Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    Are these from below Mcnally and towards the Muttart?
    East of Mcnally heading towards Gretzky drive
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    ^ Finally found it! Long time coming!

Got out today for a couple of hours. Random shots:
    What time were you out? There was a single track in the snow when I was there. You? I was there around 10:30.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    I was out around 1 p.m. 3 p.m.

mtbr member
    I will probably try this after work Saturday 3:30. I hope to do Hinton on Sunday if it isn't too muddy.

mtbr member
    We're into the season of bait-and-switch weather forecasts. This coming saturday was supposed to be 9. But wait - now it's only supposed to be 0. But now Sunday is supposed to be 11! But wait - tomorrow the forecast will change again!

I'm glad that I managed to get a good, long ride in on my new hardtail last weekend. I think it's probably done for the year, and I'll be on my winterbikes for the next 5 months or so.

mtbr member
    Hinton got a foot of snow. I'll be riding in town Saturday and Sunday

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.
    Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'm glad that I managed to get a good, long ride in on my new hardtail last weekend. I think it's probably done for the year, and I'll be on my winterbikes for the next 5 months or so.
    Yeah, "regular" rides look to be done this year. Too bad as last year we were riding into November without snow and two (three?) years ago it was into December.

I think I'll be doing weekend rides only from here on out, and those weekends might be hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Sunday, I hope to ride longer than an hour, so I am looking for better options than Terwillegar.

Saturday I will try the ride that was just mentioned going back to wayne gretzky. I may take it to goldbar, then closer to Esso refinery then to the Science park.

internet axe murderer
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post

Things learned on today's ride:
    little kids have no depth or speed perception of approaching bikes
    parents are not in control of little kids at all times
    Oh God, that is SO true. As a parent of a little kid, I can tell you there is no way to control them all the time! I think people who do not have kids or aren't around them much don't realize this. I had one lady ream me out about not controlling my kid after she and another biker had a near miss on the pathway because of a bad decision my son made. I was riding right behind him and he ignored my instructions. Well, she and the other rider were adults and also have a responsibility to look out for danger and stay in control, just like I have a responsibility to teach my kid safe riding.

I don't live in the Edmonton area so I haven't ridden the trails mentioned in this thread, but I think that one person's "trail building" is another person's "vandalism." I think it would be fantastic for kids to have skills parks to do jumps, but I have knocked down jumps and filled the holes back in when the dumb-heads have built the jump by digging a hole right next to the single track in order to put a jump in the middle of the established single track. The hole is ugly and dangerous for people who aren't used to a jump being there and maybe would like to avoid it - endo right into the hole a definite possibility.

Courtney

mtbr member
    Too much snow. Just tried by mcnally school.

Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Anybody else having fun?

mtbr member
    No. Withdrawal

Norco range on way.

mtbr member
    Thinking about it for this Sunday. You are a braver man than I to be riding these past few days!

mtbr member
    Honestly, if I wasn't commuting I probably wouldn't be riding. The temperature is decent, and it's nice to be out, but conditions are pretty iffy. Wednesday was actually phenomenal and might be the nicest storm I've ever ridden through, but the extra snow since then is just shifting around on top.

mtbr member
    If there is hard packed snow, it would be worth riding.

mtbr member
    Great day for a ride:

Stay...good bike:

Time to turn around:

River Queen is taking a beating, the ice flows are moving pretty fast:

Bridges are treacherous. The snow moves and shifts underneath you.

Flourecent yellow gloves. Yes, they are awesome.

mtbr member
    Today was the first day that I managed to make it out again, and things were much better than last week.

The worst stuff I rode was actually the residential areas like Crestwood and Glenora on my way home. Other than that I took the mups from downtown to Dawson, up Roland hill (to discover the trail that jkirkpatri and sherijumper were talking about a few weeks ago) down the paved mup, and back around riverside on the lower trail which was pretty slow. Middle Ewok was good, and then the only singletrack I took was the not-quite-a-pumptrack on the southside of the river by the Mckinney park bridge. Took the doubletrack by the oldtimers cabin and then mups through to mckinnon.

So yeah, it was easy to put a nice route together, but almost none of the singletrack was broken in enough to ride on - I'd hoped some of the fatbikes around would start tackling that stuff by now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd hoped some of the fatbikes around would start tackling that stuff by now.
    There are some fatbikes out and about. Ride report here.
    I write for the Dusty Musette.

mtbr member
    ^ that was the two of you on the white pugsleys - I think I saw you on Victoria promenade?

mtbr member
    Did my usual central loop today, and rode a lot more singletrack than last week. Was the first bike on some of the stuff around shaw and the riverboat, but on the Canada Cup course I was following the fresh tracks of at least 2 fatbikes and a few other bikes. Between that, the x-country skiers, and general traffic I'd say the CC course is pretty rideable - any sort of climb is iffy, any sort of downhill probably means dabbing a foot for stability, and even the flat sections are a lot of work, but it's doableish.

The best singletrack I was on was the one above Mckinnon on the southwest. It was in fantastic shape, and I was able to maintain a pretty decent speed. Bobsled has some footprints but no obvious biketraffic, which is probably for the best but is also kind of surprising.

mtbr member
    Sounds great. Good reconaissance. I did some riding around home today. Concrete bike trails in the burbs.

Norco range on way.

rides with camera
    Bobsled has some footprints but no obvious biketraffic, which is probably for the best but is also kind of surprising.
    Where is Bobsled? I'm sure I know of it just not the name...

Cool picture btw. iPhone 5?
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    ^ bobsled, or bobsleigh...I can never remember. But it's the "downhill" run on the northside of Mckinnon ravine. People have gone crazy there this year with building, and jumps, and new lines, so I'm surprised that nobody has been out enjoyed their new handywork in the snow.

And no iphone 5 - it's just a bunch of shots from my pointandshoot stiched together at home with AutoStitch

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ^ that was the two of you on the white pugsleys - I think I saw you on Victoria promenade?
    Quite probably. I don't think there are enough fatbikes in the wild here to be forming random packs. Yet.
    I write for the Dusty Musette.

mtbr member
    The central trails were great today. Last week I'd met a x-country skier on the CC trail by the old timers' cabin. I was struggling a bit, so he was able to be quite a bit faster (and a lot more consistent) than me. If I'd bumped into him again this week it wouldn't even have been a contest - that section was firm and fast and you could just fly through there. Most of the cc trails were like that, through past the university and mckinnon. I forgot to try riding down the gallagher park toboggan hill, though

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast