Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrich View Post
    (does it normally smell that bad there? Like raw sewage?)
    Yes, the waste water treatment plant does often smell like a waste water treatment plant. =P

mtbr member
    Managed to get out before the weather turns for the worst on Sunday. Surprisingly, did not see any other cyclists out on what was a pretty nice afternoon.

Close to the Wally drop in:

mtbr member

The tent is gone from dirty mattress. I think they just moved, since I saw two similar green tents off in the trees in other spots.

Anyone ever ride the singletrack that wraps around Oleskiw? It's basically where the connection will be from the Ft. Ed pedestrian bridge to the new Terwillegar bridge once it gets built? There's a couple of kilometers of continuous trail, and it looks pretty well-riden, but it's very tame, and it doesn't really go anywhere. With the leaves down I was in there looking for trails branching off into the trees, but wasn't successful. It's still a neat place since it's completely empty.

mtbr member
    Rode that trail last Monday. Once you scoot under the big ass tree, it's just a nice mellow ride to the clearing. The few log piles keep things interesting, though. I'm sure that once the new bridge is built, it'll connect up to it, alleviating the need to do pavement riding if one is heading out to Terwilliger.

mtbr member
    Yeah, all the log piles make me wonder who rides there because it must be pretty well used. When the bridge gets built I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets turned into double track or pavement, though. It's mellow enough that the city could probably widen it pretty easily.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride that trail fairly often. It's not too far from my place and it's great when I'm not in the mood for the technical trails in Patricia.

It's going to be great once the footbridge goes up. Not having to climb the death hill leading to Terwillegar after crossing the Fort Edmonton bridge will be a dream.

I think you can count on the trail being paved over once the bridge goes up. Also expect to see some big changes if construction access to the footbridge ends up coming through the North-west side of the river (through the country club or new housing development)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Yeah, all the log piles make me wonder who rides there because it must be pretty well used. When the bridge gets built I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets turned into double track or pavement, though. It's mellow enough that the city could probably widen it pretty easily.
    I've rode it a few times this year - basically ends where the footbridge will be. Like the log roll overs...
    And yes, that is pretty much the plan - that path, or close enough will be made into either gravel or MUT.

mtbr member
    Last night's group ride was cold. Very cold. Time to put away the full suspension as it just acts gross when the weather gets cold. Trails were pretty good, but the ground is pretty hard and slick in spots. Going to have to get out another night before the crappy weather hits us again next weekend.

mtbr member
    Beaver's be crazy:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Beaver's be crazy
    Every time I ride by there I do a double-take.

mtbr member

Edmonton, Fall, Winter 13

Time to bring out the fatbikes.... Wish I had one to bring out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Time to bring out the fatbikes.... Wish I had one to bring out.

Same here.

I don't understand why bike shops don't offer financing. I'd have a sweet winter ride and they'd get to sell more bikes Win/win, right?

Speaking of which, does anyone ride their 'regular' bikes in the snow? Do you guys make any adjustments to your bikes or any modifications?

mtbr member
    I think there are maybe 5 days a year when a fatbike would be handy. I'm sure they're fun, but any normal bike works just fine, and 29ers are great. I really do like studs though. And 2 of my bikes are rigid so I don't have to worry about mucking up suspension components.

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelstein View Post
    Speaking of which, does anyone ride their 'regular' bikes in the snow? Do you guys make any adjustments to your bikes or any modifications?
    All I do is throw on the studded tires, yet I rode without those for quite a few years but wouldn't recommend that. Kinda stupid and dangerous with ice. I agree with Newfangled below, nothing wrong with your regular bike for Winter trails.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Here's a fun one from last year:

mtbr member
    Regular bikes work just fine in the winter:

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Excellent!

I picked up some studded tires and went for my first ride in the snow yesterday in terwilliger. It was different for sure but still pretty fun.

Now to figure out the clothing thing... Arg.

mtbr member
    Everyone will be different, but here's my standard list:

0C - Start wearing shell jacket and merino skullcap.

-5C - Add flip-top mittens over my fullfinger gloves. Add 3-in-1 poly balaclava which covers my head, but lets me leave my face open. Add lightweight tights under shellpants. Switch to cheap, oversized hiking shoes with thick worksocks (I run platform pedals all year anyway).

-15C - Switch from mitten/glove combo to Snowboard gloves. It's probably time to start using the 3-in-1 balaclava as an actual balaclava.

-20C - Add fleece sweater under shell. Switch light tights to fleece tights. Add second layer of worksocks. Add second liner to gloves. Possibly use forearm/calf warmers.

-25C - Add neckwarmer over balaclava. Use both the fleece tights and light tights. Definitely use forearm/calf warmers. Add ski goggles.

-30C - Pretty rare so I don't have any specific gear, but I make sure to have some chemical hand/toe warmers easily accessible for emergencies.

The biggest scare so far was at around -20C when I stopped at redbike for some shopping. My gloves had gotten a little sweaty on the ride there, and they were still damp when I headed out again. That little bit of moisture made the gloves spectacularly useless, and riding across the high level was a nightmare, so I almost needed to bail to a coffeeshop or gas station to warm up.
    Probably the most surprising thing is that I wear a baselayer with a windbreaker down to about -20 (usually -18). Once I add fleece I start sweating like crazy, but it has to be pretty cold before I need it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Great write up.

I've got warm/wicking baselayers covered but I'm having a hard time finding an outer layer that won't trap any moisture in. Do you know of any good jackets/pants made for that sort of thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelstein View Post
    I've got warm/wicking baselayers covered but I'm having a hard time finding an outer layer that won't trap any moisture in. Do you know of any good jackets/pants made for that sort of thing?
    I just use a boring running/cycling jacket like this. Everyone will be different, but I find that big armpit zips are all I really need. (although it's also a few years old and has been washed many times, so it's waterproofing is long gone)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For outerlayers this is my baby here: Eddie Bauer - Sandstone Soft Shell Jacket customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

I wear it through all seasons and it serves me well with different configurations underneath (I rode Tuesday morning in -15 with a baselayer, fleece, and my softshell.) My hands get cold easily so I break out my heavy gloves earlier in the season.

(although it's also a few years old and has been washed many times, so it's waterproofing is long gone)
    Have you tried this product here for waterproofing? Works like a charm.

(I've never tried the advanced options on here, so this was my first shot at it. Forgive me if there are random links and html tags all over the place)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrich View Post
    Have you tried this product here for waterproofing? Works like a charm.
    Thanks, but I actually like that it isn't waterproof anymore since now it's nice and breathable.

mtbr member

A lazy ride for me today. Victoria, Groat, Mckinnon and around hawrelak. Winterbike is still setup as a singlespeed which is just a little too tricky for climbing snowy singletrack.

mtbr member

Slightly less lazy today - down to ewok, and then back by old timers, the canada cup, and the university. Really nice conditions, with basically no ice, and not too much snow. Even as a singlespeed it was a pretty competent ride.

mtbr member
    Got out yesterday and today. Today was a nicer day, but yesterday was better day for riding IMO. Some crappy shots from today, and yes, Old Timer's is in fantastic shape.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast