Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Edmonton - Autumn 2012

Great day for a ride. Trails super busy. Found the single track in Patricia Ravine, couple of near seat ejection moments on the trail, but only one bashed finger today.

Not too hot, trails are nice and dry, and the weather's great!

West end of Canada Cup course. For reference, my bike is an XL with 29 wheels.

mtbr member
    More random shots:

mtbr member
    With the opening of the new Jay Hoots designed Sherwood Park skills park last week, I finally made my way there last night. There was a lot of good work done and there is something for all ages and skill levels.

If you haven't been there I recommend going and checking it out. If you are unsure of the location it is on Bethel Drive, which is located north of Baseline between Broadmoor and Sherwood Drive.

What you can expect for features: pump tracks, dirt jumps, ladder bridges, log rides, skinnies, trials area, wall ride and more.

Keep in mind this is newly constructed and just getting broken in so it is getting to be in rough shape as it gets packed and ridden. Next year the building crew will be back to put the finishing touches on. The biggest issues are the berms - the clay is coming off in chunks so it makes them quite rough. As the chunks fall off they break up at the bottom so the bottoms are soft. Even with that, it is definitely worth making a trip out and checking it out.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Felt more like spring today than autumn.

Things learned on today's ride:
    squirrrels do not look both ways before crossing trails
    203 rotors have more power than 185s
    80% of Edmontonions on the trail are shocked that riders are still out
    36 spoked wheels are stiffer than 32 spoked wheels
    some people see you, but refuse to make room for you to ride by - playing chicken on the trails
    little kids think bikes are cool
    little kids have no depth or speed perception of approaching bikes
    parents are not in control of little kids at all times
    trails become "lost" when all the leaves are down on the ground
    sometimes it pays to say hi to a fellow rider, only to find out he's new to town and not sure where to go. A little follow the leader on some local trails followed.

Mill Creek - passable, but pretty muddy still. Old Timer's Cabin - better leaf coverage than Mill Creek, so wet, but not too muddy. Same thing with Kinsmen area.

If it wasn't for tonight's rain, the trails would have been in pretty good shape for tomorrow.

Leaves everywhere:

Trail good up to here, then mud:

And more mud:

Muddy, not tacky, but not slimey either:

Post ride, pretty good for absence of mud all things considered:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Felt more like spring today than autumn.

Things learned on today's ride:
    squirrrels do not look both ways before crossing trails
    203 rotors have more power than 185s
    80% of Edmontonions on the trail are shocked that riders are still out
    36 spoked wheels are stiffer than 32 spoked wheels
    some people see you, but refuse to make room for you to ride by - playing chicken on the trails
    little kids think bikes are cool
    little kids have no depth or speed perception of approaching bikes
    parents are not in control of little kids at all times...
    Where you bunny hopping kids? lol
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Yesterday was muddy. Mostly multis used. Mill Creek was greasy and muddy.

Mud below here:

Beavers in action, hence the wire wraps on trees in the river valley:

mtbr member
    Huh. I always thought those wire wraps were to protect from wear-and-tear from humans (while occasionally leading to wear-and-tear on humans...like the one nasty one in the middle of the CC course). I've never seen that much damage from critters all in one spot.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Huh. I always thought those wire wraps were to protect from wear-and-tear from humans (while occasionally leading to wear-and-tear on humans...like the one nasty one in the middle of the CC course). I've never seen that much damage from critters all in one spot.
    It's all those tree "dry humpers" that are killing the forests, lol.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Beavers in action, hence the wire wraps on trees in the river valley:

You need big trees if your gonna dam the North Saskatchewan River.

Little fella needs to learn to gnaw on the downhill side of the trees.

mtbr member
    Trail conditions based on tonight's ride:

Mill Creek - all good, couple of little puddles, but that's about it
    Upper Ewok - all good
    Mid Ewok - all good
    Trail from McNally to Rowland's Trail - all good
    Rowland's Trail - west 2/3 is all good, east 1/3 (just past the ladder bridge) has a couple of puddles, some slime, but generally good

mtbr member
    I hit Keillor, Laurier, Mckinnon and Groat on the way home, and they're all in fine shape.

Just built this one up last weekend:

The frame replaced my tired Giant, but most of the other parts were a straight swap over.

mtbr member
    So earlier this year one of the pinkbike guys spent a bunch of time digging on Victoria Secret. He added a few new lines, a gap jump, and a couple of berms. Then a month or two ago there was an older guy down there on the weekends filling in the jump and removing the berms.

