Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Great day for a ride. Trails super busy. Found the single track in Patricia Ravine, couple of near seat ejection moments on the trail, but only one bashed finger today.

Not too hot, trails are nice and dry, and the weather's great!

West end of Canada Cup course. For reference, my bike is an XL with 29 wheels.
    Is this by the Valley Zoo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    You can't just randomly build trails on the City's property. There's been an enormous amount of work done with the City to be allowed to use the existing trails like we do. People who want to trail build really need to get in contact with the clubs and trail builders around town and work on maintaining the existing trails, rather than free lancing. Figure out which club is maintaining trails in the area you want to work, and talk with them.

Someone just built a fancy new extension right across the river in full view of the city office. All that work, and the city will probably pull it out. It's a fun trail, but it will effect erosion of the river bank.

Unsanctioned trail building is a great way to blow some of the good will that people have been trying to build between the mtb community and the City. So yes, the mtb community spending time removing trails is actually good for us, to keep us in the city's good graces.
    I agree that random trail building can be damaaging, but also, if it weren't for random trail building we would have no trails. As long as the trails are well built, out of sight and not conflicting with any of the eco-groups then the city has been embracing the work being done. As an active member working on maintaining the trails, we work on closing the trails the city dislikes and maintaining the trails the city approves of. EMBA has done some excellent work to date and gets more city support each year.

As far as all the new lines with jumps, these are not things the city likes to see and they will be removed. Unfortunately with the closure of Rabbit Hill these kids have no where else to go. If the city opened their eyes to building a skills park similar to what Devon and Sherwood Park have already built we could solve a lot of the issues. There are enough users that a skills park would be well used and having a place geared towards these types of riders will significantly cut down on amount of new pirate trails being cut.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    Is this by the Valley Zoo?
    just east of the high level bridge (almost underneath it actually), south side of the river.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962 View Post
    just east of the high level bridge (almost underneath it actually), south side of the river.
    Thanks.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962 View Post

As far as all the new lines with jumps, these are not things the city likes to see and they will be removed. Unfortunately with the closure of Rabbit Hill these kids have no where else to go. If the city opened their eyes to building a skills park similar to what Devon and Sherwood Park have already built we could solve a lot of the issues. There are enough users that a skills park would be well used and having a place geared towards these types of riders will significantly cut down on amount of new pirate trails being cut.
    There was a proposal to build a bike skills park and re-route/create some trails East of Kinsmen. Can't find the link but looked pretty promising. Haven't heard any updates, however.

mtbr member
    ^ the big mound of dirt just east of the Walterdale was originally supposed to become an approach for a new bridge way back in the '60's. I think that's where the skills park was proposed, but now that the city is actually moving forward replacing the Walterdale nothing else is going to happen around there until the bridge is finished.

mtbr member
    Saw someone on a Pugsley commuting on the highlevel this morning. Last year was basically a non-winter, but if we get a bunch of snow this year I hope that all the new fatbikes means a winter of nicely packed singletrack.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for a snow-free November, even though it's likely not going to happen.

As of yesterday, West Coast Trail, Old Timer's, and Mill Creek dry (and hard!). No ice spotted, a bit cool, but still good riding conditions. Tonight's night ride likely to be cold with the clear skies we've got right now.

mtbr member
    Got out last night for a couple of hours in Mill Creek and West Coast Trail. Trails are in super shape. A bit chilly (-5 Celsius) but better than what Calgary has right now.

mtbr member
    Frozen:

mtbr member
    I'm down south today, and I think the weather's inspired me to put the studs on one of my bikes this weekend.

mtbr member
    Got out last night for a couple of hours in Mill Creek and West Coast Trail. Trails are in super shape. A bit chilly (-5 Celsius) but better than what Calgary has right now.
    What do you wear for the cool weather?

mtbr member
    ^ that comes up every year in the commuting threads, so here's my survival list:

Long shell-type pants and fullfinger gloves all year (just personal preference)

5C/41F - switch from shortsleeve to longsleeve jersey

0C/32F - Add basic running/cycling shell jacket from mec. Add 3-in-1 poly balaclava which lets me leave my face uncovered if I want.

-5C/23F - Add flip-top mittens over my fullfinger gloves. Add lightweight tights under shellpants. Switch to cheap, oversized hiking shoes with thick worksocks (I run platform pedals all year anyway).

-10C/14F - Start using the 3-in-1 balaclava as an actual balaclava.

-15C/5F - Switch from mitten/glove combo to Snowboard gloves.

-20C/-4F - Add fleece sweater under shell. Switch light tights to fleece tights. Add second layer of worksocks. Add second liner to gloves.

