Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

Jamming too many extra large slurpee cups will do that to the bar 😝

I remember those bars on my bike back in the day. Served as a perfect slush holder, could ride with no hands eating a bag of old Dutch chips and simply bend over to get an instant brain freeze. Surprising never wiped out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi guys. Just picked up a fat bike here in Edmonton. Mostly I ride east from Mackinnon ravine. I was wondering about trail etiquette at Hawrelak? One trail at river is groomed for XC and other trail is marked 'no bikes'. I suspect that is more for summer when horses are on the trail. Rode my 29'er on the XC trail last year and angered a few skiers (kind of understand as I do that myself on occasion). My tendency is to ride the 'no bikes' trail in winter. Thoughts??

mtbr member
    In the winter I always ride the no-bikes/horse trail, and avoid ski trail. My "excuse" is that it's my commuting route (regardless of whether I happen to be commuting at that moment) and the horsetrail (although I've never seen a horse or evidence of a horse, summer or winter) is the lesser of two evils. If I do happen to see someone walking or running I yield or hop over into the unbroken snow.

I think the only dirty looks I've gotten are from the birdpeople - the ones who stand motionless in the middle of the trail with birdseed trying to get a picture of birds eating out of their hands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Thanks. I plan to do the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I finally rode the trail on the north side of the river from Mackinnon ravine to Laurier park. I tried before in the summer and it was a nightmare but it's in excellent condition now!

mtbr member
    ^ good news. The half of it that's closest to mckinnon can get crazily icy during the winter. Were you out in the -25 stuff this weekend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Yeah I got out today for just over an hour. My feet are the limiting factor and I may have to switch to flats.
    I have tried that section before on my 29er but it was too icy. Only one small section was icy today and the rest was rideable. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
    My feet are the limiting factor and I may have to switch to flats.
    I'm not sure there's any solution for cold feet. I run flats, and after an hour they're like giant heatsinks. I've been thinking about trying a plastic/nylon flat for winter riding, but the trick is finding one with good, replaceable pins. Something like this or this.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'm not sure there's any solution for cold feet. I run flats, and after an hour they're like giant heatsinks. I've been thinking about trying a plastic/nylon flat for winter riding, but the trick is finding one with good, replaceable pins. Something like this or this.
    After years of fighting cold feet...I finally went with Shimano winter boots first MW 80's for four years now MW 81s for the last three....I can get 40 minutes at -36C with a single pair of thermal socks

What is really nice when you hit an ice puddle the water roosts up and splashs the boot you can feel the impact but no wetness and no coldness....

They are a cleated boot....

I liked the MW80 better but the MW 81 is good as well.

They are also great for mountain tops etc in the summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I can get 40 minutes at -36C with a single pair of thermal socks
    I don't have troubles on my ~30min commute, but "fun" rides at -25C are limited to about an hour and a half at which point my feet head rapidly downhill. Over christmas I did buy some neoprene booties from the Running Room that I'm hoping might work well as a wind/vapour barrier layer. I hid at home this weekend, but I should have gone for a ride just to test them out.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying these boots last year Specialized Bicycle Components. If I use a hiking sock liner, a thermal heat pad, and wool socks over top, my toes stay pretty warm. I think the coldest I was out this year was last Saturday night. My toes were a-okay for about an hour and fifteen minute ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have some Northwave Arctic GTX I bought last year and they are pretty good with a heating pad over my toes. I can get about 90 minutes out of that setup if it isn't too cold.
    I also put some Pearl Izumi softshell overbooties on when it was -23 and that improved things a bit. I probably would look at those 45NRTH boots if I hadn't bought new ones last year. Not sure how much riding below -20 I plan to do yet...

mtbr member
    I apparently consider heatpacks cheating, although I don't know why. I always carry some with me, but they're supposed to be a last resort and I would never think of popping them in before a ride. And this is really dumb, because now I have a whole bunch of them that are approaching their best-before date since I never actually use them. Maybe I'll warm my toes for the rest of the winter.

mtbr member
    I find that if I wait until my toes are cold, it's too late. The toe warmers are what gets me through a ride. Better to have the toe warmer and being able to ride versus not riding at all. Funny that my toes are cold but my fingers are usually warm.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My Lake winter shoes are good down to -17, below that an my feet got pretty cold. The very experienced manager or owner at a Winnipeg lbs told me that sometimes you just have to get off and walk or run to get the blood flowing back into your feet. It works.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Got out last night for a couple of hours at Terwilliger Park. All trails there are in superb shape. Snow was a bit soft as it was a bit warm, but the trails were still pretty good. Fireman's was good all the way up to the steep downhill section that you take after coming out of the single track. Hill was loose and after about 6 feet I put the bike in the snow bank and then proceeded to slide down the hill on my ass (snow pants). Made for a super fun, uncontrolled decent!

The roller coaster trail that takes you to the paved path was all good. Lots of low hanging branches to be wary of, and one tree over the trail right near the paved trail.

If the temperature was about 5 degrees cooler, the trails would have been that much better. Given it was night time, minimal people were out as well. Definitely the best trails in Edmonton that I've experienced this winter.

mtbr member
    Yeah, a few posts back I was saying that winter riding in November and December is not my favorite thing, and not something I can really recommend. But now it's a new year, there's a little more daylight, the temperatures have warmed up (even if it's maybe a little too warm), and all the trails have a nice consolidated base - it's prime riding.

I did the keillor slide area earlier this week, and it was better than during the summer because all of the giant ruts and crevasses are filled with snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Do you access that from the pedestrian bridge at Hawrelak?

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah, but it's a bit south. Specifically to get to the slide I would start here and head south.

If you need to orient yourself that spot is directly west of the big set of stairs that come down from Sask Drive.

You could also start here starting from the mup and head north, but that end is harder to find.

It's kindof a goofy trail because sections of it are always collapsing, and it wasn't much fun last summer because it has a bunch of new holes in it. But right now it's in pretty good shape, and is just generally a nice spot. And it connects to the Equine Centre trail which is in good shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Thanks. I know where you are talking about. I am pretty sure I have been through there a few summers ago. I plan to do a loop from Mackinnon through Hawrelak/Belgravia and back the north side of the river. Should be good on the fatbike this weekend!

mtbr member
    Got out for three hours on Sunday. The single track that runs from Hawrelak Park to Keillor Road, and the single track that takes you from Keillor Road to the equine centre is in superb shape. The trail system reminds me of a bobsled track. The path is well packed, rideable by all tire sizes, and is smooth and rolling. Definitely a good section to ride.

Mill Creek is good as well, but a bit harder given that some of the single track is off camber versus the Keillor Road section that is relatively level.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What's with that guy camped near the entrance to Dirty Mattress? He had a large dirty teddy bear laying on the trail and I beat it out of there quickly when I heard rustling inside the tarps. Anyone ever concerned for their safety around these folks?

mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

Post removed
    Last edited by funnyjr; 01-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just call the city of edmonton - parks and recreation dept. They deal with this all the time, and actually do stuff about it.

There is no point to escalating this with a machette. Really bad advice funnyjr.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Machete? Jesus christ.

The only time I've felt unsafe was when I ran into a large group of teenagers drinking on the trail. In my experience bums want to be left alone, at worst they'll ask you for a cigarette.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast