Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    I'll commute regardless (lowest is -32) but when it's below -25 I'm heading straight to and from work with zero goofing around.

For weekend rides I'll probably be motivated to go if it's -23ish, but after about 1.5hours my feet get cold. I should remember to try the heatpacks this weekend.

In trails news, watch out for icy sections. You're just riding along, and you come to a little downhill, and you see there's a square meter of ice that's been exposed because someone else has fallen, and you don't know how much of the snow around it is also just ice...I've come really close to biting it a few times.

mtbr member
    I think -20 would be my wuss out temperature. Coldest I went was -15 but with a real bad wind chill. Tomorrow looks to be around -18 in the morning, so I'll be heading out to Terwilliger Park for 9:30am for an hour or so ride, maybe more.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'll commute regardless (lowest is -32) but when it's below -25 I'm heading straight to and from work with zero goofing around.
    I'm curious as to what you wear to keep you feet warm. ???
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    ^ if I actually tried to optimize my footwear I'm sure that I could do a better job.

But in winter I wear some oversized, lowtop hiking boots that I bought from Winners for $50, and a bunch of socks. My socks are basically a work/thermal sock layer, a neoprene bootie (just got these to cut wind, and they seem to work okay but aren't magic), and another work/thermal sock. And I wear old socks with the toes cut out as leg warmers, which help a lot.

That's worked fine for 30min commutes below -30, and about 1.5 hours below -20. If I bought some actual winter boots I'm sure I'd do much better though.

Edited to add:

Hmmm, maybe I should actually buy some real boots? Was out for about 2 hours today on the fixie, and the feet were definitely saying it was time to go home even though the rest of me was feeling fine.
    Last edited by newfangled; 02-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Level 5 Rider!
    As a guy who used to work for 11 hours in a -22C environment all year round... let me just say to those who are dressing for cold. DO NOT OVERDRESS! This is especially true for the feet I have found. It causes you to sweat and that in turn will make your feet 20 times colder than they would have been otherwise. If your feet are just a touch cold, this is way better than being too warm.

Just something to think about as regarding the above post.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    I figure this is worth posting since it's Edmonton and winter and bikes:

2014 Winter Bike to Work Day

Check out the moonlander with apehangers. I've seen him a number of times, but finally got a chance to chat.

mtbr member
    Got out last night with Gord962 and did some night riding in the ravine from 50 Street and about 32 Avenue up to just before Jackie Parker Park. Is this the Mill Creek ravine still, just an extension south of the Whitemud? I don't know, but riding in this particular ravine in the winter is a lot of fun (probably boring in the summer). Snow conditions were superb, no ice anywhere, and only one dog walker out.

If anybody is looking for a good place to ride, I'd recommend this park area. No fatbike required for the most part. Night riding here is better than day light riding, just due to the lack of trail activity. No technical riding, just nice snow hard pack.

You can see where the MUT enters the trees just north of Minchau Park.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=edmont...6&z=18&iwloc=A

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I rode through the Canada Cup trails behind the Old Timer's Cabin yesterday. Right in the middle of the trail was a guy next to his 'camp' working on his bikes. He must have had 3-4 frames, a bunch of wheels/tires and parts lying all over the place. It was a mess. I kind of picked up, carried my bike over and kept riding. He sort of apologized but I wasn't going to stick around to chat as I suspect a lot of these guys are armed.

Anyhow, I think I will call the City next week and see if this sort of thing can be cleaned up.

mtbr member
    ^ I think that's the teddybear guy? He's got garbage everywhere.

Had a nice ride on Rowland today. Cadillac is okay, although I don't know that I'll ever really like it as a winter trail. UpperEwok was pretty good, but the collapsed section in the middle is nasty - I got off my bike and did an out-of-control slide down on my butt. Kinsmen is finally rideable, although kindof crummy.

Oh, and the city has marked off trees on the west end of the ironbridge and is supposed to start tree removal and bridge construction soon. I'm assuming the southend of the groat rollercoaster will be blocked for the next two years but hopefully a reroute will be possible? And hopefully victoria secret will be okay since it has the other entrance a little further away from the bridge.
    Last edited by newfangled; 02-17-2014 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Not sure about anyone else, but I hid at home most of the weekend.

But on friday I did take the groat rollercoaster for the first time in forever, and got to the south end to discover that the city had already started tree removal. It was blocked with brush, but backtracking about 30' I followed someone else's track and hiked my way up.

mtbr member
    I did the Devon Blizzard race this past Saturday. A bit cold, but nothing too crazy. The snow was very granular and as such, quite slippery on the turns, even though the snow had been packed down. Fun "race". No real chances of passing until you were out of the bushes and onto the service road for about 200 meters. I just hung back and let all the fast guys get out on the trail, and then just followed the wheel in front of me (until that rider wiped, then I could pass ).

Going to get out tonight after work for a short ride.

mtbr member
    ^ was attendance at the race good?

And do you know if that's the same winter race they were trying to launch a few years ago that kept having bad luck with the weather, or is it a new group? There are so many more fatbikes this year that I'm sure there'd be a lot more interest than there used to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    But on friday I did take the groat rollercoaster for the first time in forever, and got to the south end to discover that the city had already started tree removal. It was blocked with brush, but backtracking about 30' I followed someone else's track and hiked my way up.
    I saw that from 102 Ave yesterday. Is that for bridge reconstruction? It's too bad about that. I suspect that trail has been there for a very long time. I guess it needs a new entrance from that end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ was attendance at the race good?

And do you know if that's the same winter race they were trying to launch a few years ago that kept having bad luck with the weather, or is it a new group? There are so many more fatbikes this year that I'm sure there'd be a lot more interest than there used to be.
    I thought that the attendance was great! There was 25 total fat bike riders and 17 "other" riders. Considering the weather, it was a good turnout. Not sure if this is the same race they tried to get started in previous years or not. I'll be there next year for sure.

Got out last night. Mill Creek is in great shape. The upper section of Mill Creek by the frog pond all the way to the paved trail that takes you up and over Conner's Road is a bit dicey in some spots. You can see the ice below the snow in a bunch of spots.

Did on single track trail in Old Timer's. Trails are good, but quite rutted with tire crevices, and a bit icy. I would imagine that normal size tires could get caught in the ruts quite easily. Lots of homeless people in there too.

Despite being really cold, the trails overall are in good shape. The snow isn't compacting too nicely with the ice underlay, but once the weather warms up, there'll be some cohesion that's currently missing.

mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

Riding around on fatbike today. Did Canada cup trails, old timers, mill creek, Ewok . What a blast it was to get out and ride. I even went out again in the evening but as temps dipped my feet froze. Wearing Shimano MW80 with Smartwool socks. If wasn't for frozen feet my ride could of lasted much longer. Bought some neoprene booties but extreme pain in the ass to get over my Shimano MW80's. Trying to figure out if Shimano MW80 vs Regular riding shoes with Neoprene booties which option is warmer? I really don't think the Shimano winter boots are meant for Canadian winters period. Wolfhammer's are too damn expensive and so are the Lakes. Man can't someone make a decent spd compatible boot that's extremely warm but somewhat reasonable in price and available.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue last night. I could have stayed out for another hour, but my toes were frozen. I have Specialized winter spd "boots" and I think that they are really only good up to minus 5 degrees.

mtbr member
    I think it's just really hard to keep a cyclist's foot warm for long periods of time. I run flats so I can try plenty of different boot and sock combos, and my feet are always the limiting factor. I max out at about 1.5 hours below -20ish, even if the rest of me is nice and toasty. Short of Sorel's with spds I don't think there will be a much better solution than using an oversized shoe with plenty of layers of socks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My feet are the only part of me that gets cold during most rides, and are usual what makes me call it a day
    When my feet start to get cold, I just get off the bike and walk for a little bit. That warms my feet right up.
    Also, to slow the 'cooling' of my feet/toes, I tend to wiggle my toes/repeatedly clench my foot like a fist a lot while riding to keep the blood flowing.
    Without doing both these, your feet dont really move at all while cycling, and without the blood flowing, they get cold much easier.

mtbr member

Did all this yesterday but feet still succumbed to the frigid temps. Read about the Wolfhammer's and Lake 303 today and seems like they provide "better" warmth but still not perfect. Some reviewers have said the Wolfhammer's are super warm but dunno if that is their empty wallets talking. Oh well, hopefully above zero temps are coming soon and this cold feet matter can wait till next winter season.

mtbr member
    Anyone with a fatbike ride report?

Every year there's 2~3 weeks that I stay off the trails, but I'm really curious how much better fatbikes are for this kind of stuff?

I only got out for a short ride today. Anything in the shade or in the trees was good, but anything in the sun was too soft.

I know a few other people have icespikerpros, so I might as well mention that one of mine is disintegrating:

Last week I noticed two spots where the tube was poking through the sidewall. I tried to patch them with fishing line, gorilla tape and crazyglue:

But after a week of riding the stitches are pulling out, making an even bigger mess of the sidewall. Thankfully Schwalbe is sending me a warranty replacement, but until it gets here I think I'll have to stick with my fixie.

mtbr member
    Did not get out this weekend. Pulled my lower back. Got out last Tuesday and Thursday when it was cold and fresh snow, which is now totally irrelevant.

mtbr member

It's a slush fest. Meltin like mad. Single track steeps unrideable no matter how many studs in tire.

mtbr member
    ^ that's what I like to hear...it means I don't need to buy a fatbike. I'm still waiting for my replacement tire, and making do on the fixie.

Normally I expect clear trails by April 15, or the week after that if we've had an extra amount of snow. But looking at the longterm forecast we could be a couple of weeks early this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    there will be a big dump of snow or 2 before this winter is up yet.

mtbr member
    Any new snow in April almost always disappears quickly. What keeps the trails from clearing is the 6" of dense hardpack that's frozen solid over the winter. That spine down the middle of the trail usually takes forever to melt, but this year a bunch of it melted off in January, and a bunch more is melting right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    McKinnon, Emily Murphy, Canada Cup trails were in pretty great shape this am as it froze up overnight. Perfect conditions for a fat bike. Wouldn't want to be riding too much if the trails were any softer.

mtbr member

Any trail updates with the dump of snow ?

mtbr member
    I didn't hit the trails today, but they've been pretty gross this week - slush, mud, ice, and only a little bit of snow. I doubt the new snow will do much, but the cold temperatures should firm things up.

mtbr member
    Definitely much nicer this weekend than it was during the week. Dirty mattress had a few spots that were a pretty lethal mix of offcamber roots and ice, but otherwise things were pretty good.

mtbr member
    Got out today for a good jaunt. Mill Creek, Cadillac, A-Bomb, lower Ewok and trails north side of river from Dawson to Queen E all in great shape! Sunny spots have mud, sheltered spots have ice, but all in all, good day for riding!

mtbr member
    Which one's A-bomb?

mtbr member

The one from McNally to Gretzky drive south side of river. It's gonna get this signage cause Andre carved this trail out and it's the bomb. I personally quite enjoy this trail going east to west but both ways actually ok.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's the trail. I agree - east to west is the best way to take this trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone been out to the Cooking Lake - Blackfoot trail system east of the city? Anything out there for singletrack fans?

mtbr member
    The kettle ball race is out at Blackfoot. It's rolling double track flattened grass. Not a worthwhile trip for single track because as far as I know, there is none. It's a GREAT venue for the kettle cross race, though! Kettle Cross Enduro | A bike race of epic proportions

mtbr member
    Edmonton spring/summer thread up! Edmonton Spring/Summer 2014

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234