-25C/-15F - Add neckwarmer over balaclava. Use both the fleece tights and light tights. Use some old wool socks with the toes cut off as arm/leg warmers.

-30C/-22F - Pretty rare so I don't have any specific gear, but I make sure to have some chemical hand/toe warmers easily accessible for emergencies.

Last year I got some cheap ski goggles for days below about -25C/-13F. They were nice but always started icing up after 15~20 minutes.

mtbr member
    What do you wear for the cool weather?
    Regular full fingered summer riding gloves. Hands are cold at first, but they always warm up.

Full skull cap (I shave my head) with ear covers. CTR Mistral Vapor Skull Cap (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Sleaveless summer cycling jersey, full length autumn cycling jersey MEC Ardent Long-Sleeved Jersey (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available, and a nylon sleaveless vest MEC Pinna Vest (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available, although yesterday I used a full nyon jacket (no link, picked up at MEC on clearance last year.

Regular spandex cycling shorts with full length leggings overtop MEC Roubaix Tights (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available, and if really cold, knee warmers underneath the full leggings as well MEC Calefaction Knee Warmers (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available.

Summer cycling shoes with plastic bags over the toes zip lock bag - Google Search and wool socks DeFeet Woolie Boolie Sock (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available and those little feet warmers Heat Factory Toe Warmers - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available. Now I have some dedicated winter shoes specialized defroster 2012 - Google Search.

Nothing special. The coldest I've ridden was -8 degrees. Maybe this year I'll try riding up to -12 degrees. My biggest issue is that my toes always get cold. Even with the new shoes and wool socks, I still need the feet warmers to keep my toes warm. My fingers don't have any issues. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links!!

rides with camera
    Hey jkirkpatri... Finally! How long ago did we talk about this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmonton - Autumn 2012-photo.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    ^ Finally found it! Long time coming!

Got out today for a couple of hours. Random shots:

About 20 metres down the trail from Sherijumper's entrance shot:

Beavers will take on any tree....

Even if it's too big to use after it's been felled.

Things you find in the middle of the trees....

mtbr member
    ^ I just got back too, and it looks like we covered a lot of the same stuff, but I don't think I saw you. That giant tree the beavers took down was pretty ambitious.

So what's the deal with Sherijumper's trail? I guess it's by Roland drive...by I don't think I've been on it or recognize the railing?

mtbr member
    I went through the area under the south end of the high level/U of A at 4. Nice area now. The 780 mm handlebars have helped.

mtbr member
    ^ Finally found it! Long time coming!

Got out today for a couple of hours. Random shots:

Things you find in the middle of the trees....
    Are these from below Mcnally and towards the Muttart?

mtbr member
    Regular full fingered summer riding gloves. Hands are cold at first, but they always warm up.

Full skull cap (I shave my head) with ear covers.
    Nothing special. The coldest I've ridden was -8 degrees. Maybe this year I'll try riding up to -12 degrees. My biggest issue is that my toes always get cold. Even with the new shoes and wool socks, I still need the feet warmers to keep my toes warm. My fingers don't have any issues. Go figure.
    I bought that cap and a balaclava today from mec. Wore the balaclava today, very comfortable. Fingers cold in my mechanixgloves.

mtbr member
    [QUOTenewfangled;9821799]^ I just got back too, and it looks like we covered a lot of the same stuff, but I don't think I saw you. That giant tree the beavers took down was pretty ambitious.

So what's the deal with Sherijumper's trail? I guess it's by Roland drive...by I don't think I've been on it or recognize the railing?[/QUOTE]

From Dawson bridge, go up the hill to McNally on the sidewalk and right before the paved trail intersection, there's a drop from the paved sidewalk into the trees (drop is west). That's the trail. It links up to Rowland trail further west. The trail basically follows the golf course. I told Sherijumper's about it back in July and he finally found it today. If I get out tomorrow am ill take a pic of the trailhead entrance

mtbr member
    ^ cool, thanks. Everytime I do the loooooong, paved climb from the Rowland trail up to Ewok I wonder if there's anything on the sides. There are all the short little drop-in trails on the uphill side of the paved trail, but I didn't know there was something below it.

mtbr member
    I hope to check it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Wore the balaclava today, very comfortable. Fingers cold in my mechanixgloves.
    I really like these in this type of weather:

I wear them overtop of my normal riding gloves (which is key, since otherwise my fingers would freeze), and I think I got my pair at Mark's Work Wearhouse for $15. Usually I keep them open, but if I start to get cold or I'm on a long paved stretch I can wear them like mitts for a bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast