawrelak to Keillor, last time I was there was before the flood and it was SUPER sketchy. Anyone know if it is still rideable?

Lots of trees down by the river queen: could be beavers? The wind on Saturday? The tent dwellers? There's a neat little feature around there with two ladder bridges over a log leading into a fun downhill. It's now inaccessible with so many trees fallen.

Tents are still everywhere. I'd love to know who these people are. Are they all homeless, or are some people camping out? Either way, I'm not going to ask, I'm a little scared of them. I have to admit that I ride a bit faster when I see a tent by the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrich View Post
    I Skipped the singletrack linking Hawrelak to Keillor, last time I was there was before the flood and it was SUPER sketchy. Anyone know if it is still rideable?
    Sortof. There's some sketchy bits to the north that have dropped and shifted, but are still hanging on. A little further south there's a new line that avoids some of the other super sketchy stuff that used to be blocked off with a snow fence. And then as you get closer to the Keillor slide there are some holes/crevasses that need a dismount. I wouldn't be surprised if it all disappears if we get another good flood.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast