Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

The Farley looks awesome, lovin the paint. Good review of your initial impressions on the fat tires in Edmonton snow, I m awaiting a few parts for my fatty build to see what the fat tire fun is all about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, I've been out in the cold/snow a handful of times now and I don't think it's for me. Riding is just a little too frustrating and weather dependent so I'm ganna opt for random walks and a gym membership to stay in shape over the winter.

I'm going to try to sell my tires, hopefully I can get a decent price for them.

mtbr member
    ^ that's too bad.

I find it works best if you go somewhere with lots of dogwalkers. Ewok does usually get packed down, but it might take a week or two. I don't know if the sciencepark is ever rideable in winter.

The other thing is that it's only been this week that we've started to get decent hardpack. Before that things had been rideable enough, but were still kindof...spongy? The recent snow and cold temperatures have noticeably firmed things up.

But to each their own.

mtbr member
    ...so I'm not trying to convince schnitzelstein of anything, but I feel like rambling a bit more.

I think last May was reasonably nice? But June and July were absolutely terrible. Things got better in August, and were really nice through September and a chunk of October. Every "summer" we seem to lose 2 months (and not necessarily the same 2 months) to monsoon season. So that leaves about 4 months of riding? And that's assuming May and October are nice, which they often aren't.

This is my 5th winter, and I'll say I'm probably not a big fan of November or December. The snow isn't packed down, and everything is so dark. But the last couple of years Jan/Feb/Mar have been fantastic. You do have to ignore the occasional -30, but temperatures are often relatively nice, the sun starts to come back, the trails are solid, and you're starting to get cabin fever by that point. It's way more fun than the 2 months of monsoon season. But it's also an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Got out last night for a couple of hours. Not many people out. With the cloud cover, one could have easily rode in the river valley without any lights, it was that bright out.

Mill Creek single track was still a bit loose, so I stuck mostly to the MUT trails. Some of the MUTs were a bit loose too. It's very easy to see that we have had a lot of snow in the past couple of weeks.

Mill Creek single track:

Couple of skaters on the rink behind the legislative building:

mtbr member
    The freehub on my hardtail started to fail at the end of fall (oem giant wheelset), so I used that as an excuse to do my first real wheelbuild for that bike. But I certainly wasn't going to just toss the old wheels, so instead I got a bolt-on cog for them. On the weekend I swapped them over to my dinglespeed and turned it into a fixie:

I tried a bit of the trails around oldtimers', but even at the best of times this bike is geared too high for snowy trails. And hike-a-bike with a fixie really sucks since you have to keep clear of the constantly rotating pedals. So I've been sticking to the cleared stuff too.

I've never ridden fixed before, and it's interesting. So much mountain bike stuff doesn't work: attack-position, weight shifts, dropping behind the seat, digging your feet into your pedals when braking. I feel pretty inept.

mtbr member
    A fixie on the single track would make for some interesting riding, or interesting crashes!

mtbr member
    In the summer that bike gets bigapples, and as a singlespeed it's actually pretty capable on the flatter trails like oldtimers or even groat. So it will probably see some trailtime as a fixie. And hopefully by summer I'll have figured out how to lift the front wheel, because right now it seems impossible.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Fixed on single-track is loads of fun........until it gets steep. Then it gets exciting! When I lived in Winnipeg I turned my old Kona into a single-speed because the trails in the city were getting stale. After a while I flipped it over and road fixed and it made the same old trails new and exciting. There are no long or steep hills in Winnipeg so it was quite doable. In Edmonton I flipped it back so I could coast the faster hills but I will probably try it again. It makes you very focused.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I've had 2 singlespeeds for a couple of years now, so I figured this was a good excuse to switch things up. But both brakes are going to be staying on forever.

mtbr member
    I know it's pretty quiet around here in the winter, but I hope no one minds me posting this:

Opening a new BikeWorks South | Indiegogo

Edmonton Bicycle Commuters is doing fundraising because they have to move their southside shop. I've been volunteering for a few years, and have learned an awful lot there. If you're familiar with the old location, the new spot will be about a block away in the old Videodrome location on 102st and 80ave.

Bikeworks is apparently the oldest community bikeshop in North America, and while it isn't particularly mountain-bikey it does have a bunch of the fancy tools - headset press, truing stand, dishing tool, tensiometer, alignment gauge, chasers, facers - that can come in handy.

It's a kickstarter-type setup, so there's swag for the various contribution levels.