I ride through on the way home a few times a week, and I walk my dog through there a lot, and I've never had a problem with people sessioning that run. I can honestly say that I've seen more coyotes in that spot this year (2) than I have out-of-control-DHers (0).

I realize that there's all kinds of people in this world, but spending your weekends undoing trailwork is just so weird.

mtbr member
    You can't just randomly build trails on the City's property. There's been an enormous amount of work done with the City to be allowed to use the existing trails like we do. People who want to trail build really need to get in contact with the clubs and trail builders around town and work on maintaining the existing trails, rather than free lancing. Figure out which club is maintaining trails in the area you want to work, and talk with them.

Someone just built a fancy new extension right across the river in full view of the city office. All that work, and the city will probably pull it out. It's a fun trail, but it will effect erosion of the river bank.

Unsanctioned trail building is a great way to blow some of the good will that people have been trying to build between the mtb community and the City. So yes, the mtb community spending time removing trails is actually good for us, to keep us in the city's good graces.

mtbr member
    And if it had been the City undoing the work I'd understand, but it was just some guy with a shovel. Having come across the chokeline on the groat rollercoaster earlier this year, I can't say I'm a fan of random dudes with agendas.

edited to add: I wasn't even a fan of what had been done down there. I'm not a jumper, and they'd tried to block one of the pre-existing lines which was annoying. But the erosion excuse was not a factor down there at all. A bunch of other trails have been way more messed up in the last little while (what is going on with bobsled?) than the work down there.

mtbr member
    Who knows who did it. Could have been some random person, or it could have been someone with the EMBA. Anyone doing free lance trail work really should talk to the EMBA before they start digging.

mtbr member
    I hit Keillor, Laurier, Mckinnon and Groat on the way home, and they're all in fine shape.
    Keillor road meaning in the trees next to the equine center or down low on the trail that follows the river? Looking to go west tonight instead of east and just wondering what section you were referring to.

mtbr member
    ...A bunch of other trails have been way more messed up in the last little while (what is going on with bobsled?) than the work down there.
    Yeah, Bobsled at night is an event when you're not expecting the built up ramps seemingly at every berm! I'm not complaining, just adds to the pucker factor when you're not expecting a launch pad at every turn!

mtbr member
    Keillor road meaning in the trees next to the equine center or down low on the trail that follows the river? Looking to go west tonight instead of east and just wondering what section you were referring to.
    The section by the equine centre still has the one boggy bit that's been there all year, but that's as wide as a freeway now so there's usually a way through.

I haven't been on the really low section by the big slide in forever. The river has been really low for a month though, so it's probably as good as it gets.

North of that between the slide and Hawrelak is good. If you haven't been there in awhile there's been some major erosion and undercutting on a few of the sketchier sections, so who knows how long they'll be around.

mtbr member
    Okay, sounds good. Sunday that area was still wet, so with all this wind, and the river being low, it should be good.

The lower section down by the river is always fun...unless it's wet. From the pedestrian bridge at Hawrelak, I usually stay low going west to the end of the equine center and then come back up through the trees going back home. I'll grab some pictures if I can get out tonight.

mtbr member
    I usually skip the low area because it's way too much stop-and-go with my singlespeed. But I had gears today, so I went out at lunch. A little bit of mud (not much), a downed tree or two, and a few sections of collapsed trail - so it's basically as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. There's a couple of sections that I usually walk - one is the super tight turn (handlebars too wide to squeeze through the trees) and the second is where the orange fence is on the ground, right before you climb the eroded trail. I don't remember any downed trees last time, other than the first big one at the start of the trail from the east side.

Sounds like it's all good.

mtbr member
    Dumb.

mtbr member
    Lower Kiellor drop in looks good:

Beach area not muddy or soupy:

This chasm leads to an abrupt ledge fallout that is getting closer and closer to the trail. New orange fencing up as a warning:

Pretty much dry and good to ride:

Some nice colours up by the equine center:

mtbr member
    This chasm leads to an abrupt ledge fallout that is getting closer and closer to the trail. New orange fencing up as a warning:
    Yup, not sure how long that section will last. Lots of roots to hold everything together, but not a lot of dirt left to actually hold.

mtbr member
    Did keillor today because you mentioned it, i hope to be back on sunday.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast