Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Doing a winter season in Canada

Hey all, I spent a year in Whistler BC where I was ski instructing in the winter and then working in a bike shop in the summer. I'd love to go back to Canada, but this time round I'd like to try and go somewhere with dryer snow or champagne powder as I hear it referred to. Also slightly smaller crowds and line-ups on a powder day would be nice too. I'm not sure what other good resorts are popular with seasonaires. I'm open to any suggestions :-) . Thanks!!!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

I wanna ride.
    Have you looked into Kicking Horse, in Golden BC, or Fernie? Both are year round towns, mtb and ski destinations. A smaller resort is panorama, but the snow isn't as spectacular. There's also Silver Star outside of Vernon BC, and Sunpeaks, but it is a ways out of Kamloops. Alberta, which is home base for me, doesn't have much for resort riding, summer wise, but there is a lot on the go. Just be pre

mtbr member
    For light fluffy powder head inland from the coast, as mentioned Fernie can be pretty good as the last 2 years were stellar ( here's a buddies vid from last year - https://vimeo.com/37533929 ) - this year though, not so much (although it is puking today, probably the first decent dump in 6 weeks). We have a very extensive trail network, lots of singletrack. The hill (which is only about 8 minutes drive from town) does have dh trails, mostly rough natural terrain - not much in the way of manicured, machine built stuff, and we have a decent jump park in town that hosts the Wam Bam Dirt Jam in July, and there are a few big dh shuttles too - POV vid dirt diggler, Fernie, BC - YouTube from our Dirt Diggler DH race we have in the fall.
    Here's a vid from the Fernie Tourism website that Nic Genovese did that covers the varieties of trails - Mountain Biking in Fernie BC.mp4 - YouTube

roots, rocks, rhythm
    There are some amazing areas all over BC.
    Here are a couple options:
    Revelstoke, Nelson, Golden and Fernie would be my first choice.
    Smaller crowds then Whistler but good opportunities for both riding, skiing and employment.
    There are quite a few other towns that are really wonderful areas but employment might be issue but Rossland, Vernon, Kamloops and if you want another good spot Canmore Alberta is another option.
    It really depends on what you want and looking for.
    Just my 2 cents.....

Grip it and rip it.
    Hey guys, thanks for the help so far. I'm really just all about the skiing (it's my main passion along with mountain biking), but I'm just after nice deep powder snow, and lots of fun challenging terrain so I don't get bored after a few weeks, so steep chutes, open bowls, some small cliff drops, that kinda thing. I felt like when I was in Whistler there were a lot people there who were more interested in partying than skiing, its definitely the other way around for me. I just wanna be somewhere where everyone is getting stoked on skiing!!

Ive heard Fernie is very good, and also Kicking horse, I remember some one saying KH was a bit of a one trick pony though?!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you want the Champange Powder

You won't find it very often in Fernie...

The best is from Canmore and about as far west as Golden, and you have to stay North where the moutains are high....some years the area doesn't get much snow...but when it does it is the very best.

Kananakis has it but you have to ski up as well as down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    If you want the Champange Powder

You won't find it very often in Fernie...

The best is from Canmore and about as far west as Golden, and you have to stay North where the moutains are high....some years the area doesn't get much snow...but when it does it is the very best.

Kananakis has it but you have to ski up as well as down.
    Wow, really? It does depend on the season, but I've had more big fluffy powder days here than anywhere I've lived other than Powder King, when we have a powder year we get tons (it can rain too, but not every year). The last 2 years were insane, and Dec. this year was off the hook (I'm 6'4" and the snow was flowing over my head while on a powder board) - but admittedly not much since other than yesterday and today. I've had good powder days at Louise (awesome terrain) and Sunshine, but it's been bigger and deeper here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Wow, really? It does depend on the season, but I've had more big fluffy powder days here than anywhere I've lived other than Powder King, when we have a powder year we get tons (it can rain too, but not every year). The last 2 years were insane, and Dec. this year was off the hook (I'm 6'4" and the snow was flowing over my head while on a powder board) - but admittedly not much since other than yesterday and today. I've had good powder days at Louise (awesome terrain) and Sunshine, but it's been bigger and deeper here.
    Fernie is noted for its wet heavy snow.

It rarely gets cold and often rain occurs mid season.

From todays Forecast

ISSUED: Monday March 18, 2013 09:00 MDT

SYNOPSIS: The combination of a low level easterly flow of cold air from Alberta with a vigorous pacific upper level system produced an epic snowstorm for the resort yesterday. This system is now well to the east, but any sun this morning will be short lived, as cloud increases ahead of a weak frontal wave moving in from the northwest. A light fall of snow can be expected this afternoon, but nothing like the excitement of yesterday. For Tuesday a weak surface high pressure ridge behind the system will produce a dry day with some sunshine. The rest of the week looks unsettled, with Wednesday seeing a warm up and possible showers, Thursday and Friday cooler with occasional snow.

FREEZING LEVEL: Remaining in the valley bottoms for the next 2 days.

FERNIE ALPINE RESORT FORECAST:

TODAY: A few breaks this morning. Otherwise mainly cloudy. Periods of light snow this afternoon. Accumulation 3 to 6 cm. High minus 3.

TONIGHT: Chance of flurries this evening, then partial clearing overnight. Low near minus 10.

TUESDAY: Mostly sunny. High minus 2.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Increasing cloud. Low near minus 6.

OUTLOOK:

WEDNESDAY: Mostly cloudy with a 60 percent chance of wet flurries or showers. High plus 2.

THURSDAY: Mostly cloudy with occasional snow. Morning low minus 2. High near zero.

FRIDAY: Occasional snow. Low minus 5. High near minus 2.

CONFIDENCE/DISCUSSION: Generally fair to good confidence for the next day or two. The situation mid week on is more complex. Freezing levels will rise on Wednesday but tough to say how much. It looks like the base elevation will get above freezing. Computer models are bringing most of the energy of this system farther to the south of the area. As the system moves east and south of us, some colder air will be sucked back down from the northwest, so any precipitation after Wednesday will be in the solid form. Right now it looks like light snowfalls Thursday and Friday, but could be moderate depending on how things develop. Strong upper level south to southwest winds can be expected Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Chris Cowan.

Grip it and rip it.
    Well I'm sure the snow in Fernie is drier than the snow in Whistler??!!

mtbr member
    Yup. It's often pretty dry at the top half of the mountain. Most of the wetter stuff is lower on the hill, honestly unless it's the spring the upper half is pretty sweet. I've routinely hit fluffy powder in the trees higher up.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the help so far. I'm really just all about the skiing (it's my main passion along with mountain biking), but I'm just after nice deep powder snow, and lots of fun challenging terrain so I don't get bored after a few weeks, so steep chutes, open bowls, some small cliff drops, that kinda thing. I just wanna be somewhere where everyone is getting stoked on skiing!!
    If you want great skiing then clearly you have not been to Revy or Nelson.
    That would be my choice!

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    If you want great skiing then clearly you have not been to Revy or Nelson.
    That would be my choice!
    Is there many people doing a season in Revelstoke though? I got the impression it was the kinda place people only went to for a few days. Wouldn't want to be the only seassonaire there!