Sorry for the disruption.

mtbr member
    Any gently used or in some cases, new but never used, bike parts that I accumulate goes here. There'll be a couple of complete bikes that I've got hanging around that will find their new home here as well. Good cause.

mtbr member
    Nice day for a ride, but the singletrack is impassable:

(I assume even a fatbike wouldn't be much help here)

I walked the oldtimers' trails on the theory that the more traffic through there the better. I could ride if there was downhill slope, but flats or climbs meant hiking.

mtbr member
    Got out last night with Gord962 and we ended up riding quite a bit at the dog park by Jackie Parker Park. Snow was very deep in some sections, but the trails were pretty good otherwise.

There were some hike a bike sections in other areas we rode where the snow was knee deep. Big change from Wednesday when we last rode the same sections.

mtbr member
    In November everyone was making a big deal about how much snow we got. But comparing it to pictures from last year it looked pretty much the same. But with everything we got last week I will agree that we officially have a lot of snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Decided to take the plunge and got a Surly Fatbike with my buddy.

I got the pugsley and he took the moonlander... Was a lot of fun riding around Terwillegar today. Look forward to being able to ride a lot more year-round now.

image by peeflar, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Got out yesterday. Mill Creek to Muttart was pure ice. The river valley itself was decent. Old Timer's MUT's were narrow and challenging and the single track, didn't even bother.

The snow is a lot easier to ride on when the temperature is more like minus ten degrees compared to the zero degree conditions we had yesterday.

mtbr member
    Rode oldtimers today without incident, but none of the other singletrack looked worthwhile. Since it was pretty chilly no one was out tobogganing, so I did a couple of runs down gallagher park hill which is always goofy and fun. It's nice and packed without being icy, although it sure is hard to spot the bumps.

mtbr member
    Had planned to go to work today, but didn't have anything pressing so decided to take a vacation day instead and enjoy the weather:

Trail above Dawson and Kinnaird park is in great shape.

Trail between Goldbar and Capilano is 1/2 good. The old/east end is solid, but the newer/west end is pretty loose, and the switchbacks are probably going to be killer regardless.

Rowland is getting there. All the ups&downs means spinouts and washouts. Did a lot of hiking, and bumped into two other guys who were in the same boat. We lamented that us skinny-tire folk were doing the trailbreaking. A fatbike might have been more successful today.

After that I was feeling too lazy to climb up to Cadillac or Upper Ewok, so took the mup around Riverside.

Lower Ewok was good. Birdhouse was good. The pumptrack trail was good.

Nothing around the riverboat has been touched.

Old Timers is good.

Dirty mattress looks basically untouched at the NE end. And kinsmen looked pretty untouched.

Yesterday I did Keillor/Laurier/Mckinnon, and they were all in good shape.

mtbr member
    Nice long ride on the fixie today, including taking it on singletrack for the first time on lower ewok and birdhouse:

Rode around riverside golfcourse, and when I got to the Dawson bridge I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I'd braked or thought about braking. It was one of those zen-trance things that fixed riders always talk about, because I'd covered a km or two and had basically no memory of it. Very weird.

I was planning on tackling old timers when I noticed a big crack in my beloved bullmoose bars:

I've got a treaded>threadless adapter so I can use some newer stems and bars I've got lying around, but I love the bullmoose bars and am going to have to hunt around bikeworks when it reopens to find a replacement.

rides with camera
    What year is that Kuwahara frame Newangled? Bummer about those bars.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    1989ish. I got the frame, bars and a wheelset from Bikeworks for $30 a couple of years ago, so it's not the end of the world. It was pretty beat up, so I pulled the old decals off and got some custom ones made online. The bullmoose are amazingly comfy bars, though. The annoying thing is that Bikeworks just scrapped a lot of their excess inventory because of their impending move, and I'm sure that included a whole bunch of bullmoose. I'm going to check the northside shop, but it might be a while before I find a replacement.

rides with camera
    What material are those bars made of? I might be able to have them fixed up for you. Funny, I was going to guess 88 or 90 for the frame but thought I might be way off... Ha!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    It's chrome ontop of what's presumably chromoly. But I'm sure it just came off some cheap 80s sears bike or whatever (the kuwi frame had a terribly narrow flat bar when I pulled it out of the pile). I'm just:

1) disappointed, because the bike was perfect
    2) happy that I didn't seriously impale myself

rides with camera
    Yep, it could have possibly been very ugly for you if you didn't notice the crack.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast