Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Edmonton - Autumn 2012

11K views 88 replies 11 participants last post by  newfangled 
#1 ·
Great day for a ride. Trails super busy. Found the single track in Patricia Ravine, couple of near seat ejection moments on the trail, but only one bashed finger today.

Not too hot, trails are nice and dry, and the weather's great!

West end of Canada Cup course. For reference, my bike is an XL with 29 wheels. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#75 ·
The central trails were great today. Last week I'd met a x-country skier on the CC trail by the old timers' cabin. I was struggling a bit, so he was able to be quite a bit faster (and a lot more consistent) than me. If I'd bumped into him again this week it wouldn't even have been a contest - that section was firm and fast and you could just fly through there. Most of the cc trails were like that, through past the university and mckinnon. I forgot to try riding down the gallagher park toboggan hill, though

#76 ·
No exciting updates from me - still commuting, but wasn't able to hit the trails much this week.

Just saw this in the journal though:

Queen Elizabeth Park to be rejuvenated

EDMONTON - The century-old Queen Elizabeth Park is about to undergo a facelift, with proposals for expanded trails, art, a mountain-biking course and a new toboggan hill.

A draft master plan released by the city last month envisions the North Saskatchewan River valley park east of the Kinsmen Sports Centre as an accessible, well-connected gathering place providing great views of Edmonton's skyline...

There are also plans for a mountain-bike skills area that might feature moguls, teeter-totters, rails and jumps, although design won't start until at least 2015.

It might also include parts of a nearby 1950s sewage treatment facility slated for demolition, Norman said.

"There was great support to having the bike skills park there, I think because of the single-track trails that already exist in the river valley … People (don't) have to drive down."
More details from the city:
Queen Elizabeth Park Master Plan :: City of Edmonton
http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/QEParkFinal-Part3.pdf

Looks like the skillspark would go where the big grassy hill currently is (Dantzer's Folly), and in the city compound that's down there. So some of the existing singletrack would get altered. But of course none of it's going to happen until the new Walterdale bridge is finished.

#77 ·
Some of the clubs sent out emails to get riders to attend the open house a few weeks back to give support for the skills area. The redevelopment might help move out some of the people that join up in the park at night for drinking, drugs, etc. I kind of seeing this as a long term development plan that'll take a while to get going. When it's all said and done, it could be a success or an area to avoid when riding the trails (due to congestion). I'm thinking it'll be an area to avoid myself.

#78 ·
^ I'm not worried about trail congestion. I'll just ride the skinnies when it's -20C out. :thumbsup:

I really would love to be able to practice jumps on some tabletops, though. The various ghetto gapjumps that I've seen scattered around the rivervalley scare the crap out of me. I'm going to have to make an effort to hit the Devon or Strathcona bike parks next year...even if it means all the kids there will laugh at me.

#80 ·
Looks like we're losing a popular section of trail:

Photos: Trees come down near Walterdale Bridge

With the replacement of the Walterdale bridge that whole middle bit of the former CC course is probably going to be pretty messed up for a few years.

Walterdale Bridge :: City of Edmonton

Pedestrian/Cyclist Detours

January 7, 2013 - The area around the existing Walterdale Bridge will be affected by construction activities for the new bridge, including trail closures and detours. Portions of Queen Elizabeth Park, Kinsmen Park and the area around the EPCOR generating station will be affected. To ensure public safety, please stay away from the closed areas during construction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.