mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Edmonton Alberta's Physically Limited / Beginner all Adult Freeride Mountain Biking

First club of it's kind ( that we know of )
    http://mwando4610.googlepages.com/home
    e-mail-bies18@hotmail.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Well I've contacted them, anyone else?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Have A Drink On Me
    I contacted them also.

Double-metric mtb man
    Ditto.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok, everone, make sure you e-mail me by Wed., if your coming to our meet up Sat.morning.
    If the weather is good, we could do a urban ride at the U.of A., or something.

Double-metric mtb man
    hey woodchip,

I got my email bounced back using the link in your first post. Can I assume that there is an extra "email-" in there?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Any news? This is a great idea whose time has come.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've not heard anything new, but I'm keeping my ear to the ground

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey everybody:
    Yea, we thought it was going to be a great idea, to get people who are like ourselfs, ( one beginner and one with many physical limitations,) out learning to freeride, but it looks like our plan is a bust.
    We have had our sign up for over 2 mnths at all the major bike shops, and on our car. But, still, knowbody has met with us. I quess adults just don't want to risk injury, or look out of place around kids at the bike parks. ( I am 42 yrs. old )
    As for ourselfs, my wife is up to aprox.50+ hrs. ride time in the last 2 mnths, and I am at aprox. 70+ hrs. We try to practise atleast 4 days a week riding curbs, railing berms we find, (the best are at the stores parking lots, 5' - 8' high, anywere from 70 - to 90 degree.)
    Or, we go to the U of A, so I can work on my drops. On Sat., I spent 4 hrs. out at terwilleger park. Found a few drops, ( with speed ) and injoyed full-out down hill rides, because I was the only one riding the runs. I would have liked to have a group for that day, to practise with.
    Anyways, C.O.P. opens in 2 weeks, and Rabbit Hill in 4 weeks. My wife and I will hit up C.O.P on a weekday in the next 2 weeks, then we will be at Rabbit Hill every night we can, at 7:00 pm, to get 2 hrs. of riding in. And on the weekends, we will ride Sat. and Sun.
    Any adults who still might be interested, but still not to sure if they can get up the courage to try freeriding, just get in your car, and come out and look at us. lol.
    If we can do it, believe me, you ALL can do it.
    I never thought I could jump out of a plane, untill I got the courage to drive out to the dropzone.
    I never thought I could Free-climb, untill I got up the courage to walk up to a building and start climbing.
    Now, middle aged and broken body, this is no different. I bought a Knolly V-tach, a carbon fiber full-face, and body armor. Took my bike to a 4' wall, and rode off of it. One of two things could have happened. Crash and hate it, or land it ( wobbly ) and want to do it again.
    Now, I feel 20 yrs. younger, although my body still reminds me of my real age.
    So, if you THINK you might like to try it, come out and join us.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    ????

I was up but never heard of a time and place. This is too bad because a have a suitable bike, pads, full face, and little skill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    We are still open to ideas as to how to bring out the adults who don't normally ride outside of single track, or cross-country.
    We hit up Terwilleger again today. My wife did her first downhill decents with minimal braking. She found out she has a nack for riding roots. She is doing great at making sure she is way back behind the saddle.
    As for myself, I was practising bunny hopping before a drop, so that there is less distance to land to the tranny. It was cool trying it on some small roll drops. It also gave me the ability to bunny hop my 45lbs bike more efficiently on the downhill trails.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Bait and switch, lure them with the promise of free beer. "Oh yeah, the beers at the bottom of the hill."

or

Advertise that there are lots of women in the club and make up a bs excuse why they didn't show up tonight.

Double-metric mtb man
    As I've said before, I'm game to give it a go...I just need to track down a time that will work for me and I'll be there

Have A Drink On Me
    I'm ready to give it a go, during the week at least. Time and place? I don't have any injuries I'm presenlty healing from, might be time for some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Guys;
    Well, I think if everyone could bring one beginner female friend or wife, and one beginner friend with some kind of physical limitation,( eg. Arthritis, Muscle or Joint pain, Overweight,etc. ) we would have a good start up group.
    Remember, we would like to see people who would never think of doing something like this, to come out and try with a group of adult riders that won't judge their abilities.

Have A Drink On Me
    It will just be me, although my wife does ride ( started this year ) she would not be interested in free riding. She's strictly a bike path rider with limited bike skill ie: I have to give her a hand with shifting, which direction to push and pull etc. She is is learning though, but not ready to advance to that level quite yet.

I'm not even sure I qualify except for the fact that I am over 30, no serious limitations just slightly out of rising shape for this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Actually, your wife is exsacly the type of rider we are geared towards. The people who would never think they could go beyond thier limits. A few hrs. riding with my wife, she would be hooked. As for yourself not being good enough, well picture me, I only leave my cane at home, when I ride. But, we are not about preasuring people into joining us. Anyone can hook up with us, you can't miss us, we stand out baaad. lol...

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm both overweight and an asthmatic....I qualify all by my lonesome

Anytime. Anywhere.
    How about a meeting this weekend??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok, we can try a meet up. How does Chapters on Calgary trail south sound? ( across the parking lot from Petsmart ) Say around 9:30 am. Sat.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    How about something closer to Whyte Ave or downtown? I'm riding from NE and would like stay more bike friendly.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm volunteering at the Great Human Race at Churchill Square 8-12 noon If anyone wants to ride by and let me know how the meeting went, just look for the St. John Ambulance van and ask for Mike.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchip
    Ok, we can try a meet up. How does Chapters on Calgary trail south sound? ( across the parking lot from Petsmart ) Say around 9:30 am. Sat.
    I'll be there. I'll ride this afternoon when the wind dies down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, practise time is almost over. C.O.P. opens in 2 weeks, and Rabbit hill in 3 weeks. My wife and I will hit up U of A on Sun. ( if it is dry ) Then, we will practise at Terwilliger a few more times before going to C.O.P.
    If anyone wants to ride with us, you can meet up with us at C.O.P., or you can wait to meet up with us at Rabbit Hill.
    I think today, I will drive out to Rabbit Hill, to see if I can put up a sign there. Maybe the parents going out there, to buy their kids season passes, will see the sign, and want to give it a try.
    I am also going to offer some money to any younger rider, who would be able to teach us more. I'll post that on Pinkbike.

Members who have read this thread: 0