Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Edmonton - Autumn 2012

11K views 88 replies 11 participants last post by  newfangled 
#1 ·
Great day for a ride. Trails super busy. Found the single track in Patricia Ravine, couple of near seat ejection moments on the trail, but only one bashed finger today.

Not too hot, trails are nice and dry, and the weather's great!

West end of Canada Cup course. For reference, my bike is an XL with 29 wheels. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#42 ·
^ Finally found it! Long time coming!

Got out today for a couple of hours. Random shots:

About 20 metres down the trail from Sherijumper's entrance shot:

Beavers will take on any tree....

Even if it's too big to use after it's been felled.

Things you find in the middle of the trees....

#43 ·
^ I just got back too, and it looks like we covered a lot of the same stuff, but I don't think I saw you. That giant tree the beavers took down was pretty ambitious.

So what's the deal with Sherijumper's trail? I guess it's by Roland drive...by I don't think I've been on it or recognize the railing?

#47 ·
[QUOTenewfangled;9821799]^ I just got back too, and it looks like we covered a lot of the same stuff, but I don't think I saw you. That giant tree the beavers took down was pretty ambitious.

So what's the deal with Sherijumper's trail? I guess it's by Roland drive...by I don't think I've been on it or recognize the railing?[/QUOTE]

From Dawson bridge, go up the hill to McNally on the sidewalk and right before the paved trail intersection, there's a drop from the paved sidewalk into the trees (drop is west). That's the trail. It links up to Rowland trail further west. The trail basically follows the golf course. I told Sherijumper's about it back in July and he finally found it today. If I get out tomorrow am ill take a pic of the trailhead entrance

#55 ·
We're into the season of bait-and-switch weather forecasts. This coming saturday was supposed to be 9. But wait - now it's only supposed to be 0. But now Sunday is supposed to be 11! But wait - tomorrow the forecast will change again! :p

I'm glad that I managed to get a good, long ride in on my new hardtail last weekend. I think it's probably done for the year, and I'll be on my winterbikes for the next 5 months or so.

#57 ·
I'm glad that I managed to get a good, long ride in on my new hardtail last weekend. I think it's probably done for the year, and I'll be on my winterbikes for the next 5 months or so.
Yeah, "regular" rides look to be done this year. :( Too bad as last year we were riding into November without snow and two (three?) years ago it was into December.

I think I'll be doing weekend rides only from here on out, and those weekends might be hit or miss.

#58 ·
Sunday, I hope to ride longer than an hour, so I am looking for better options than Terwillegar.

Saturday I will try the ride that was just mentioned going back to wayne gretzky. I may take it to goldbar, then closer to Esso refinery then to the Science park.

#64 ·
Honestly, if I wasn't commuting I probably wouldn't be riding. The temperature is decent, and it's nice to be out, but conditions are pretty iffy. Wednesday was actually phenomenal and might be the nicest storm I've ever ridden through, but the extra snow since then is just shifting around on top.

#67 ·
Today was the first day that I managed to make it out again, and things were much better than last week.

The worst stuff I rode was actually the residential areas like Crestwood and Glenora on my way home. Other than that I took the mups from downtown to Dawson, up Roland hill (to discover the trail that jkirkpatri and sherijumper were talking about a few weeks ago) down the paved mup, and back around riverside on the lower trail which was pretty slow. Middle Ewok was good, and then the only singletrack I took was the not-quite-a-pumptrack on the southside of the river by the Mckinney park bridge. Took the doubletrack by the oldtimers cabin and then mups through to mckinnon.

So yeah, it was easy to put a nice route together, but almost none of the singletrack was broken in enough to ride on - I'd hoped some of the fatbikes around would start tackling that stuff by now.

#70 ·
Did my usual central loop today, and rode a lot more singletrack than last week. Was the first bike on some of the stuff around shaw and the riverboat, but on the Canada Cup course I was following the fresh tracks of at least 2 fatbikes and a few other bikes. Between that, the x-country skiers, and general traffic I'd say the CC course is pretty rideable - any sort of climb is iffy, any sort of downhill probably means dabbing a foot for stability, and even the flat sections are a lot of work, but it's doableish.

The best singletrack I was on was the one above Mckinnon on the southwest. It was in fantastic shape, and I was able to maintain a pretty decent speed. Bobsled has some footprints but no obvious biketraffic, which is probably for the best but is also kind of surprising.

#73 ·
^ bobsled, or bobsleigh...I can never remember. But it's the "downhill" run on the northside of Mckinnon ravine. People have gone crazy there this year with building, and jumps, and new lines, so I'm surprised that nobody has been out enjoyed their new handywork in the snow.

And no iphone 5 - it's just a bunch of shots from my pointandshoot stiched together at home with AutoStitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.